Wammer
Wammer
Feb 3, 2007
Darkest Yorkshire
AKA
tallow vendor
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I bought x of these(including a subscription) where x = a very large number.
Noel Keywood is a great reviewer, similar in some ways to the late Geoffrey Horn,

freefallrob

Mazda RX-8 & Subaru fan.
Wammer
Nov 9, 2018
Swanwick
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Very sad to see this go, I was a buyer and subscriber on and off for a long time and enjoyed Noel’s, Adams @Beobloke and David Prices reviews and articles a lot, they even replied to my letters! Nice guys in person too👍.

Thanks chaps.

cidertrance

New Wammer
Jul 16, 2022
Sydney
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sad news, HFW was my favourite magazine too, although being in Oz now I hadn't bought it for a year, which a digital version would have helped with.... Noel & the team had a great knack of using consistent terminology and educating around the topic, so you just knew the characteristic a component would bestow. Pretty much the only mag I read the readers letters & responses! There was clear effort to find relative audio 'bargains' and alternative brands that maybe didn't have as large advertising budgets.

Rayymondo

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 10, 2018
North Somerset UK
AKA
Raymond
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Funnily enough someone was moaning on a local Fb community page that he bought a copy of Hifi World in the local Smiths but when he realised it wasn't this months he returned it and was upset he didn't get a refund. I gently pointed out to him that the mag had gone bust and he had the last ever copy in his hands but gave it back! I expect he wished he kept it now. Sad news though, I guess most people look online for news and reviews etc. I used to buy various hifi publications myself, but have not purchased for a few years. A sign of the times.

manisandher

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2013
Leamington Spa
AKA
Mani
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Haha... I did a few reviews for HFW back in 2001-2002, which don't seem to be available online... probably just as well ;-)

My reviews were printed in full and there was never any interference from Simon Pope or anyone else at HFW.

I really enjoyed reviewing the Wilson Benesch Arc speakers. (Went on to buy a pair of Chimeras as a result.)

Shame it's closed its doors. But all good things 'n' all that...

Mani.

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That looks like a great archive, thanks. I’m a bit miffed that issues a subscribed to electronically have been wiped. Unfortunately, my iPad is struggling to display these at the moment, so I’ll look again later.
It's a bit slow to load each pdf, that maybe why you are having difficulties. Big files, I suppose. Be patient and they open eventually. It's a great resource to have, and I'm grateful for the post

• Thanks
Reactions: Nopiano

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's a bit slow to load each pdf, that maybe why you are having difficulties. Big files, I suppose. Be patient and they open eventually. It's a great resource to have, and I'm grateful for the post
The old ones are slow but work for me. The newer ones load in a flash but then crash. So either Apple is as described, or there is a bug in the script, or a corrupted file, or summat.

newlash09

Iam deaf at the ears, but way more dumb in between
Wammer
Aug 10, 2018
India
AKA
Y.Manohar / mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't know if the app zinio is popular in UK. Iam not using it currently. But one can subscribe to most of the digital versions of magazines from round the world. And the subscription is cheaper than printed copy, as no transportation, distribution or printing charges. So maybe an alternative for publishers working on narrow margins with a dwindling reader base of printed editions. Just a thought...

Metatron

Aurally Satisfied
Wammer
Jan 15, 2009
Remote
AKA
Varies by deed poll
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I do take your point and yes YouTube is on the rise but not sure my knuckle duster Sarf London accent would be better than the written word 😁
Just dye your hair multiple colours and declare you identify yourself as a marginalized unicorn.

Seems to be the modern way.

• Haha
Reactions: Lurch and George 47

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Staff online