Hifiman Sundara

DUVET

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 7, 2021
Middle
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ok so had these nearly two weeks . They are really opening up . Quite a different presentation to the Senn's but then quite similar in other aspects as in clarity . First off these cans never get confused . They are quick and using the Usb output via the Hifi Rose RS150B into the RME upsampling 32 /768 is breeze . Like the Rose these cans walk that fine line of incisive but never crossing that sibilant line . They are a little bass light but you can tune that in on the RME . I found to begin with the stereo image was maybe a tad too wide but a little dabble with crossfeed on the RME sorted that . This Sundara / RME combo is powerful and there is no distortion . Danger is that because of that fact you will probably have hearing problems before you realise it . As too comfort this trounces my Sennheiser HD 600 which even though 15 years old still have what feels a vice like grip on my head after prolonged listening . I have bought and am waiting for it to be delivered an after market power supply for the RME ADI headphone amp . My temptation is now looking at the Ananda and Ayra models

Last edited:

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ok so had these nearly two weeks . They are really opening up . Quite a different presentation to the Senn's but then quite similar in other aspects as in clarity . First off these cans never get confused . They are quick and using the Usb output via the Hifi Rose RS150B into the RME upsampling 32 /768 is breeze . Like the Rose these cans walk that fine line of incisive but never crossing that sibilant line . They are a little bass light but you can tune that in on the RME . I found to begin with the stereo image was maybe a tad too wide but a little dabble with crossfeed on the RME sorted that . This Sundara / RME combo is powerful and there is no distortion . Danger is that because of that fact you will probably have hearing problems before you realise it . As too comfort this trounces my Sennheiser HD 600 which even though 15 years old still have what feels a vice like grip on my head after prolonged listening . I have bought and am waiting for it to be delivered an after market power supply for the RME ADI headphone amp . My temptation is now looking at the Ananda and Ayra models
You are hearing what planars can do over dynamic drivers.

Be interested how you get on with the PSU for the RME as the two I have used made no difference at all. What PSU have you bought? what do you think a PSU is going to add? The fact RME themselves are releasing a PSU for it and state it won't change the sound tells you everything you need to know.

The crossfeed is a nice feature, works great on jazz recordings from the late 50's and early 60's where they seemed to want to see how far they could use stereo.

The Arya are very good but I can't live with that build quality at that price. My hifi snobbery kicks in.

Have you listened to some Depeche Mode on them? I find planars really shine on those electronic beats.

Last edited:
Reactions: deggie and DUVET

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've had a pair of Sundara for a while.
They are my go-to for an easy, fairly relaxed listen.
Open, spacious, smooth musical flow is where they are at, for me.

I've tried them with quite a few amps, including some that can shove several watts up the jacksie. They never go POW for me, I just don't think that's their nature.

If I want a WizzBam listen then I'd go to my Oppo PM3 or the slightly less excitable but more full bodied Monolith M1570.
If I just want to sink into a warm bath of luxuriously smooth liquid chocolate then out come the Audioquest Nighthawk.

I've got quite a few headphones, OK I've got 14 pairs, but if I had to gradually reduce my collection I think the Sundara would be hanging around with the surviving few. There's nothing sensational about them, apart from their lack of sensationalism. That's actually quite unusual in a good headphone ime.
Very natural and enjoyable imo.

DUVET

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 7, 2021
Middle
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Be interested how you get on with the PSU for the RME as the two I have used made no difference at all. What PSU have you bought? what do you think a PSU is going to add? The fact RME themselves are releasing a PSU for it and state it won't change the sound tells you everything you need to know.
Bought it off Fleabay £129

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Reactions: griffo104

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ordered a pair, because 'why not'.

Actually, 'why not' could apply to the fact that I need to throw together a headphone amp really. Ah well...

DUVET

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 7, 2021
Middle
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ok I think the addition of an after market supply is an improvement on first impressions but will listen for a couple of weeks and then use the original power supply and draw my conclusions

Reactions: savvypaul

DUVET

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 7, 2021
Middle
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You've reminded me that I have an SBooster on my RME...and a pair of Sundaras...and a pair of Aryas.

You can see my dilemma . I have according to the designer an integrated amplifier spread over four boxes . So power supplies to improve performance I may already be assimilated .

IMG_0047.jpeg

Reactions: avinunca1

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I just checked over my systems and currently I have into double figures of seperate LPSU . I am thinking about adding to this which is not very sane but once the Borg gets you it hard to resist . And yes I do think it sounds better but that may just be my programming .

• Haha
Reactions: DUVET

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I just checked over my systems and currently I have into double figures of seperate LPSU . I am thinking about adding to this which is not very sane but once the Borg gets you it hard to resist . And yes I do think it sounds better but that may just be my programming .
You've been assimilated!

Reactions: DUVET and bencat

Drummerman

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 19, 2018
I've had a pair of Sundara for a while.
They are my go-to for an easy, fairly relaxed listen.
Open, spacious, smooth musical flow is where they are at, for me.

I've tried them with quite a few amps, including some that can shove several watts up the jacksie. They never go POW for me, I just don't think that's their nature.

If I want a WizzBam listen then I'd go to my Oppo PM3 or the slightly less excitable but more full bodied Monolith M1570.
If I just want to sink into a warm bath of luxuriously smooth liquid chocolate then out come the Audioquest Nighthawk.

I've got quite a few headphones, OK I've got 14 pairs, but if I had to gradually reduce my collection I think the Sundara would be hanging around with the surviving few. There's nothing sensational about them, apart from their lack of sensationalism. That's actually quite unusual in a good headphone ime.
Very natural and enjoyable imo.
That is a good summing up of the Sundara. I think some will think what is all the fuss about. That they don't excel in any way but also don't have any serious omissions makes them attractive at their price. They also EQ well.

• Thanks
Reactions: JANDL100 and deggie

dicy

Veteran Wammer
Wammer Plus
Apr 24, 2006
Lewes
AKA
Rich
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Daft question (almost definitely) but what is the difference between the black and yellow versions of the Sundara?

And which version are you using (Danny, Jerry, Rich?)

The yellow ones seem to be cheaper

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yellow?
Never seen or heard of yellow!

I know there's a closed back version of the Sundara, maybe they are yellow?

I have the black, open back '2020' Sundara. (The 2020 is the latest version).

Reactions: dicy and deggie

dicy

Veteran Wammer
Wammer Plus
Apr 24, 2006
Lewes
AKA
Rich
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I need a new pair and both The Sundara and Nighthawk sound very tempting.

Might keep an eye out for a used pair of either

DUVET

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 7, 2021
Middle
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I need to learn to leave things alone for a bit . My listening habits vary . Could be streaming for a few weeks then vinyl and when she needs a good nights sleep the cans are used. So the Sundara's are very good for the money . Not ready to move to Ayra's in one fell swoop so the Ananda's might be the next step.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Petjamrut

Latest Articles