Wammer
Wammer
Sep 28, 2012
Staffordshire
AKA
Ronnie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As usual, no guarantee is given with this tosh, it's just something I dun today (less that one hour).

Procede at your own risk!!! :nuts:

First catch yer pi (rpi3B) and slap on yer actual pi-dac board (what does the sounds, man!).

Download

https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian_lite_latest

Burn the image to a  sd card

Whilst still in the computer navigate to the "boot" section of the card (on Windows, right click 'open', and add a text file called "ssh" without an extension).

Open the read me file in the "boot" and determine the overlay for your pi-dac board, copy this to the "config" file and save.

Close the files and disconnect your sd card.

Put the card into the pi, connect everything up and switch it on.

Find The IP address for the pi, DHCP setting page on the router, or 'fing'.

Use Putty to log into the pi, follow the instructions for a new password, remember the password (it's like a test for Dementia! :$ )

Run the config tool

sudo raspi-config

Expand the sd card/change the name of the pi.

Update the pi

sudo apt-get -y update && sudo apt-get -y dist-upgrade

Or update first and then run the config tool.

At the command line paste

cat /proc/asound/cards

to find out the number of the card (0) or (1). Remember the number (another test! :$ :$ ).

When everything is finished go here and follow the instructions

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/271811-moode-audio-player-raspberry-pi-756.html#post5066758

There are couple of thing to be aware of:

The latest file to download at the wget stage is here

https://github.com/herrernst/librespot/releases

When you create the service definition file you may want to change the name and card #

ExecStart=/home/pi/librespot/librespot --name MoodeLibre --cache /tmp --bitrate 320 --backend alsa --device hw:0 > /dev/null 2>&1
When you have finished restart the pi, if still root

shutdown -r now

Open a Premium Spotify account and start to play some music, at the bottom of the page click/tap on "devices available" and select the name you gave the pi.

I use an old copy of "Raspi SSH" to switch the pi off, If anyone can tell me how to port this from the Android phone it is installed on to a tablet, I would be grateful, or recommend a new, just as simple app.

I think that it would also be possible to follow Gerrelt's guide to install Squeezelite

http://www.gerrelt.nl/RaspberryPi/wordpress/tutorial-installing-squeezelite-player-on-raspbian/

and then use the pi as a LMS player and also a Spotify Connect end point (maybe add a command to Squeezelite [-C 10] I think) to allow time for Squeezelite to drop the player for Spotify to connect.

I'll try that at another time. 9_9

Ronnie

Acknowledgements:   Martin (pinkdot), Gerrelt, the guy who did the "Roon" Guide, another guy who did the "Volumio" Guide, Michael Herger ( Babelfish's Best Boy)

If I have missed anything, try and figure it out yerself before moanin o_O .

• Upvote
Reactions: Strider

Man in a van

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 28, 2012
Staffordshire
AKA
Ronnie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, a beer, a bottle of white wine later and I find out that deleting the overlay for the dac-hat makes no difference, so ignore that bollox and just determine if your card is [0] or [1] hallo usb.

Actually, include Mahler's #9

Edit: Sat 27th. I just swapped the card into a 2B+ with an Audiophonics ES 9023 dac and had to add the overlay to get the card recognised.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Upvote
Reactions: Strider

Man in a van

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 28, 2012
Staffordshire
AKA
Ronnie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, I hope none of you dozy buggers has been holding yer breath......... :ph34r:

Right, it works with usb, I tried one of these.

I then loaded up a new card for an old  IQaudio Pi-Dac+ that I have, installed the Spotify-Connect and tested that it played.

Then, off to Gerrelts web page and installed Squeezelite.

Just one extra change when in the

sudo nano /usr/local/bin/squeezelite_settings.sh

Scroll to the last line, remove the comment and add -C 10 between the apostrophies.

# If you want to use different squeezelite options, not set by this script, use the next line:
SL_ADDITIONAL_OPTIONS="-C10"

This will let either player drop when paused or stopped.

That's it. 9_9

Ronnie

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Interesting.

Someone who posted originally re Pi/still awaiting my delivery from back then ...

Since I posted originally re Spot., Spot has for us been great ...

... Have had a film of Pi since then whilst awaiting ...

Man in a van

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 28, 2012
Staffordshire
AKA
Ronnie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thank you Charlie.

Two things to note: