Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's only 45 minutes each way for me, so Im planning to be there on the Saturday and Sunday. Will be good to catch up with a few people in person again. Already have the scissors and shredding machine ready for the bank cards on Friday.

DUVET

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 7, 2021
Middle
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's only 45 minutes each way for me, so Im planning to be there on the Saturday and Sunday. Will be good to catch up with a few people in person again. Already have the scissors and shredding machine ready for the bank cards on Friday.

I know you do not need reminding . Sharp as a tack and all that so I will just d
say Pioneer ;)

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I will probably go Saturday and Sunday as it’s not too far for me and it’s a really good venue that does take a couple of days to take it all in

George 47

Subjectivist
Staff member
Jan 1, 2006
United Kingdom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I will probably go Saturday and Sunday as it’s not too far for me and it’s a really good venue that does take a couple of days to take it all in
Ahhh but they are limiting the number of exhibitors to ensure you can spend more time in each room and not have too much filler. It is being run by those nice people from Cranage. And Audionote and Absolute Sounds will be running their top systems which means I can just about afford entry into the room but no more.

Reactions: bigrod

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just ordered Saturday tickets for @Lurch @Speedracer and myself, see you all there.
Robin, @Lurch @Speedracer thanks for letting me know about the show and I will see you guys on Sunday. I can only stay for the morning before heading off to Gatwick.

I suspect that I will be predominantly in the Living Voice and Audio Note rooms but am also interested in Audio Research, Koetsu and Origin Live.

Last edited:

Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Missing this one sadly.

We’re over in Ireland this weekend clearing out the last of the late in-laws’ house so it can be sold.

🥺

• Sad
Reactions: Nopiano

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Unfortunately Robin (wizmax) & Brook (@Speedracer) called in sick this morning, so decided not the waste fuel on a solo run up. Hopefully next time, roll on Ascot & Daventry to get my fix of overpriced audio exotica.

• Sad
Reactions: Gizza and DomT

JezR

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 3, 2009
Brighton, UK
AKA
Jez
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had a good day out today, It's been years since I've been to a hi fi show, didn't know what to expect, a bit smaller then I imagined but what was there was quality and enjoyed most of the systems.

Said a few quick hellos and now back home listening to my system, no post show blues, it's still sounding good.

Reactions: rabski and DUVET

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
An enlightening and interesting first day, and really nice to see some old faces and catch up with a few people.

Much like previous shows there, the hotel put on a seriously well run event, but the rooms are far from ideal and more than a few exhibitors were still having problems.

What was interesting as always is the difference between 'impresive' and 'music'. There were a few systems that had some of the wow factor, but that got near painful quite quickly. There were, I have to say, also a few that were painful right from the off. Doubtless there is some personal taste involved, but I have always been quite sensitive to upper mids and treble being 'right' and quite a few were anything but right.

One or two surprises for me. DarTZeel amps and Magico speakers I would have imagined as ear-reaming specials, whereas they proved detailed but very listenable. Admittedly, with an excellent vinyl source and decent music, but very listenable to my ears anyway. The KEF room was pretty good also. I think they could have been accused of trying a bit too hard, and actually a few dB less would have been better, but again there was no unpleasantness going on.

A couple of pairs of Wilsons sounded decent, though the 1960s kitchen cabinet blue paint was a 'brave' choice to put it mildly. Not my personal taste in presentation, but certainly good.

In line with my personal taste in presentation, I have to award stars to Audio Note and Definitive Audio. For the latter, Kevin and Lynn (with Simon of SJS) were giving the new R80 what is (I think) their first public outing, and very impressive they were too, with big scale and dynamics. Audio Note were also there with their new field coil speakers, which similarly impressed, notably sounding very open and free from 'grain'.

Back again tomorrow for a more extended listen to a few rooms. Today was 'catch up'. I'll try and pack a camera as well.

mayebaza

Wammer
Wammer
May 5, 2014
West Midlands
AKA
Barrington
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Returning back to this venue was like visiting an old friend you have not seen for a while. Besides seeing the hifi hardcore exoctica up close and personal, in a spaceouse setting, the free bubbly, tea, cocktails, biscuits, fruit and nibbles, makes it, easily, one of the finest shows I have been to in a long time.

DUVET

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 7, 2021
Middle
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Excellently run by the organisers but bar snacks took ages to arrive . I quite like mine to arrive a few minutes after the purchase of pint and not while it was empty.
Large rooms and scope for big speakers to breathe you think would be a good combination. I think some got twitchy on the volume level when they didn't need to . The choice of music as always makes me chuckle . Here is a tip . When you put on a piece of music to showcase the system and six people immediately get up and leave the room . You chose the wrong music .

So loved the Auden room and Rab didn't . Eggelstone works speakers were great but a bit bass heavy and pulled further into the room would have been my tip . Was not that impressed with most of the rooms . The acoustic treatment needed was actually to carpet off the vast expanse off bare surfaces . Good efforts go to the MBL room and the Audiopax room .
The room I retuned to the most was Bovey Distribution. IMG_4593.jpeg

The speakers were Kroma and only £29 K . Yes I know but there were far more expensive at the show . From a spellbinding Johnny Cash "Sounds of Silence " to Metallica and " Nothing else matters " they were right up my street .

Last edited:

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I visited for just 90 minutes today and heard either just one or two tracks in most of the rooms. Some rooms I went back to. Over all I had three observations a) more of the rooms were enjoyable than at other shows and b) apart from the Vertere room all of the turntable based systems sounded better than the digital front end system by some margin c) too much ‘HiFi demo’ music being played.

My favourite room by a long way had a large pair of DeVore speakers sitting on the floor and a huge valve amp and turntable. Sounded like music to me. And it was great to bump into Steve who was managing the room and used to own KJ West One and with whom I had previously spent a lot of money with. Not sure of the models or prices but here are two photos
6F017DD8-8466-4C35-B864-2D07A46B2C05.jpeg ACEE3069-E8B7-4BA2-A695-27D67B868DD7.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles