Legend Wammer
New Wammer
Jul 10, 2016
London
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you have a spare hour this presentation by Mark Waldrep of AIX records is interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:

ff1d1l

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 20, 2010
Snowdonia
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Good video by someone who knows what they're talking about.

Summary? Nargh, watch it yourself.

Interesting points raised that stuck in my memory after watching...that Hi Def should equal or exceed the human ear's specification. He does not consider analogue tape, vinyl, dsd/sacd or cd to offer anything beyond what he would call standard definition, and he argues convincingly to justify his POV.

That the DR site ratings are meaningless as the whole track including fade-out is assessed, and thus skews the DR rating - readings should be taken after start to before fade out when he says they'll be a more realistic 6db or so.

That "master quality" flat transfers of classic albums should be offered, and we could all just remaster them ourselves to taste using mobile phone computing power. That HD versions of classic albums, even from a good analogue source, are not HD....

PuritéAudio

Legend Wammer
New Wammer
Jul 10, 2016
London
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I thought it interesting, he is principally arguing for agreed standards, Mark has been in the news recently when he received a 'cease and desist' order from a well known cable manufacturer when he suggested that they were not using the very same piece of music for their cable demonstrations.

Keith

ff1d1l

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 20, 2010
Snowdonia
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ah yes, I remember that. The explanation of perceived differences at the Nordost dem he was offering was rather more plausible than, say, cables sounding different.

George 47

Subjectivist
Staff member
Jan 1, 2006
United Kingdom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes and he stopped saying they had rigged it.

Oddly enough no one else has said this about Nordost yet the claimed fiddle is easy to spot. You play track 1, swap the cables and then play a different track. Never spotted it when I heard them, or different volume level and as they restarted the track there was not two parts to the same track. Must have been a con though as the measurements are the same? 

Clubsport911

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 19, 2013
Cheltenham
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Fascinating, but not altogether unsurprising. The comment for me was that it's meaningless to chase high bitrate, the DR is simply too high to work with considering our own noise floor. For those investing in HR, it's all a bit of a con, unless you High Res from start to finish.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online