How much is too much?

MusicMan76

Just do what you know to be right!
Wammer Plus
Mar 1, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think for many, the shiny shiny new box is a big part of changing kit. Other part system imbalance. Other part your own personality traits (addictions). Other part unrealistic expectation. I did have a 'My System' folder on the pc containing pics I've taken of all my changes over the years....I had to delete it! What I have now is the best I've had it, and no plans to make any major changes....sure I'll add a 2nd REL sub, I'll up the streamer....and would love to finish it all off with a Quadraspire X Reference rack.....I might reach 70 years of age to finally be done done!

Reactions: Gizza

Idlewithnodrive

You should hear our version of Louie Louie
Wammer Plus
May 7, 2018
Virtually, everywhere
AKA
Mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've latterly made a decision to not buy any more kit, unless something breaks and can't be repaired. I am very happy with what I have and just buying the next shiny thing for the sake of it was getting a bit silly.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sensible answer. 'Too much' is when your enjoyment of listening is dented by nagging thoughts about how much it all cost. That figure will be totally different for everyone.

ROOG

Wammer
Dec 12, 2020
It is all too easy to get caught up in buying more or 'better', more expensive more like, I know that I did. I am now looking to off load some of this stuff, it won't get my money back so that I can spend it on something more worthwhile but it will off load some of the bad feeling the equipment has for me.

I know that very few will feel that they need a 'coach' to help them make their hifi buying decisions, after all you all know what you are doing don't you? but I feel that such a thing would have helped me make more sensible choices.

• Upvote
Reactions: m7rso and Jules_S

jkbmusic

Staff member
Nov 25, 2006
Brittunculi
AKA
Jeff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
It is all too easy to get caught up in buying more or 'better', more expensive more like, I know that I did. I am now looking to off load some of this stuff, it won't get my money back so that I can spend it on something more worthwhile but it will off load some of the bad feeling the equipment has for me.

I know that very few will feel that they need a 'coach' to help them make their hifi buying decisions, after all you all know what you are doing don't you? but I feel that such a thing would have helped me make more sensible choices.
If we all knew what we where doing, we wouldn’t need a Hifi Forum 😂

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is all sounding very reassuring to me! A lot of these thoughts rattle around my tiny little brain too, so it's good to know I'm not alone.... this is becoming a bit like the AA - Audiophile's Anonymous weekly therapy session

"Hello, my name is Jules and I'm an audio addict".

😆
And basically that’s the nitty gritty of it all .. We frown at alcoholics drinking all day and then pissing it up a wall without consequence.. Or drug abuse even ….
But HIFI is very addictive and I see it in so many threads on forums.. “ when will I get my next fix” comes to mind ..
And like alcohol and drugs it is often short lived and a bigger hit is required..

Reactions: ROOG and garn63

George 47

Subjectivist
Staff member
Jan 1, 2006
United Kingdom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No carer. Apologies about not finding this funny but the amount of death I've seen since Covid has very much reduced my sense of humour
Understand. My sister is a sister at Chase Farm Hospital and she has commented that humour helps when some of her nurses have seen too many people die for even an A&E department. It does not belittle her or the nurses' feelings but helps some.

Gizza

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Mar 12, 2011
Sutton Coldfield
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My stock response to these types of question is when you put your goals with hifi above the needs of others then you need a reality check .
I assume by others you mean family? Otherwise we'd have to give all our money to charities (people in need).

Reactions: DUVET

Gizza

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Mar 12, 2011
Sutton Coldfield
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For me, the question should be how much time is too much time as I seem to spend a ridiculous amount of it looking at gear (amplifiers specifically to the point I think I may have a fetish!!), justifying in my head how my life would be so much better with it, then giving myself a shake. This week for example:-

refurbed Naim XS3 due to Proac synergy
musical fidelity M5si because I am enjoying the M2si a lot just now and I want to see what improvement I can get by going up a couple of levels
Denon pma 110a because spatial online have a really good deal on them
Rockchilds Exposure 3510:- no word of a lie I was about to pm when the sold message appeared.
Willsenton R8 as it just seems such an interesting proposition and value

it’s f‘ing mental behaviour especially since there are no pennies in the hifi bank at the moment
Do you enjoy listening to your system? If not, why not? What is it about the sound that you don't like? I only ask because I have had systems in the past that I could appreciate for their technical abilities but I wasn't enjoying the music as much as I should have been able to. Identifying the things that bother you is important you, then you can try and find the way of eliminating them. When you do, you'll just sit back and enjoy the music.
I remember how much I enjoyed listening to the first system I bought. A fairly basic Pioneer PL112d turntable with a Grado F1+ mm cart, JVC integrated amplifier and Monitor Audio MA4 speakers. The only reason I looked to upgrade was that I wanted to see if could increase my musical enjoyment even more. I spent the next 40 + years upgrading my kit (and downgrading, costwise, at one point due to circumstances) but it's only recently that after coming across my latest speakers, I am once again getting maximum enjoyment from my music.
I would recommend that you try to get to hear as much kit as you can, at your budget level or even a little higher, as in my case, I ended up selling a very good set of monobloc amplifiers (which wouldnt be required in my new configuration), my Quad speakers, some electrostatic headphones and a spare passive preamp, the sale of all which funded my replacement speaker purchase.
It's like finding the right partner in life. People will have some qualities that you like and most will have some that annoy you. It's a case of identifying which of the faults you can live with. 😊

Reactions: deggie and Ceko

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not quite the same thing but related . I recently mentioned to a fellow Wammer that I was interested in a Technics SL-10 the little automatic turntable . I looked around and set up a few searches , then I really thought about it . I have a Logic DM 101 fitted with an Origin Live Regs RB300 arm that has not been out together and working for over two years . I was only keeping this so my wife could play an LP is she wanted to . Was trying to convince myself that getting the Technics would make it easier for her . But Linda has never asked me to get the TT working in two years . I find it now difficult to listen to any Vinyl for more than two minutes because of what it does to my tinnitus so why am I looking and considering buying something that will just sit on a shelf . Anyone who does know the answer can they p!ease tell me . This is my definition of too much .

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No carer. Apologies about not finding this funny but the amount of death I've seen since Covid has very much reduced my sense of humour
We owe a perpetual debt of gratitude to people who do what you do. My Father in Law’s carers were superb and did their job despite things that were happening around him. And having relatives in the undertaking business I know how much the public have been shielded from the enormity of what continues to happen.

m7rso

Hath Wammed
Wammer Plus
Aug 14, 2009
LIVERPOOL, U K.
AKA
Graham
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Different for everyone. But it can become a problem the way any addiction can and this is indeed an addiction. Everything in moderation….my arse. Keep buying, keep swapping, keep selling but keep out of debt. As long as it doesn't adversely effect you, your life or your family. Spending more does not relate to a better sound. Spending wisely however usually does….and sometimes having a little luck. Bon chance!

I.D.S.

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 14, 2021
It’s not the dearest hobby I’ve had and least I’m home most weekends.

hearhere

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I gave up the booze, the smokes and even coffee. But i can never spend enough on hifi! :D
When I left school and therefore allowed to smoke (and many of my chums were smoking), I conciously put aside the money 15 fags a day would cost into a HiFi Piggy Bank. I used this to purchase Heathkit amp, preamp, etc and to build my first speaker. When asked if I ever smoked, the answer is "I gave up when I left school". I'm sure that everything I've bought since then (including the £40K worth I'm currently enjoying) could easily have been purchased from my HiFi Fag Fund. (y)

Reactions: jkbmusic and Ergot

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles