Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just turned my system on for the first time following the Show. I was hoping not to have to ask if anyone have a spare £200k they can lend me?

Fortunately, these 40 year old speakers can easily fight their corner. Perhaps my system doesn’t have the definition and authority of some I heard, but they have expression and verve that seems to more than compensate.

Looks like I have survived unscathed - is everyone else happy too?

Gizza

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Mar 12, 2011
Sutton Coldfield
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ahh Gary I love that but Chet did two versions one when he was healthy and one after his fall which one do you live ?
Only just spotted your comment and question, sorry Andrew. I didn't know about this fact. I'm guessing it's the earlier version but I'm going to have to check that when I get 5! I love his playing and his singing too.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just turned my system on for the first time following the Show. I was hoping not to have to ask if anyone have a spare £200k they can lend me?

Fortunately, these 40 year old speakers can easily fight their corner. Perhaps my system doesn’t have the definition and authority of some I heard, but they have expression and verve that seems to more than compensate.

With the small (or not so small) caveat that I'm launching some of my heard earned in Definitive Audio's direction, I'm nevertheless very happy with the sounds here after the sounds at the show. The upgrade was planned before the show anyway, so it's by the by.

There were a few things that did what mine does but with better dynamic range, but they're so far out of my price bracket that I don't care. On the other hand, there was plenty there that made me very happy with what I have, so I call that a win.

lostwin

Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
With the small (or not so small) caveat that I'm launching some of my heard earned in Definitive Audio's direction, I'm nevertheless very happy with the sounds here after the sounds at the show. The upgrade was planned before the show anyway, so it's by the by.

There were a few things that did what mine does but with better dynamic range, but they're so far out of my price bracket that I don't care. On the other hand, there was plenty there that made me very happy with what I have, so I call that a win.
Yes, the overwhelming impression I was left with was that top end Show systems had a grip and control - especially during complex passages of music- that I could tell was a differentiator. At what cost though, the marginal gains at this level start to get extremely spendy and the profit margins somewhat questionable.

And that’s before you get to the elephant in the room on recording quality, which makes a much bigger difference anyway whatever you play it on.

Rather than spend on component upgrades, I have come back determined to try more room treatments, as this was a serious limitation in most of the show rooms. I kind of knew before, but I am going to double down in that direction next.

DUVET

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 7, 2021
Middle
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I love the dissection of any show . It throws up many things namely that none of us have the right to lord it over others as to what they should be looking for . Some times we all find a system where the Venn diagram occurs and the common consensus happens but most of the time its the little things in system that make us go wow and other go yeah good but not quite for me .

Last edited:

davidf

Wammer
Oct 21, 2017
One thing I’d like to point out though, is that none of us are familiar with the rooms in which these systems were set up in, and none of us (normally) play at the levels required for a show. On top of this, there’s far more background noise at shows, and if we heard one of those show systems in our own room, it would sound massively better, especially revealing of tiny nuances that are lost at shows.

Reactions: Gizza and lostwin

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Whenever I go to a show it’s unlikely that I will buy anything other than a record or two ,or occasionally some cable if it’s on offer . Certainly at High End shows practically everything is way beyond my budget ,
It’s a great way to get to talk to like minded people and make new acquaintances..
What I go for is to listen to what other people think is the dogs doo dahs . , compared to what I may think ..
I also think long term as to what may be a good buy 5 to 10 years down the road second hand when some of it may become affordable, trouble is , that was ok 20 / 30 years ago but now I’m running out of time …🤔
I’m very grateful that companies spend the time and effort to let the likes of me sit , and in the main enjoy the music with no hassle .. And one should always thank them as you leave the room even if it’s not your thing..

Gizza

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Mar 12, 2011
Sutton Coldfield
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ahh Gary I love that but Chet did two versions one when he was healthy and one after his fall which one do you live ?
Hi Andrew, this is the version I that is my favourite, from the album entitled 'The Original Quartet', which was recorded in the very early days and obviously has Gerry Mulligan playing too. Just listened to the whole album on Qobuz, and it's excellent. I did a bit of research and found that it's for sale as a double cd, whereas the Qobuz version is just cd1 ☹️. The only downside is that it's mono, of which I'm not really a fan as I like hear stereo seperation. Then again, I find that these early jazz recordings have great presence.

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Am very happy as I had previously mentioned even with quite a lowly third system. If we have built a system for ourselves then it’s to our taste. There is always something better but it’s not necessarily worth worrying about.

Reactions: bigrod and Tony_J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles