Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 10, 2018
North Somerset UK
AKA
Raymond
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is a tricky one as personally I think brand new components do benefit from a "running in" period and do improve with time as it beds in, I have certainly noticed this with amplifiers. That said if you have a return window this does indeed pose extra pressure. Have you tried leaving them running on low volume for a few days - 24/7 so to speak. This also gets mentioned a lot by reviewers who often claim new items are uninspiring straight out of the box but sound great a week later when they return to it. I also appreciate audio memory isn't always that accurate though.

Reactions: MVJ

newlash09

Iam deaf at the ears, but way more dumb in between
Wammer
Aug 10, 2018
India
AKA
Y.Manohar / mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If something is not noticeably better in the first 30 mins of listening, and you have to listen intently to make out subtle improvements. Then it's definitely a side ways move.

Sotosound

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 27, 2014
Buckinghamshire
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is feeling like a backward step unfortunately.
i emailed the company with my feelings a few days ago, looks like I’m going to have to follow up on that and return them. Which is a shame. But I think if I leave it any longer then that won’t be an option.
Having done a quick search, you might be hearing poor synergy, i.e. speakers and amp that both have a forward-sounding presentation giving you excessive and shouty mid-range.

Perhaps a pointer for the future...?

Reactions: MVJ

lostwin

Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Possibly also worth trying mixing and matching with you existing Arcam gear to see if either the CD player or amp are worth investing in individually.

Ears (well brain actually) adapts to a new presentation over time , so switching back to the all Arcam set up would also be a good test.

Edit - Marantz, not Arcam!

Reactions: chezi and Rayymondo

Sotosound

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 27, 2014
Buckinghamshire
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
First pick 5 or 6 of your favourite songs across the genres you like.

Second make some time say 1 to 1:1/2 hours with no distractions and play the tracks in a random order at least once but maybe twice.

If you don't get that nice feeling/buzz you normally do for at least of 75% of the time or a good few of those wow moments then maybe it's not what your looking for and the doubts you have won't go away.

Return & try something else👍
Excellent advice.

This approach makes auditioning more fun than work.

If you also find yourself also wanting to listen to other tracks just for the fun of it then you're auditioning something that really works for you.

If, instead, you just end up assessing dynamic range, bass response, levels of detail, imaging etc. then the passion is probably not there, and there's no fun.

If there's no fun, then listen to something else.

bigfish786

Wammer
Wammer
May 15, 2013
Yorkshire
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Excellent advice.

If you also find yourself also wanting to listen to other tracks just for the fun of it then you're auditioning something that really works for you.

If, instead, you just end up assessing dynamic range, bass response, levels of detail, imaging etc. then the passion is probably not there, and there's no fun.

This is probably why I’m watching telly, even though I’ve got the place to myself . 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Sotosound

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Excellent advice.

That advice could be tagged on to mine for a comprehensive list of good auditioning practice👌🏻

Reactions: Sotosound

Sotosound

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 27, 2014
Buckinghamshire
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That advice could be tagged on to mine for a comprehensive list of good auditioning practice👌🏻
I was first given similar advice to what you shared by Peter at Deco Audio five or six years ago.

It was while following this advice as I listened to some Proac SM100 speakers in Deco's listening room that I first stopped auditioning entirely and, instead, played the theme from "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" just for fun. And it was so much fun. Then a couple of other "unscheduled" tracks also got played.

In short, I went "off-piste" and loved it. Unfortunately, however, the Proacs didn't sound as good at home. So they went back, but lesson number two had been learned.

If you don't find yourself going off-piste then you might eventually end up feeling piste off.

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
and the sound is really different from the Marantz stuff I had. I just don’t seem to be getting on with it’s forward presentation. It just sounds too shouty and in your face, not very enjoyable or relaxing.
This would be enough for me to send it back, especially the last 5 words!
I have heard MF and Marantz and what you describe (IME/IMHO) is the presentational difference between the two makes.

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Find something you know is on the verge of unlistenable, tonally not musically!
Play it and see which side it falls.

audio_PHIL_e

audioPHILe
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
The wrong planet
soundcloud.com
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
several years ago I tried a variety of amplifiers with a selection of LPs that represented the kinds of music I listened to most. One amplifier made me grin, listening to one LP, so I listened to all the other LPs with that amplifier. I ended up buying that one.

Reactions: Sotosound and MVJ

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have to add that even with cartridges, speakers and valves, straight out of the box and stone cold they either sound 'promising but not perfect' or 'broken'. The former may turn into perfect or nearly so, the latter won't. You can't fix broken through burn-in.

• Upvote
Reactions: Wenge1

bigfish786

Wammer
Wammer
May 15, 2013
Yorkshire
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You said it don't sound like your Marantz gear, as if Marantz is your standard. So, get something that sounds more Marantz-ish, maybe some more Marantz. If you want it to sound like that, that's what you should be buying.
maybe Another Marantz setup would be the answer, I don’t know.
the Triangle Speakers I have will probably have to be sold on too. If I can’t find an amp that can get the best out of them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles