I'm about to buy the SONY

S

smu

Hi, i'm seriously thinking about buying the above mentioned lcd disply but here's whats holding me back. I will not be investing in a sky HD box or subscription for the foreseeable future because i don't watch that much tv and i am strongly of the opinion that sky and their leader are all a bunch of extorionate WANKERS! I love watching a good movie ie, The Lord of The Rings and music dvd like the Eagle farewell tour 1 in5.1DTS (its Amazing). I do watch the news,match of the day and a good docu like blue planet and the like,so i'm worried that the picture from my basic sky digi box (freeveiw channels only) will be shite in terms of sharpness and that a better tv will come along in 6 months time. Should i sit tight till xmas or are these tv as good as they're guna get for basic freeveiw tv?

My Cinema system is, sony NS900V QS sacd/DVD,Pioneer amp can't rem modil but it was £900 and won loads of stars! B&W 704's at the front and centre with chord epic super twin. And two kef sats for the rear channels.My tv is sony 32" trinitron which is very good but to small!

regards, smu.

audioboy

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 25, 2006
Guidlford, , United
Got the smaller 40 inch version of that telly. Amazing picture with whatever is fed to it. I didnt see any better televisions (except the pioneer plasm which is also very good). The Sony also looks very good, which is a plus point i guess.

S

smu

Thanks audioboy, i think i just need reassurance because of the cost involved and the way av technology changes every 5 minute ! !

audioboy

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 25, 2006
Guidlford, , United
Yea i understand, i always find it hard making decisions on these kinds of things. Problem is, if you keep thinking about what is going to be released next week, you end up not buying anything.

I say buy the best product for you when you want it and then be happy with your purchase and forget about even looing ator reading about the next, newer model to be brought out a couple of months down the line.

jon

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
, ,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you're not going to pay for sky HD - I agree with not giving that tosser RM any money, ever
smile.png
- try to watch the screen with a 'normal' freeview feed before buying. Some people find that large screens don't look sharp enough without an HD, or at least a DVD, feed.

I really like the Sony LCDs I've seen, but would personally prefer a triniton CRT for normal freeview over one of their large LCD screens. Lots of people are very happy with freeview on large screens, though.

Leonard Smalls

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Shropshire Borders,
jon wrote:

Some people find that large screens don't look sharp enough without an HD, or at least a DVD, feed.
I project Freeview onto a 72" screen, and apart from minor pixellation and the usual Freeview glitches it's perfectly acceptable!

Better with DVD though.

jon

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
, ,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
clearly, though, your equipment isn't sufficiently revealing. And you need to get your eyes tested, and upgrade your mains supply :sw:

Seriously, though, I know some people are very happy to watch freeview on large screens; some don't like the look of it, though. I'd make sure to get a demo, before blowing a load of money on a large LCD - it'd be gutting to buy one then find you don't like it...

harv

Hard working slacker
Wammer Plus
Jan 5, 2006
deepest S.London, ,
AKA
erm... guess
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
jon wrote:

If you're not going to pay for sky HD - I agree with not giving that tosser RM any money, ever
smile.png
- try to watch the screen with a 'normal' freeview feed before buying. Some people find that large screens don't look sharp enough without an HD, or at least a DVD, feed.
I've been pretty impressed with the quality of SD with my 42" Sharp Aquos. The sony's do look pretty nice too:)

S

smu

Thanks for all the replys guys. I think i'm guna go for it. I'm guna invest in a new upscaling dvd player of around £600, me thinks denon or the new marantz. hehehe!

S

smu

Thanks for all the replys guys. I think i'm guna go for it. I'm guna invest in a new upscaling dvd player of around £600, me thinks denon or the new marantz. hehehe!

jon

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
, ,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Great - hope you enjoy it. If you're buying a DVD player, are you going to get one which can play HD disks too?

Oh yeah, and if you're getting rid of your Sony CRT, drop me a PM - I do like the old triniton screens, and my TV's started playing up
biggrin.png

S

smu

yeah getn rid of my excellent crt but sorry jon. . . .i live in NORTHERN IRELAND !

S

smu

Nick wrote:

at £600 for a dvd player you really should be looking at the Toshiba HD-XE1 HD-DVD player as well.
I don't want to invest in that new tech until the format war has been settled, i'n my opinion it will be blue ray or some kind of universal player comprimise between the two.

S

smu

Nick wrote:

The Sony is a great screen, I would look at it side by side with the Sharp though - the LC46XD1 is the Full HD model.
The sony i'm looking at is fuul 1080 spec.

jon

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
, ,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
smu wrote:

yeah getn rid of my excellent crt but sorry jon. . . .i live in NORTHERN IRELAND !
Ah, nevermind - sure it'll make someone happy
biggrin.png

G

darrenm wrote:

I haven't seen the Sony...but in my experience (I see many screens at work), Plasma is more forgiving to a poor source.
yep thats why i've ordered the pioneer plasma;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online