HK 6550 Amp - Seems to be expiring slowly

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
8,561
45
0
UK
Jost posted this in the classifieds section on Darren's HK thread :

My belovedHK6550 decided togive up the ghost today well, I am hoping I can do a bit of DIY to sort out what is wrong, volume 1/4 of normal, fuzzy sounding, I think the Dyn 1.3 IIs may have fizzled the amp, was not even me, SWMBO was listening to the tuner at normal levels, then the voume slowly went quieter & quieter as she was listening, sure enough I tried tonight normal listening levels are 8-10oclock on the volume pot having to go to past 12-1 oclock then itssounding distinctly ropey and distant - ie sounds like a veil is over the speakers, I am hoping its the pre-amp thatis acting up and I can use the PA section.

sad.png
:(:(Sad x 3 !!!!

Any one got any clues, I will try out the PA only via the Primare, but other than the volume pot going I cant imagine what on earth is wrong, there is output from both channels, I used the balance selector but it sounded like 1/4 of normal volume and 1/10th of normal SQ.

Anyone sees one going cheap give me a shout will ya !!

 

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
11,684
4,372
208
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Send it to me, I know a nice man in Bham who'll fix it.
wink.png


From my recent experience if this sort of thing happened to my amp I wouldn't bother trying to get it repaired, just dump it and buy another one. Life's too short and it's not like it's a limited edition or anything one-off.

 

Jezzer

Passionate
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
9,796
1,171
193
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Sorry to hear the bad news CJ.
sad.png


I wonder what could be wrong with the amp?
71_71.gif.90e48c720ca56a2d2fa0532dd3380cc7.gif


 

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
8,561
45
0
UK
Jezzer wrote:

Sorry to hear the bad news CJ.
sad.png
I wonder what could be wrong with the amp?
71_71.gif.90e48c720ca56a2d2fa0532dd3380cc7.gif
I dont know Jerry (maybe this is a delayed reaction to the 3 nights in mid-winter out in my back garden
biggrin.png
), but It has led a "full life" till it decided to slowly leave the building. Feel bad even thinking about chucking it in the bin, keep those eyes peeled for a 6550 or 690 old chap.

I am back to the Primare/Dyn 1.3 combo and am using the Sony QS 925 AV amp into the Diapasons in the meantime
sad.png
52_52.gif.e7819fa8e7d4f2f3fde0ccbe63a52c2a.gif
sad.png


 

Jezzer

Passionate
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
9,796
1,171
193
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
cjr wrote:

Jezzer wrote:
Sorry to hear the bad news CJ.
sad.png
I wonder what could be wrong with the amp?
71_71.gif.90e48c720ca56a2d2fa0532dd3380cc7.gif
I dont know Jerry (maybe this is a delayed reaction to the 3 nights in mid-winter out in my back garden
biggrin.png
), but It has led a "full life" till it decided to slowly leave the building. Feel bad even thinking about chucking it in the bin, keep those eyes peeled for a 6550 or 690 old chap.

I am back to the Primare/Dyn 1.3 combo and am using the Sony QS 925 AV amp into the Diapasons in the meantime
sad.png
52_52.gif.e7819fa8e7d4f2f3fde0ccbe63a52c2a.gif
sad.png
Well, I don't think you should chuck it before finding out what's wrong with it first!
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif


(but then again these amps cost about the same as a decent repair (eh TIU?
wink.png
))

A quick search on eBay has revealedtwo HK680's (and a HK660
71_71.gif.90e48c720ca56a2d2fa0532dd3380cc7.gif
). All in Germany (those Germans love their Harman Kardon kit).
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif


I am sure the Primare/Dyn 1.3 combo doesn't sound that bad... :pThough I must admit the Primare lacks the BALLS of any Harman Kardon kit I've had the pleasure of owning...
74_74.gif.e35fe9be22561407fdbfee747b876f81.gif


 

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
8,561
45
0
UK
Jezzer wrote:

cjr wrote:
Jezzer wrote:
Sorry to hear the bad news CJ.
sad.png
I wonder what could be wrong with the amp?
71_71.gif.90e48c720ca56a2d2fa0532dd3380cc7.gif
I dont know Jerry (maybe this is a delayed reaction to the 3 nights in mid-winter out in my back garden
biggrin.png
), but It has led a "full life" till it decided to slowly leave the building. Feel bad even thinking about chucking it in the bin, keep those eyes peeled for a 6550 or 690 old chap.

I am back to the Primare/Dyn 1.3 combo and am using the Sony QS 925 AV amp into the Diapasons in the meantime
sad.png
52_52.gif.e7819fa8e7d4f2f3fde0ccbe63a52c2a.gif
sad.png
Well, I don't think you should chuck it before finding out what's wrong with it first!
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif


(but then again these amps cost about the same as a decent repair (eh TIU?
wink.png
))

A quick search on eBay has revealedtwo HK680's (and a HK660
71_71.gif.90e48c720ca56a2d2fa0532dd3380cc7.gif
). All in Germany (those Germans love their Harman Kardon kit).
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif


I am sure the Primare/Dyn 1.3 combo doesn't sound that bad... :pThough I must admit the Primare lacks the BALLS of any Harman Kardon kit I've had the pleasure of owning...
74_74.gif.e35fe9be22561407fdbfee747b876f81.gif
Getting someone to poke their conk inside the casework will be £30 to £50 I reckon, that is 1/3 or 1/2 of a new 6550 - even from Germany. No I shall bide my time till a peach comes up Jerry. Hifi Lipzieg will have a regualr browser I reckon
wink.png
.

 

Jezzer

Passionate
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
9,796
1,171
193
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I know you're not keen on the looks of the HK680 CJ but it's seriously worthy of consideration....

 

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
8,561
45
0
UK
Jezzer wrote:

I am sure the Primare/Dyn 1.3 combo doesn't sound that bad... :pThough I must admit the Primare lacks the BALLS of any Harman Kardon kit I've had the pleasure of owning...
74_74.gif.e35fe9be22561407fdbfee747b876f81.gif
OhI dont know Jerry, get the Primare up past 45 and it can shift, but a small nagging voice reminds me of Curtis here, who I recall (IIRC) gave his A30.1 a pasting with his 1.3 IIs.

 

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
8,561
45
0
UK
Jezzer wrote:

I know you're not keen on the looks of the HK680 CJ but it's seriously worthy of consideration....
I will consider it Jerry, what's your viewson the HK6800 ? one in HifiLipzieg just now for a ridiculously low price.

 

Jezzer

Passionate
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
9,796
1,171
193
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I notice thatlisting has DEFEKT written in big red letters....
71_71.gif.90e48c720ca56a2d2fa0532dd3380cc7.gif


Had a quick scan. There aren't many 'classic' HK amps about at the moment. One stood out... a PM 655...but it's in silver... A friend of mine has one of these but in black... and it'srathernice...

pix_89.52.64.1541182536194.68440100.jpg


 

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
17,311
65
0
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Commiserations on your dying HK 6550, CJ.

It's probably due to a combo of old age and having to drive a pair of Dyns
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif
btw I was tempted to check out the HK 970 when I heard you say you prefer the HK 6550 driving the Dyns than the Primare.
tongue.png
Not sure now. Maybe h/k and Dyns aren't natural partners - electrical-wise.

SS

 

Jezzer

Passionate
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
9,796
1,171
193
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Don't do it Solid! The HK 970 is a horrible amp! I have no idea how it won a Best Buy in HFC! To my ears, the sound is soft and lacking in detail.

Touch wood, I have no electrical problems with my 680 driving my Dyns...

 

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
17,311
65
0
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Jezzer wrote:

Don't do it Solid! The HK 970 is a horrible amp! I have no idea how it won a Best Buy in HFC! To my ears, the sound is soft and lacking in detail.Touch wood, I have no electrical problems with my 680 driving my Dyns...
Ok. I shall (ignore that panda avatar) and listen to you this time.
tongue.png


HFC's Best Buy handouts have been getting odder with every issue.
71_71.gif.90e48c720ca56a2d2fa0532dd3380cc7.gif
I remember the supertest last year where the B&W CM1 were pitted alongside my Dyns. Despite scoring lower for sound, the CM1 got the BB.
rolleyes.gif.fd85f9fd5d171988ef004a59c04642db.gif
Having considered the CM1s before settling on the Neutrons, and now, owning the Dyns - I can say the Dyns are a few leagues above the CM1.
wub.png
Maybe Dynaudio should start competing with B&W for that last-page ad spot.
wink.png


That said, I'm pleased my newest CDP has gotten a HFC BB gong.:lmao: And everywhere else too, it seems.
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif


SShallow

 

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
8,561
45
0
UK
Yes SSM, dont let my experience put you off one minute, I paid £110-120 IIRCfor Jerry's old amp, and it gave me the best VFM ratio I have ever had with any amplifier, it was/is an old amp and it has left the scene as serenely as it delivred huge amounts of current. I shall be using one again for as cheaply as I can source one in future. The amp has been given serious use since I bought it.

 

Dr_plinque

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 16, 2005
310
1
0
West of the Eastern
Old amps will go wrong eventually. The Citation X-I died last year But it was repairable and soon running again. I won't go into the saga of the old Auras that I had...

If it's a good amp and you're happy with it, get it repaired, brought back to spec and be prepared to live with it for another 15-20 years.

Dynaudios are a fairly non-problematic load for this amp I would think

 

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
8,561
45
0
UK
Dr_plinque wrote:

Old amps will go wrong eventually. The Citation X-I died last year But it was repairable and soon running again. I won't go into the saga of the old Auras that I had...If it's a good amp and you're happy with it, get it repaired, brought back to spec and be prepared to live with it for another 15-20 years.

Dynaudios are a fairly non-problematic load for this amp I would think
How do you go about getting an amp of this sort repaired Dr.P. ? all we have are Video or TV repair shops in our locale.

 

Dr_plinque

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 16, 2005
310
1
0
West of the Eastern
cjr wrote:

How do you go about getting an amp of this sort repaired Dr.P. ? all we have are Video or TV repair shops in our locale.
Well, I'm in Japan, and things may operate in a slightly different way here...

I'd check with HK, talk to a good vintage audio dealer (and I know of at least one of those in the UK) and check out the hifi mags for classifieds.

I'm a little surprised that no one on here has suggested a good repair place, but perhaps that reflects the ethos of this particular forum.

 

Injector

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
12,959
64
0
In a shed
Dr_plinque wrote:

cjr wrote:
How do you go about getting an amp of this sort repaired Dr.P. ? all we have are Video or TV repair shops in our locale.
Well, I'm in Japan, and things may operate in a slightly different way here...

I'd check with HK, talk to a good vintage audio dealer (and I know of at least one of those in the UK) and check out the hifi mags for classifieds.

I'm a little surprised that no one on here has suggested a good repair place, but perhaps that reflects the ethos of this particular forum.
Often it costs £30-odd just to get them to look at it. Then they nearly always need the 'schematic' and if it's a non-UK amp they'll be able to do nothing with it. Even if they can, it may end up costing you £50-70 even if it's only a small fault. I'm sure if CJR could locate a decent repair chap, one who would guarantee to fix it for £50, he would ask them to do it.

 

Forum statistics

Threads
109,191
Messages
2,314,135
Members
69,422
Latest member
Creedy