I didn't believe it but USB cables can make a difference to the sound

Mikeb

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 3, 2007
, ,
I have been using in one of my systems a Stello U3 usb to sdif converter playing into a Mytek 192 DSD dac, a Blekin Gold usb cable was used from the computer to the Stello. I recently added a AQVX power supply to the Stello so it is no longer usb powered from the computer, this improved the sound marginally. Having read recently that USB cables can make a difference I decided to get a Chord Super Silver Plus which wasn't too expensive at around £50 for a 1.5m length. I recieved it today and have been listening for around 2 hours so cable hasn't really been run in, but changes in the sound where imediately apparent. The area where the changes were most heard was in the higher frequencies particularly in the sound of cymbals which stood out quite dramatically in comparison to the Belkin cable. The bass was also improved along with some additional openess but to a lesser extent than the treble. I will keep listening and see if the sound changes with more burn in.

Sumdumgi

Interstellar Overdriver
Wammer Plus
Jul 4, 2008
Durham
AKA
Les
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Burning in of cables and different USB cables producing changes in audio quality. Haven't you ever seen cable threads on the Wam before ? Given you've posted this in the computer audio section and not 2 channel it might slip under the radar ... :nerves:

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have been using in one of my systems a Stello U3 usb to sdif converter playing into a Mytek 192 DSD dac, a Blekin Gold usb cable was used from the computer to the Stello. I recently added a AQVX power supply to the Stello so it is no longer usb powered from the computer, this improved the sound marginally. Having read recently that USB cables can make a difference I decided to get a Chord Super Silver Plus which wasn't too expensive at around £50 for a 1.5m length. I recieved it today and have been listening for around 2 hours so cable hasn't really been run in, but changes in the sound where imediately apparent. The area where the changes were most heard was in the higher frequencies particularly in the sound of cymbals which stood out quite dramatically in comparison to the Belkin cable. The bass was also improved along with some additional openess but to a lesser extent than the treble. I will keep listening and see if the sound changes with more burn in.
Interesting observations, but a shame about the shit storm that it is sure to follow on this thread now that you have made some 'digital cable subjective observations'. I've been thinking about getting a Stello U3 to replace my V-Link which is powered by an AQVOX PSU. I'm using a Cardas Clear USB cable and Black Cat Veloce with the V-Link and I am going to stick with that.

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
300px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

pmac

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 19, 2005
Burning in of cables and different USB cables producing changes in audio quality. Haven't you ever seen cable threads on the Wam before ? Given you've posted this in the computer audio section and not 2 channel it might slip under the radar ... :nerves:
I'm pretty certain that it won't :D

crimsondonkey

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2008
'How do we know he is a witch?'

'He said summat about hearing a difference between USB cables - burn him!!!'

monty_python_witch-701441.jpg

brystonian

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 23, 2012
Bedfordshire
AKA
Jim
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I bought a Furutech USB cable for £50 back when I read WTF and actually believed what they printed.

I unwrapped it from its shiny box, marveled at its nicely over braided cable and deep gold plating. On plugging it in, it immediately sounded far superior to my old one. So much so that I felt no need to A/B them.

After a day of enjoying my great new cable I decided to check it against the original 90p one that came with a printer I was using. After 4 hours of swapping them back and forth I couldn't tell them apart in the slightest. Exactly the same.

Not saying you can't hear any difference or that there isn't one. Because I don't want to argue about cables. Just that in my case, expectation bias and psychoacoustics had me thoroughly convinced for 24 hours that the pretty shiny cable was better.

• Upvote
Reactions: dangermouse

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What a lovely picture:^.if this is the sort of thing we get in cable threads than I think we should have more of them... Just leave out the cable nonsense.
It looks to me as though the bear is trying to do a blind test. And he is probably as bored with those as anyone else would be.

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
Where is Nigel when you need him? Our very own polarbear moderator ....

khapahk

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 27, 2008
Linslade, Beds
AKA
Bob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
HiFi News has a group test on USB cables in the current edition. One of them costs £6500 :shock:

Mmm.

k

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles