Linn Owners

If You Could Start Over With Your HiFi Journey?

dikki

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2019
Amsterdam
www.dikki.nl
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I should have started earlier with Linn. For years I have struggled with bad Sony equipment. Connections breaking up, flat stereo image, etc. At that age my ears were better, so I would have liked the equipment that I can afford now.

Come to think of that, stereo equipment should be in reverse: when you're young you should have the best. Then, when your hearing starts failing on you, you can downgrade.

arm

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 8, 2018
Toronto
AKA
Anthony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would have avoided theAVR reboot of my system. I suffered along with a $3200 MID Fi AVR ( NAD) for a few years until I refocused on Linn. It was a waste of several years of subpar SQ and a waste of money. I got $750 for said AVR 5 years later.

• Upvote
Reactions: ThomasOK

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I essentially did start over with my hifi system in 2018 when I bought a 530 system and Urika II. I had been using Linto, Karin Pro, 2x AV5105 with Aktiv Tukans.

As for today, I would recommend starting over for anyone with the available funds to get into a NG Klimax DSM hub. I think the NG Klimax hub is a complete game changer. It sounded better than my Klimax LP12 into an Akurate Exakt DSM. It took a Klimax LP12 into a NG Klimax hub to better the NG Klimax hub streaming.

To this I would add any integrated Exakt speaker the budget would allow. My recommendation would be the 530s based on availability and price in the used market. A spot check revealed a few available for around €6000.

I think that an Exakt system with the NG Klimax DSM hub would outperform any Linn system without a NG Klimax DSM.

If one would have to sell off more expensive speakers and get lesser speaker to make this happen, I'd recommend going for it, after an audition.

Edit: Changed the second paragraph to say what I meant.

Last edited:

Chris 1970

Love colors in music
Wammer Plus
Aug 16, 2021
France
AKA
Christophe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I essentially did start over with my hifi system in 2018 when I bought a 530 system and Urika II. I had been using Linto, Karin Pro, 2x AV5105 with Aktiv Tukans.

As for today, I would recommend starting over for anyone with the available funds to get into a NG Klimax DSM hub. I think the NG Klimax hub is a complete game changer. It sounded better than my Klimax LP12 into an Akurate Exakt DSM. It took a Klimax LP12 into a NG Klimax hub to better the Klimax LP12 without the NG Klimax hub.

To this I would add any integrated Exakt speaker the budget would allow. My recommendation would be the 530s based on availability and price in the used market. A spot check revealed a few available for around €6000.

I think that an Exakt system with the NG Klimax DSM hub would outperform any Linn system without a NG Klimax DSM.

If one would have to sell off more expensive speakers and get lesser speaker to make this happen, I'd recommend going for it, after an audition.

Hello Michael,

With little experience with speakers from Linn and other brands, that's a fact that an NG DSM hub or an NG DSM can explode the potential of any speaker and amp behind (and no need to have them new…)

The totem of Linn is there at the moment :)
Will see what's coming next…

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hello Michael,

With little experience with speakers from Linn and other brands, that's a fact that an NG DSM hub or an NG DSM can explode the potential of any speaker and amp behind (and no need to have them new…)

The totem of Linn is there at the moment :)
Will see what's coming next…
Bonjour Christophe,

Well said. I would love to hear the NG Klimax Hub with even Linn 302 speakers (on proper stands). I'd rather listen to this system than any other Linn system without it. 520s? Even better.

P.S. Thinking about this, perhaps it would take one who listens to music rather than to hifi to appreciate the difference.

garn63

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
www.avfc.co.uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I should have started earlier with Linn. For years I have struggled with bad Sony equipment. Connections breaking up, flat stereo image, etc. At that age my ears were better, so I would have liked the equipment that I can afford now.

Come to think of that, stereo equipment should be in reverse: when you're young you should have the best. Then, when your hearing starts failing on you, you can downgrade.
Hifi Top Tips.
Don't worry about your ears "rolling off".
In Winter months wear a woolly hat when listening.
Roll up the sides just above the ear, then pull down slightly until the ears stick out. Adjust to taste.
You will remember just how your system used to sound...when young ? ;)

Reactions: dikki and akamatsu

pdcman

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 3, 2020
I wish I kept my Rega Planer 3, Naim Nait and AR18LS speakers, and never bought another HiFi mag. All kit from the early 80's, when everyone seemed to own a reasonable Hifi system.

Should have bought more vinyl, and not sold any or loaned out albums that I never received back!

Happy days......

Seibassman

Wammer
Jul 29, 2021
Devon
AKA
Matthew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That's easy, I simply wish I had the finances that I have avaliable now when I was 18 years old when my Linn journey started. Of course I would also want the current equipment available 40 odd years ago!

So I don't really want much. 😁

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.