How do you people keep your kit looking so shiny and new?

horace

Not allowed near the classifieds while drunk
Wammer
Dec 4, 2006
Morpeth (Northum)
AKA
Martin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I know some people are very fussy when buying hifi - the phrase 'must be mint' shows up regularly in the classifieds.

I also know that some of you are very good at keeping your stuff looking like it just came out of the box, even after years of use.

So what's wrong with me? I'm quite a careful person, but it seems like I only have to look at something and a ding, mark or scar appears on it.

So how does that work then?

Yours confusedly

Martin

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

horace

Wammer
Dec 4, 2006
Morpeth (Northum)
AKA
Martin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I lick my entire hifi every weekend.
Note to self: do not buy any kit from petrat.

Yuk!

In any case, I don't subscribe to any process that removes the protective layer of dust - it's the hifi equivalent of keeping the plastic covers on new furniture (I know people who do that - makes yer arse sweaty, but keeps the sofa looking minty).

Frizzy brizzy

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 3, 2013
New forest
AKA
Laurie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My team of specially trained Filipino houseboys polish it while I sleep at night.

in the real world little pixies come out at every opportunity to kick punch and defile my treasures, I invariably leave some trace of ownership on everything I've bought.

I have pets, friends and am a clumsy bugger. I killed my laptop last year with a well aimed coffee, and still have nightmares about removing the stylus on my vdh grasshopper with a long sleeve jumper. Or when a very young ginger Tom decided to sharpen his claws on my just upgraded Lv obx rw , got there Just in time!

horace

Wammer
Dec 4, 2006
Morpeth (Northum)
AKA
Martin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My team of specially trained Filipino houseboys polish it while I sleep at night.in the real world little pixies come out at every opportunity to kick punch and defile my treasures, I invariably leave some trace of ownership on everything I've bought.

I have pets, friends and am a clumsy bugger. I killed my laptop last year with a well aimed coffee, and still have nightmares about removing the stylus on my vdh grasshopper with a long sleeve jumper. Or when a very young ginger Tom decided to sharpen his claws on my just upgraded Lv obx rw , got there Just in time!
Ah yes, those pixies are tricky little bastards - put dings in places you wouldn't think possible. Hifi crop circles.

One night I'm gonna stay awake and wait for the little feckers. When I catch them they'll get a proper twatting.

From this, I deduce that the secret of mint hifi is a house free of pixies.

This place is an education.

Martin

horace

Wammer
Dec 4, 2006
Morpeth (Northum)
AKA
Martin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A nice layer of dust and a ding or three just adds character to kit. :^
Exactly. And it enables you to identify the kit as 'yours' when it turns up later on eBay. A guarantee of future feelings of nostalgia. Careful owners are denying themselves that opportunity.

IanG-UK

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2009
West Yorkshire, UK
AKA
Ian
I also know that some of you are very good at keeping your stuff looking like it just came out of the box, even after years of use.So what's wrong with me? I'm quite a careful person, but it seems like I only have to look at something and a ding, mark or scar appears on it.
Not sure if still available now, but when Quad were Quad and not IAG they would do paint touch-ups/resprays at the factory, even same day service. I'd guess Michell do similar. As for Pioneer ...

Pure_Carbon

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 2, 2009
Englishman in Wales.
AKA
Lord Lucan (Oops...)
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My team of specially trained Filipino houseboys polish it while I sleep at night.
Prefer my pair of Thai house girls, Ting and Tong .

Rubbish at house work, but I'm loathe to get rid of them ;-)

....a slightly damp microfibre cloth once a week seems to work for me, with extra extra extra caution when doing the TT area underneath the Cartridge !!

Am pondering having a bespoke cover made for the Delphi.

Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Given my slight OCD tendencies where my hi-fi is concerned, I do get a bit twitchy when my items get more than a barely noticeable patina of dust.

Also with regard to...

A nice layer of dust and a ding or three just adds character to kit. :^
...on the other hand, when you take your old stuff along to an audiojumble and find that something identical but shiny and immaculate is on another stall for the same price, guess which one will sell first?!

Over years of buying and selling hi-fi equipment, I have doubled the price of many budget items just by giving them a damn good clean.

S

scruffybitch

I smear with butter, wipe around a bit with a damp cloth, then let the dog lick it clean

Given the chance, dog would eat rat too

G

It's quite simple for me, the only time I use my kit is at Scalford, the rest of the year it's boxed up and I just talk rubbish on here instead:^

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles