CnoEvil

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Why could that be?

I think I know what you mean. But then again my grandmother was born in Cork.
Dunno.

My Family Tree is full of Nuts.

It was an amp I put on ChemMan's radar some while back - as I felt it might provide what he felt was missing, yet retain what he likes about the Mac.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: newlash09

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
Rural Leics [system 1] & Kendal [systems 2 & 3]
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
ooh you must have realised it was a typo  Sugden A21 SE ..  :doh:   I thought you were the wife telling me i had odd socks on again 
Afficionados of the A21 will tell you that, despite its limitations, it's a gorgeous sounding thing; hence the usual prefix "legandary". I concur. When I heard the A21, I thought I had found my amp; when I heard the A21SE I was left unmoved. Their topologies are completley different and many Sugden fans have asked why on earth they called too different amps basically the same thing.

• Upvote
Reactions: uzzy and newlash09

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Have any of you guys listened to one of the Jeff Rowland amps?
Sadly they’ve not had much coverage in the UK in recent years, as far as I can tell. Beautiful designs though.

What I really want to hear is how @ChemMan got on last night with his amps!

ChemMan

ChemMan
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Brussels
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What I really want to hear is how @ChemMan got on last night with his amps!
Well, this thread dried up pretty quickly. 

The dealer of the VTL offered a pretty nice discount and it's too good to pass up.  I don't feel like hassling with the ML as the dealer is the least customer service oriented.  Also the ML and the Gato are going to sound close to the Hegel based on what I've already heard, and the Hegel, which I love to death, is really no match for the sound of the VTL.  

I'm putting the rest of my gear up for sale tonight, and if I can get rid of the all of it, it's possible I might just have enough for a Hegel or Gato down the road a bit. 

It's not 100% yet as it's contingent on me selling the Mac which feels slightly bittersweet now.  :x

Reactions: Nopiano and deggie

PhotoMax

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 31, 2019
Seattle
AKA
Maxwell
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Congratulations! 

I hear you on the bittersweet aspect of letting well serving gear go. I was quite sad when I unplugged my Rega RS7s...

ChemMan

ChemMan
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Brussels
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Big mistake, you will get no sound out of your VTL without any speakers!!!  :nuts:

e fashioned some new speaker out of a Keeping a source like your node 2 could be useful too.......

As they say, I'll get my coat.   :minikev:
You are right, my bad.  I've fashioned some new speakers out of coffee cans, paper towel and a magnet.  

I still would like to get rid of the old system. LS50s are in a the box and the Arcam sitting here doing not much. Got a Velodyne Sub as well.  A ready made system for someone.

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You are right, my bad.  I've fashioned some new speakers out of coffee cans, paper towel and a magnet.  

I still would like to get rid of the old system. LS50s are in a the box and the Arcam sitting here doing not much. Got a Velodyne Sub as well.  A ready made system for someone.
Congrats on settling on the VTL, sounds awesome.

If you want to reach several hundred targeted potential punters, you need to get yourself to Kegworth on 14-15 March. 10 mins from East Midlands airport (you’ll have to check the speakers and sub in but might get away with the A39 as hand luggage...).

:minikev:

Bit Perfect

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 17, 2018
East Anglia
AKA
Mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
 I've fashioned some new speakers out of coffee cans, paper towel and a magnet. 
Bayler twine dampened with your tears from watching the faithful old gear (especially the Mac) going out of the door will make good speaker cables.

• Haha
Reactions: ChemMan

ChemMan

ChemMan
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Brussels
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Congrats on settling on the VTL, sounds awesome.

If you want to reach several hundred targeted potential punters, you need to get yourself to Kegworth on 14-15 March. 10 mins from East Midlands airport (you’ll have to check the speakers and sub in but might get away with the A39 as hand luggage...).

:minikev:
Or I could just drive on over with car load of hifi gear and a big fat case of corona virus.   ¬¬    I mean Corona beer.

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Or I could just drive on over with car load of hifi gear and a big fat case of corona virus.   ¬¬    I mean Corona beer.
You could. This would be a good decision. You would definitely be travelling lighter on your return journey. 

Wait a minute. Scrap that, you may be introduced to the exotic local speciality the Pork Pie.

See you soon?

ChemMan

ChemMan
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Brussels
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You could. This would be a good decision. You would definitely be travelling lighter on your return journey. 

Wait a minute. Scrap that, you may be introduced to the exotic local speciality the Pork Pie.

See you soon?
It's not out of the realm of possibility given institutions of higher learning may close at any time this week. I reckon a few cases of folks with the virus that can't account for their whereabouts might do it.

whitehart

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 18, 2011
East Sussex
www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com
AKA
Mac
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, this thread dried up pretty quickly. 

The dealer of the VTL offered a pretty nice discount and it's too good to pass up.  I don't feel like hassling with the ML as the dealer is the least customer service oriented.  Also the ML and the Gato are going to sound close to the Hegel based on what I've already heard, and the Hegel, which I love to death, is really no match for the sound of the VTL.  

I'm putting the rest of my gear up for sale tonight, and if I can get rid of the all of it, it's possible I might just have enough for a Hegel or Gato down the road a bit. 

It's not 100% yet as it's contingent on me selling the Mac which feels slightly bittersweet now.  :x

Ah, over way too soon!

Seriously, congrats on your choice, perhaps give us a proper review when you've done some serious listening.

Mac

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It sounds like you’re well in love with the VTL!  I’m a bit puzzled why it seems to be such a low-key product, but it appears to be the only integrated they ever made, and has been around for a couple of decades.  In the UK it has a generally low profile as a brand, and the big pre-power combinations get the most coverage 

Over here your McIntosh is about £4,500 and the VTL is I believe £6,100.  That’s about 35% more, and over a grand more than the H390 which goes for £4,900.   Can you px the McIntosh, or will you advertise it?

Like Mac, I’m looking forward to your further thoughts in due course!

PhotoMax

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 31, 2019
Seattle
AKA
Maxwell
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
There are so many intriguing choices with amps, both on the radar and below the radar. Shopping choices are of course heavily impacted by one’s geographical location. 

I did some reading on the Sugden amps which sound so interesting. They are available here in the USA. I have yet to audition one. I look forward to the opportunity.

One American amp that some here prefer over the Sugden (with serious A/B ownership tests) is this fellow: the Belles Aria...

http://www.powermodules.com/products/aria-integrated.html

Reactions: whitehart

ChemMan

ChemMan
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Brussels
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Can you px the McIntosh, or will you advertise it?
No exchange I'm afraid; it's up for sale.

I’m a bit puzzled why it seems to be such a low-key product, but it appears to be the only integrated they ever made, and has been around for a couple of decades
No idea, Cno turned me on to the brand after I shared the list of brands with him from my shop.  Living in Capital cities has its advantages in that are loads of brands, but we are still at the mercy of the market.  There are lots and lots of great American amps out there that we will never lay eyes on  here.  Fortunately, it seem the Europeans and the Brits have a much wider selection of speakers from which to choose.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles