Wammer
May 8, 2006
Devon
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi All,

And before any of you start let's assume that I've already heard answers along the lines of "from behind" and "in the nearest bin"
wink.png

I have 3 Cyrus components mounted one on top of the other (top to bottom: CD6s, PreXvs, Smart Power+). These currently sit on the floor which is thin carpet over concrete.

Question is "what's the best way to mount these"? Should I look for a rack (either from Cyrus or one of the 3rd party ones) or use titanium cones from the space shuttle, or even just squash balls?

Where is the point of diminishing returns?

Comments very welcome.

Biscuit

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Cambs, , United King
in this case the law of diminishing returns states - "don't use stillpoints"
smile.png

I think a rack would be best (looks nice, and a flat surface is all you really need to 'mount'equipment on) - somebody does nice Cyrus ones on eBay I think? A few Musical Fidelity owners might have used him?

E

Effem

jinjer wrote:

Where is the point of diminishing returns?
The moment you lift them off the carpet
rofl.gif.57a0859802223cfb25763a5f876a4be6.gif

Seriously though, hi-fi racking can be hellish expensive, especially the audiophile and Cyrus racks. I went through this loop early last year and didn't relish paying upwards of £600.

I was strolling through my local co-op department store one day and spotted some beautifulglass racks at silly money. For the equivalent audiophile rack I would have been looking at £800 for the same item. Papa Lazarou also followed my advice and bought a cracker in the sale.

jinjer

Wammer
Wammer
May 8, 2006
Devon
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Interesting idea!

So, here's another question: "Is there anything I could do for under £5 that would make a difference - or is there no point?"

G

jinjer wrote:

Interesting idea!So, here's another question: "Is there anything I could do for under £5 that would make a difference - or is there no point?"
nope, cut squash balls in half, (prolly more than a fiver though)will make kit wobble nice, wether anything will work or not? maybe, but I doubt if it does, that you would be able to hear it, Ikea corras at £20 would make it look nice, but won't make a difference to sound IMO.

One thing I would do is take it off carpet, place on a block of wood or something, but leaving on carpet, may have ventilation issues, potetial fire hazard!!!!

The Strat

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 17, 2005
Buckingham, UK
AKA
Lindsay
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would echo AKs view - if you buy something focus on the aesthetics. That said I think the Cyrus wood racks look pretty smart.

E

earl of sodbury

Here's one Cyrus you might not like to mount:

45.jpg

unless cracker crooners crank your cronge...

jinjer

Wammer
Wammer
May 8, 2006
Devon
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'd have absolutely no objection to mounting Billy's head on a pole
wink.png

darrenm

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
, , United Kingdom
Cheeky c*nts
wink.png

Simon Little furniture make the official Cyrus racks, but at a cheaper price through them directly.

They look nice and resell shouldn't be hard, so don't worry about the cost
smile.png

E

earl of sodbury

jinjer wrote:

I'd have absolutely no objection to mounting Billy's head on a pole
wink.png
Good call
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif

Bill Hicks had it right (as always)

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Those Cyrus boxes are very non-resonant and seem to work just fine using the little squidgy feet they come with.

The only thing I would suggest - apart from some sort of flat base or low stand to clear the carpet - is that you move them around so that the power amp is on the top and the CDP in the middle.

This will improve heat dissipation for the amp and improve damping for the CD player.

jinjer

Wammer
Wammer
May 8, 2006
Devon
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The only thing I would suggest - apart from some sort of flat base or low stand to clear the carpet - is that you move them around so that the power amp is on the top and the CDP in the middle. This will improve heat dissipation for the amp and improve damping for the CD player.
I'm pretty sure the manual states that the CDP should always be on the top though?

darrenm

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
, , United Kingdom
I agree with MiB - it's quite a common-sense approach...

The power amp is hottest, so goes on top to 'breath'; and the CDP could be subject to vibrations, which are reduced by sandwiching it in the middle :dude:

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
my $0.02: don'tisolate the Cyrus withVibrapodsTM. I mounted a half-width MF amp on four of them in the office and the mild heat of the chassis caused the Pods to leave an oily film on the amp's underside. They are not heat-resistant.
sad.png
Beware.
redcard.gif.e4bb2bc3520876c1792f9a324afcd589.gif

Vibrapods my ass.:Upset:

E

earl of sodbury

:goodone:had a similar experience; and anyway they're really only tangibly of benefit with some CDPs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RichShortland