How do you listen to your music these days? And more format pesto.

Sonneteer

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 15, 2013
Guildford
Hi Haider, there are computers in the house, I just don't get time to sit down and browse, I have a look on the Wam from time to time via my mobile.Cheers BB
Hi Steve,

So if you simply had access to your music collection via your mobile to easily send to your hifi system would that suit you? Assuming the quality was to your satisfaction of course.

Haider

sonneteer.co.uk

Brown Bottle

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 27, 2005
The Hoo Peninsula
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Hi Steve,So if you simply had access to your music collection via your mobile to easily send to your hifi system would that suit you? Assuming the quality was to your satisfaction of course.

Haider

sonneteer.co.uk
TBH Haider, I'm 45 (which i think is relavent, still of the generation that originally listened to vinyl, prior to launch of CD), I don't have any interest in music via a computer, other than occasionally listening to an I-pod in the car or on holiday. To be blunt the age my kids are I wont be buying Hi-Fi again until someone important dies. I will then buy, in order a new CD Player (mine is fucked) a new Integrated Amp (because I've heard better than my own), new speakers, with Ribbon Tweeters (I love the higher frequencies and how Ribbons deliver them) that match the Amp and a new TT to go with the other kit. I will probably buy a CD player with a digital input to add a laptop later for radio. Must admit the new Rega Saturn looks very interesting in that respect.

Cheers BB

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Steve' date='

So if you simply had access to your music collection via your mobile to easily send to your hifi system would that suit you? Assuming the quality was to your satisfaction of course.

Haider

sonneteer.co.uk[/quote']

I am 42 yet my answer differs from Steve's quite a bit.

I grew up with vinyl and still use it, but streaming is 60% of my listening and storage becomes an issue.

I'd actually like some network storage with a really good built in dac. See my audio glu review. That, but with slicker gui and top quality DAC built in. With spare inputs. A digital hub with storage basically. If that hub backed itself up to the cloud and allowed me access to that back up on the move then I'd be in heaven.

Hayward

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 29, 2011
I'm 49 and have this year gone through a revolution.

Some while ago I got rid of my CD player as it sounded poor compared to my vinyl set up. However, with a lot of help on here I now have a computer with my cd's ripped onto it and the sound is superb, a lot of the time rivalling my expensive vinyl front end.

I buy more cd's to rip these day's because they are cheaper. Don't get me wrong, I'm still buying plenty of vinyl, just less likely to blow 20 odd quid on a new release that I know I will only play occasionally. I have been off work the last couple of days and have listened almost exclusively to spotify which is very enjoyable too. Just can't stop myself buying the best bits of my research! I have spotify on my phone too and listen on headphones on my commute and via a pair of active monitors at work. A year ago I would have got defensive when digital was suggested but now I find myself listening to it more and more...

Sonneteer

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 15, 2013
Guildford
TBH Haider, I'm 45 (which i think is relavent, still of the generation that originally listened to vinyl, prior to launch of CD), I don't have any interest in music via a computer, other than occasionally listening to an I-pod in the car or on holiday. To be blunt the age my kids are I wont be buying Hi-Fi again until someone important dies. I will then buy, in order a new CD Player (mine is fucked) a new Integrated Amp (because I've heard better than my own), new speakers, with Ribbon Tweeters (I love the higher frequencies and how Ribbons deliver them) that match the Amp and a new TT to go with the other kit. I will probably buy a CD player with a digital input to add a laptop later for radio. Must admit the new Rega Saturn looks very interesting in that respect.Cheers BB
Good morning from tropical Guildford Steve. Do you think pure stand alone CD players will still be available when that time comes? even if it is sooner rather than later? Many here and on other fora have observed the time may have come for the silver disc player if no the disc itself.

Haider

sonneteer.co.uk

Sonneteer

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 15, 2013
Guildford
I am 42 yet my answer differs from Steve's quite a bit.I grew up with vinyl and still use it, but streaming is 60% of my listening and storage becomes an issue.

I'd actually like some network storage with a really good built in dac. See my audio glu review. That, but with slicker gui and top quality DAC built in. With spare inputs. A digital hub with storage basically. If that hub backed itself up to the cloud and allowed me access to that back up on the move then I'd be in heaven.
Hi James,

We are of similar vintage and I can see the attraction of what you want. The only thing I would be reluctant to have is the storage and control unit in the same place. My experience with storage is that it dates rather quickly and also can fail often. I have a box full of dead hard drives to show for it.

I certainly see music playback heading in this direction in some for or another for sure. The path from the DAC input to the speaker drivers will be the critical one to develop well from an Audiophile point of view I think. This way it is more likely to fall into the laps of the more sonically indifferent and perhaps wipe their audio windscreen clean.

I also think high res in the cloud is only a matter of time as speeds and storage becomes less expensive. It will arrive by default.

Haider

sonneteer.co.uk

Brown Bottle

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 27, 2005
The Hoo Peninsula
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Good morning from tropical Guildford Steve. Do you think pure stand alone CD players will still be available when that time comes? even if it is sooner rather than later? Many here and on other fora have observed the time may have come for the silver disc player if no the disc itself.Haider

sonneteer.co.uk
Hi Haider, Guildford is a nice place to be and you've got some decent record shops. I think there will be enough demand for CD players for someone to keep making them, or to keep ageing ones going. Fora hype the latest technology but represent a small fraction of the audiophile world, nevermind the rest of the population. Certainly the younger generation have got straight into bed with the likes of Apple and one day granted CD's will be a rarity, however, I think we are some way off that yet. The likes of Rega don't bring something like the Saturn into production planning only a couple of years supply.

Cheers BB

Sonneteer

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 15, 2013
Guildford
Hi Haider, Guildford is a nice place to be and you've got some decent record shops. I think there will be enough demand for CD players for someone to keep making them, or to keep ageing ones going. Fora hype the latest technology but represent a small fraction of the audiophile world, nevermind the rest of the population. Certainly the younger generation have got straight into bed with the likes of Apple and one day granted CD's will be a rarity, however, I think we are some way off that yet. The likes of Rega don't bring something like the Saturn into production planning only a couple of years supply.Cheers BB
Thanks BB, Guildford is certainly a place where vinyl is not scarce. I wouldn't be sure of the wisdom of us manufacturers and our product timing. i wish we had such a Crystal Ball. All I know is when we used to say something will be obsolete in five years, the equivalent can be less than a year now. Trends are moving that much more quickly. Saying that, as I said somewhere else today, a lot my family Christmas presents requests have been CDs. So a lot of life in the format. It's where they are played back is the question. Some polls we have posted have been very telling. I remain very open on the subject. I am not yet sure which is the path of least resistance on this one.

Very interesting. Thank you again.

Haider

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I think some of the current Cyrus products are interesting, particularly the "stream" series. You can get a model which is a DLNA streamer with digital inputs for use with an external DAC, the same model with a DAC and analogue outputs and another with a built-in amplifier. Very flexible - you can use all your "legacy" digital sources as well as a NAS or a directly-connected HDD.

They also make the Lyric models with USB input for PC, and analogue input - but those miss out on the digital output and look like games consoles from 20 years ago. :dunno:

I currently have a lot of digital sources in the system, so this kind of product is interesting.

Sonneteer

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 15, 2013
Guildford
I think some of the current Cyrus products are interesting, particularly the "stream" series. You can get a model which is a DLNA streamer with digital inputs for use with an external DAC, the same model with a DAC and analogue outputs and another with a built-in amplifier. Very flexible - you can use all your "legacy" digital sources as well as a NAS or a directly-connected HDD. They also make the Lyric models with USB input for PC, and analogue input - but those miss out on the digital output and look like games consoles from 20 years ago. :dunno:

I currently have a lot of digital sources in the system, so this kind of product is interesting.
Historically I have a lot of time for Cyrus. I remember before designing my first ever amp (which with help from my fellow Sonneteer Remo became the Campion) I had heard another friend's Cyrus amp. It was through a pair of Kefs I believe and he'd bought it with his student grant( remember them?). Upto that point I am not sure I had heard anything that good outside of a live performance.

It is not my place to comment on the looks of the Lyric system. Hats off to them for being bold though.

Haider

sonneteer.co.uk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles