Hi-Fi: the ones you should’ve kept...

naka

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 24, 2015
Within all my gear, and I have enough to set up five systems, there are some pieces that I feel that I will never sell and others that are just passing through.
To put things in a funny perspective, and because I don’t have a pet anymore:
With the first ones, I kind of made some involuntary pact, developed from the respect and admiration for the machine, the SQ performance, engineering, design and pleasure to use.
With the later ones, it is a relation made of curiosity for the engineering and affordability, and they will be easy to let go when the time comes.

The in the first group are:
- Naim Nac122x + Flatcap 2x + Nap150x (far too good for it worth now)
- Kef LS50 speakers (just because they can sound great... in some combinations)
- Duevel Planets speakers (these magical little things can fill a room with “live” music)
- Roksan Darius Mk IV (cannot put it in to words)

But all over the years, like most audiophiles, I have buying and selling gear, searching for better (sometimes, just different) way to hear the music, and made some major mistakes not keeping some pieces I really miss.
Like:
- Plinius 8150 integrated amplifier
- Michaelson Audio Odysseus integrated amplifier
- Sonus Faber Concertino Mk I
- Rega Planet Mk I cd player
- Sony CDP X3000 ES cd player
- Sonic Frontiers Line 2 pre amplifier

All now impossible to obtain in good condition.

1671222043615.jpeg

What are the components you regret letting go?

wainwj

Wammer
Wammer
May 7, 2014
SPEC Corp RSA-M3EX amp stands out. Had some kind of magic with my big Tannoys. Also, some Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S speakers.

Reactions: naka

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Celef Domestic II speakers. I bought a pair new in the '80s and got rid of them for space reasons in favour of a pair of much inferior bookshelf speakers...big mistake.

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Voyd The Voyd with Helius Cyalene ref no. 00001
Audio Innovations 2nd Audios 2a3 mono valve amps
XTC/Orelle Pow 1 power amp, more than the 2nds!
Milltek Olympia Cartridge
Micro Benz Glider
Impulse H2

Together now would have been a formidable system!

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Most things. It's easier to list the items I haven't missed.

Mainly a full set of this gear.

Attachments

• Pioneer C73 pre amp.jpg
    Pioneer C73 pre amp.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 10
  • Pioneer M73 amp.jpeg
    Pioneer M73 amp.jpeg
    60.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

lostwin

Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Within all my gear, and I have enough to set up five systems, there are some pieces that I feel that I will never sell and others that are just passing through.
To put things in a funny perspective, and because I don’t have a pet anymore:
With the first ones, I kind of made some involuntary pact, developed from the respect and admiration for the machine, the SQ performance, engineering, design and pleasure to use.
With the later ones, it is a relation made of curiosity for the engineering and affordability, and they will be easy to let go when the time comes.

The in the first group are:
- Naim Nac122x + Flatcap 2x + Nap150x (far too good for it worth now)
- Kef LS50 speakers (just because they can sound great... in some combinations)
- Duevel Planets speakers (these magical little things can fill a room with “live” music)
- Roksan Darius Mk IV (cannot put it in to words)

But all over the years, like most audiophiles, I have buying and selling gear, searching for better (sometimes, just different) way to hear the music, and made some major mistakes not keeping some pieces I really miss.
Like:
- Plinius 8150 integrated amplifier
- Michaelson Audio Odysseus integrated amplifier
- Sonus Faber Concertino Mk I
- Rega Planet Mk I cd player
- Sony CDP X3000 ES cd player
- Sonic Frontiers Line 2 pre amplifier

All now impossible to obtain in good condition.

1671222043615.jpeg

What are the components you regret letting go?
Wow, I remember lusting after that Odysseus amp about 30 year’s ago. Completely bonkers, but good I take it?

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Actually, there are a few bits, thinking about it. I try and keep the hifi self-funding within reason, so in the past, some thigs have gone to make room for others. Main ones off the top of my head: Voyd Valdi, Transfiguration Phoenix, Opus 21. That's it really.

My main 'regret' list is things I could and should have bought, but didn't.

robin

Good bye
Wammer Plus
Dec 6, 2006
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Actually, there are a few bits, thinking about it. I try and keep the hifi self-funding within reason, so in the past, some thigs have gone to make room for others. Main ones off the top of my head: Voyd Valdi, Transfiguration Phoenix, Opus 21. That's it really.

My main 'regret' list is things I could and should have bought, but didn't.
I bought the valdi, sold it on after a couple of years, the weight of the arm and cable, audio note arm 2/3 and how it affected the balance of the suspension was what prompted me to move on, got back what I paid you for it, so good memories

It Cost How Much!?!

Twisted
Wammer
Oct 27, 2008
Hartford, Cheshire
AKA
Bob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had a Michaelson Audio Odysseus about 20 years ago, sounded OK, sharp edges that would slice your fingers (the wrap around cover with holes for the valves). Mine was very unreliable so was moved on. Far nicer was an Mk1 Audio Innovations S500 I moved on, and have subsequently bought again.

wHIZZY

Measured Subjectivist
Wammer
Apr 12, 2016
Sunny Devon
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
EAR-509, sold it to finance the Graaf.

Graaf GM50, only 50w but would drive just about any speaker

Trichord Revelation CDP, a Trichord tweaked Pioneer 509 CD player

Last edited:

lazycat

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Dec 20, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My main 'regret' list is things I could and should have bought, but didn't

I have mild regrets about selling my Kans, but I'd moved into a much bigger place and they were too small.

But, as @rabski says, it's the kit that got away that irks more. And I'm not much of a hoarder, when I've finished with something away it goes.

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sonus Faber Amator 2. Glorious sounding and to look at. Crazy prices now and most are without their dedicated stands.

• Love
Reactions: Esee

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I bought the valdi, sold it on after a couple of years, the weight of the arm and cable, audio note arm 2/3 and how it affected the balance of the suspension was what prompted me to move on, got back what I paid you for it, so good memories
Biggest issue I had was simply that there was no wall shelf in my setup at the time, and suspended decks never worked here.

If I had it now, I'd have replaced the arm cable with a lighter one (the Yannis ones are excellent) and persevered with the setup.

naka

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 24, 2015
My regrets are related to the feeling of “different / newer is not better” and also that I am certain that I never have bought a bad component, just done less successful combinations.
I know that know, but it took a long time to experiment and process.
The Michaelson Audio Odysseus was paired with the Sonus Faber Concertino (on Target R4 stands) and a Meridian 506.24 cd player and the sound was glorious. But my brother abused the amp to insane levels and burned something, so I had to trade it for my first Plinius 8150.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles