bullinachinashop

Wammer
Wammer
May 11, 2022
Milton Keynes
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Evening all!

I've read some threads about how peoples' spends have split across their different components and I'd like to ask your advice on my predicament:

Listening room 12 x 14ft ish
Components needed: turntable, amp (with phono stage and headphone out), speakers and closed back headphones

Priority on low to medium volumes, listening to pretty much everything but majority is jazz, electronic, hip hop and some indie

Still learning my sound preference but I think neutral to warm might cover it, and definitely keener on faithful reproduction rather than a dominant character from the components. Hope that makes sense?

Modest budget of £1200 all in. I'll buy everything Used.

Simple question: How to split the £1200 across the four components?

Complicated question: Any recommendations for a component combo that delivers on those requirements and budget?!

Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks
Ross

Reactions: Von Krolock

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
80s/90s Japanese amp , most will have a phono stage , T/T that is being sold with a cart , then get the best speakers suitable for your room .
Amp £50-£100 , T/T £200/£300 , rest on speakers .

Andrei

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 28, 2013
Napier
AKA
Andrei
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Evening all!

I've read some threads about how peoples' spends have split across their different components and I'd like to ask your advice on my predicament:

Components needed: turntable, amp (with phono stage and headphone out), speakers and closed back headphones

Priority on low to medium volumes, listening to pretty much everything but majority is jazz, electronic, hip hop and some indie

Still learning my sound preference but I think neutral to warm might cover it, and definitely keener on faithful reproduction rather than a dominant character from the components. Hope that makes sense?

Complicated question: Any recommendations for a component combo that delivers on those requirements and budget?!

Thanks
Ross
Agree with Duvet. Speakers make the most difference. A little off topic but are you fixed on a turntable? I do run two turntables and can advise that they are expensive to do well. CD players and DACs are just so good these days. $ for $ you will get better bang for the buck from a digital source, thereby leaving more resources for speakers.

Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Arcam A39 ~ £450 on eBay. A great amp, with excellent headphone stage and phono stage, apparently (although I never used this) which you could live with for a long time and not need to upgrade.

Speakers - world is your lobster. There's some nice PMC Gold's on here for £600 at the moment. Same comment, very nice speakers and no need to upgrade for a long time.

That amp and speaker combo would work excellently together too ...

TT. I'll leave this to others.

Reactions: DomT

audio_PHIL_e

audioPHILe
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
The wrong planet
soundcloud.com
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Amplification that's "warm" enough, cheaply fixable, cheaply buyable, and produces enough power for most of the speakers you might want to put in that room: Quad 33/303 but you'd probably have to factor in separate arrangements for headphones. The latter may be a prime requirement for you, but not for me.

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Evening all!

Thanks
Ross
I read a very positive review of the Rega System One the other day, and you could buy it new with your budget. For headphones, I’ve got a pair of Grado SR80x headphones which I rate and you could plug them into the headphone socket of the io amp.

Reactions: Bazzer

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For speakers I would suggest you wrap your ears round a pair of Q Acoustics 3050 or the newer 3050i. The 3050i can be had for around £500 new (£400ish used) are reasonably efficient, and offer great performance for their price.

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Why is it people can't answer the question?
Include your headphones with the speakers and that makes it a one pipe problem:

Three ways: source/amplification/speakers, so 1/3 each.

Jack NSM

Reactions: lazycat

lazycat

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Dec 20, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Three ways: source/amplification/speakers, so 1/3 each.
I'd agree with that. Plenty of decent speakers around for £300.

I wouldnt spend £500 on 'em and just a 200 on a source. But thats the old Linnie in me.

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
While I think speakers make the biggest difference I’m pretty much a believer in the ‘rule of thirds’ for a balanced system.

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think it’s almost impossible to recommend a system with used items, because it’s so dependent on availability and prices. And then if something doesn’t work as you’d hoped, you’re in a pickle.

I‘d be happy with this little set up. All current prices at a shop near you, fully warranted. You get speaker cables thrown in. The only thing I can’t recommend is closed back phones so I’ve suggested a popular pair I’m familiar with. Those you could buy used! £1186 all in. (You’d ideally need speakers stands too)

221A07B2-2506-45F5-9704-19F77C416D7F.jpeg 1C39F541-91A4-4D38-B57B-665A512BCDB7.jpeg A05C889C-76EB-4AE3-85F6-0C703C807A42.jpeg AE282254-DD85-4098-8ECD-E38BB6FDDEED.jpeg

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you're buying used, and it's turntable, amp and speakers, I'd disagree with the 'one third' rule. The OP also says 'and headphones'.

Allowing room for future upgrades, I'd personally go £200 amp, £100 phones and split the rest between speakers and turntable.

You can buy a lot of used amps for £200 that will punch way over their weight. I honestly don't think you can say the same for speakers or turntable (including cartridge, don't forget).

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For speakers I would suggest you wrap your ears round a pair of Q Acoustics 3050 or the newer 3050i. The 3050i can be had for around £500 new (£400ish used) are reasonably efficient, and offer great performance for their price.
He's better off with these while they're in stock. I'd buy them myself if I was after a pair of new speakers in this price range. Free delivery too.

https://www.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/p-11693-q-acoustics-concept-40-floorstanding-speakers.aspx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.