Wammer
Wammer
May 15, 2013
Yorkshire
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
when you buy a new CD player or Amp, how long do you give it before you decide whether you like it?
there’s always the pressure of the 14day return window, so, if you buy it new, and you are on the fence about whether to keep it or not, how long do you go before making the decision?
is 14 days long enough to run in new gear?
will it change much more after that?
im really on the fence about my latest purchase, and not sure what to do.
keep it and hope it gets better, or that I get used to it.
return it now and try something else in the hope that will work for me?

Reactions: MVJ

Sotosound

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 27, 2014
Buckinghamshire
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
when you buy a new CD player or Amp, how long do you give it before you decide whether you like it?
there’s always the pressure of the 14day return window, so, if you buy it new, and you are on the fence about whether to keep it or not, how long do you go before making the decision?
I'd rather return it and risk having regrets about returning it along with the partial emotional compensation of having gotten my money back.

(The obvious questions.) What is this piece of kit that's worrying you, and what is it that makes you unsure about it?

lostwin

Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Beyond the break in of a cartridge, valves or loudspeakers, I’m not convinced that anything other than a very subtle change will occur with other electronics.

If you are upgrading and it doesn’t give you a few wow moments within the first few listens, then best to try something else I think.

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Youre obviously already having doubts ,, it’s now in your head and a doubt is very, very , VERY difficult to get out ..
Trust me on that
Go with your ears …my uncle who was a perfectionist in all things would say
“If it ain’t right , it ain’t right

bigfish786

Wammer
Wammer
May 15, 2013
Yorkshire
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I bought Musical Fidelity M6si and M6sCD. Not had them long, and the sound is really different from the Marantz stuff I had. I just don’t seem to be getting on with it’s forward presentation. It just sounds too shouty and in your face, not very enjoyable or relaxing. Some stuff sounds good, but not all. That’s why I’m kinda probably falling down on the ”return it” side of the fence. Too much money not to be 100% happy really.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Things do burn in, but apart from carts and speakers, it's small and subtle mostly. The fundamental character of things doesn't change IME. Basically, if it sounds crap after half an hour, it'll sound crap after a month.

You may get used to something, but then you compare it with something else and realise it's still crap.

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Things can take a while to bed in so you know if it's a keeper. Whether or not that's a physical or a mental thing doesn't matter, that argument can go round in circles forever, the fact is you can change your view on a piece of kit over time for whatever reason. I'd say 14 days is enough to make a reasonable judgement if you set aside a few hours each day to listen. If you're not sure after that it's probably safer to return it unless the cost is not an issue for you (because it's cheap, or you're rich).

lazycat

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Dec 20, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When I bought my amp it was so obviously better it was silly. Same goes for my new DAC.

Should've returned the Chord DAC I tried a few years ago. But I decided to 'give it some time'. A mistake, which cost money.

If you have doubts return it. IMO.

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Beyond the break in of a cartridge, valves or loudspeakers, I’m not convinced that anything other than a very subtle change will occur with other electronics.

If you are upgrading and it doesn’t give you a few wow moments within the first few listens, then best to try something else I think.
THIS.
If its not blowing you away within the 1st hour or so and has now got you wondering whether its right for you, it will continue to have you wondering. Send it back and continue looking. I've been through this recently with my digital upgrade hunt, rejecting a £3k DAC and £4k streamer in favour of what I had, luckily I then stumbled across something that gave me what I wanted and more besides.

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
First pick 5 or 6 of your favourite songs across the genres you like.

Second make some time say 1 to 1:1/2 hours with no distractions and play the tracks in a random order at least once but maybe twice.

If you don't get that nice feeling/buzz you normally do for at least of 75% of the time or a good few of those wow moments then maybe it's not what your looking for and the doubts you have won't go away.

Return & try something else👍

tackleberry

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2010
Leeds..ish
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I hear, and have experienced it for myself with mf gear. I thought the 3.2 and the 308 integrated have this presentation, along with the m6. Have you had mf gear before?

Reactions: MVJ

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Can I add Like others have said imo other than carts speakers & valves most electronics only change (sometimes not for the better I guess) in a very subtle way No doubt others may disagree Hey ho!

Reactions: chezi and Wenge1

bigfish786

Wammer
Wammer
May 15, 2013
Yorkshire
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is feeling like a backward step unfortunately.
i emailed the company with my feelings a few days ago, looks like I’m going to have to follow up on that and return them. Which is a shame. But I think if I leave it any longer then that won’t be an option.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles