How to split a £1200 budget?

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Forget my previous post about QA speakers, your current unit nes are more than good enough.
Instead go for a much better TT & amp.
This is a steal at £300, https://www.hifiwigwam.com/threads/project-2-xperience.115139/#post-2352448, and is equivalent to a Rega RP/P6. I picked up one for a friend a few years back and its a superb sounding TT.
For the cartridge look no further than this GR 2400 at £250.
https://www.hifiwigwam.com/threads/goldring-2400-mm-cartridge-2-hours-use-only.115118/, this would give you a superb front end for under £600 leaving plenty for a decent used amp such as the Sony that @tackleberry is looking to move on.

bullinachinashop

Wammer
Wammer
May 11, 2022
Milton Keynes
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Forget my previous post about QA speakers, your current unit nes are more than good enough.
Instead go for a much better TT & amp.
This is a steal at £300, https://www.hifiwigwam.com/threads/project-2-xperience.115139/#post-2352448, and is equivalent to a Rega RP/P6. I picked up one for a friend a few years back and its a superb sounding TT.
For the cartridge look no further than this GR 2400 at £250.
https://www.hifiwigwam.com/threads/goldring-2400-mm-cartridge-2-hours-use-only.115118/, this would give you a superb front end for under £600 leaving plenty for a decent used amp such as the Sony that @tackleberry is looking to move on.
Great options thanks!

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I confess that I missed that you already had a great pair of speakers. So I stick by my turntable recommendations that are similar to Lurches.

Regarding the amp this leaves you will a good chunk of money and second hand you will get something decent especially as the DT770s headphones that I recommended are about £130.

Last edited:
Reactions: bullinachinashop

CageyH

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 14, 2014
Toulouse, France
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For occasional listening, have a look at the Superlux HD-669.
They are good, and cost peanuts (about £30) which leaves you money for the amp and turntable. If you need to get a cartridge, consider the AT VM95ML as a good budget cartridge. With those two recommendations, that leaves you about £1k for an amp and t/t.

hearhere

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Rule of thirds probably OK for digital only system, but add vinyl and that alone may need your entire budget. Even a digital system should be an all-in-one (streamer, DAC, pre, power) costing 33% with the rest on your speakers. With separates, your budget will disappear with multiple enclosures, power supplies and cables and you'll end up with only enough for pretty poor speakers. Keep things simple!

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

As a general rule I'd agree that's probably OK, but like most things, there's exceptions. Start throwing a mix of new and used equipment into the mix and it doesn't necessarily stack up. You'd get a used component with superior performance, relative to the new components and that might throw out the balance. Also there are going to be some items that punch well above their weight, sound-for-pound and again, you may find the resulting system unbalanced (or at least underperforming vs potential).

Also, without wishing to stir up that hornet's nest YET AGAIN on cables, stands, power, foo etc, on a system around the £1200 price point I'd say stick with basic and cheap. No point splashing out hundreds on fancy interconnects at that level. You can always play around at a later date if and when budgets allow. There's always stuff going on the Wam at decent prices, or someone like Mark Grant if you want new and good, but not pricey I/Cs and speaker cable. Stick with the standard power cables to begin with. Don't worry about outboard PSUs. Canny purchasing of accessories takes the sting out of things and still allows the lion's share of the budget to go where it should, i.e. the main components

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
All i can say is taking the cost new (although the amps were second hand) my system is over 60% loudspeakers.
Buying second hand for a complete system then the permutations are endless. For me I would ignore the percentage split and look for the biggest sonic bargains I can find and I would probably ensure I got an amp that would drive all loudspeakers I might throw at it.

On eBay at the moment there is a Hafler DH220 amp with 110 preamp for £250 - that combo will drive anything you put on it and you would have to spend a few thousand pounds or more to better it new. With the £950 left I would get an CD transport (Cambridge or Audiolab) new for £400 a second hand DAC for about £100 and spend the remaining 450 on a pair of speakers that really float my boat .. but having said that you might find a second hand pair of say Cambridge R40s for £300 which allows you to spend a bit more on a better DAC. This type of option gives you an amp that will allow you to upgrade all the other components to your hearts content before having to consider upgrading the amp.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles