KJF Audio Ltd
HiFi Trade
Jan 21, 2014
Warwick (ish)
AKA
Stefan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Huge thanks to everyone involved and to all the exhibitors. This was the first time I've visited but not exhibited. I was initially disappointed not to have been exhibiting since I joined the trade officially. As the show got closer though I got more excited about the talking, the listening and the drinking but mostly getting to spend time in each room. I managed all three of those things in spades, especially the drinking part.....

When I first visited the show as an exhibitor four years ago it was a very different show. Horns abounded and no one had ever heard of linear phase crossovers/speakers. Fast forward and there are so many rooms running almost completely DIY and DSP is evident in so many rooms. I got into this business because I love mucking about with speakers and it's so nice to see this side of the hobby growing as the availability of the tools starts to gain traction.

Most years there have been rooms I came away from absolutely astounded, often with my prejudice altered. Inevitably there was kit I really didn't gel with either. This year I went into almost all of the rooms and managed to sit and listen to at least 2 choons in all of them. I really didn't hear anything I didn't like TBH.

Kudos has got to go to a few rooms though and not always because of the sound.

Sera in the Gun room. Visited on Saturday night, it was bloody loud, rock concert loud! I walked past at least 20 times today and it never wavered from 11. Sera never buy any bigger speakers, you'll be deaf pretty quick. 

Andy 360 in 202. I room sat for Andy and he's room sat for me in the past, the speakers he had were one's I made for him, but I mention the room not for the sound it made (although it did sound good) but for the minimalist approach he had. The little PiDAC plus and the hypex amps are diminutive and cost next to nothing. It certainly goes to show just what is possible when you are tight as Andy is!!

RV295 in the Windsor. I've been dying to see these since the concept was posted about in his long thread. Ross, they did the hard work and knowledge gathering you undertook to build these a huge justice. They were absolutely epic, really well done. I'll be sure to find a way to get another listen to these sometime.

Looper 232. I thought Edd, Ross and I were pretty extreme in our approach to measuring, creating filters and using PC's to host them but you wrote your own audio engine to host your filters and act as a virtual driver. Max kudos. I really want to have a mess about with your software, pretty please!!

A huge kudos to Linn for having the balls to tackle us lot and try and bring something to the table I thought the big boys would never do, especially not in what looks to be an open access manner. A few of us have been banging this drum for a while now and what Linn is trying to accomplish will hopefully make this level of loudspeaker engineering available in a more user friendly way, not only to their customer base but the wider community. We should support this, I'd not have thought there are many engineering depts, that get to interface like this with the community without their marketing dept. sticking their oar in.

As some of you know I am the Mark Audio wide band driver distributor in the UK/EU and supply the end user with these drivers and make kits and finished speakers for them as well. This year it was nice to be able to welcome Peal Audio to the show with their Sibelius speaker. Using a Markaudio driver, I think they are testament to how far a smallish full range driver can go when a cabinet is designed and built by someone as competent as their designer Harley Lovegrove. Mark the dealer is a proper enthusiast not just a box flogger and I thought a welcome addition to the show.

The drivers were also on show in room 229 ( I think that's right, there seems to be a few rooms which didn't appear on the program) The Alpair 12 paper driver was in the gorgeous open baffle speakers Mark had on display. I Know Mark is hoping to develop the speaker into a commercial product and it sounded like he was onto a winner. I thought it was one of the most nuanced sounds at the show. Really well done mate, it was nice to see these finally in the flesh after so many conversations about them.

I thought while I was feeling all warm and fuzzy I'd create a post show sale for the Markaudio drivers, so if any of you have been inspired to have a go your self after seeing all the DIY goodness over the weekend you can use the code 'scalford2017' over at www.kjfaudio.comhttp://www.kjfaudio.com until midnight next Sunday to get you started.

I thought the show went brilliantly and I look forward to it carrying on next year and well into the future. The hobby seems to be actually going from strength to strength rather than shrinking now, so I'm sure that we'll all be there for years to come.

See you all next year

Stefan

Last edited by a moderator:

flak monkey

Weirdo Mosher Freak
Wammer Plus
Dec 24, 2010
Norfolk, UK
AKA
Sera
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Sera in the Gun room. Visited on Saturday night, it was bloody loud, rock concert loud! I walked past at least 20 times today and it never wavered from 11. Sera never buy any bigger speakers, you'll be deaf pretty quick.
Was nice to meet you.

It's not always that loud, honest....! And I'm sure it was only at about 9 ;)

• Upvote
Reactions: orangeart

orangeart

KJF Audio Ltd
HiFi Trade
Jan 21, 2014
Warwick (ish)
AKA
Stefan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I used to have a pair of those AE2s years and years ago when i lived in a squat. Hammered them every day with techno and scratch mixing 😇

• Upvote
Reactions: flak monkey

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbnmghader