Linn Owners

I'm thinking of moving to all streaming

jethanger

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 30, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm seriously thinking of getting rid of my LP12/ Ittok and my pair of Majik 4100 along with my modest vinyl collection. I would hope to raise £5,000+. I would keep my ADSM/3k and Exaktbox 10k, and my MISOs. All suggestions welcome.

Thanks

John

quinn_t

Wammer
Wammer
May 21, 2022
San Francisco
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm seriously thinking of getting rid of my LP12/ Ittok and my pair of Majik 4100 along with my modest vinyl collection. I would hope to raise £5,000+. I would keep my ADSM/3k and Exaktbox 10k, and my MISOs. All suggestions welcome.

Thanks

John
I own the Linn Klimax DSM/3, but if I were to do it again, I would seriously consider the Lejonklou Kalla.

audio_PHIL_e

audioPHILe
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
The wrong planet
soundcloud.com
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you want to use mainly streaming, that's OK, but I would suggest having a backup means of listening: keep copies of your favourite music for use when streaming fails you (so long as keeping the backup mechanism doesn't cost you a lot when you're not using it).

Reactions: Craig_

jethanger

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 30, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My advice would be to use only streaming for an extended period of time (6 months+) and see how you get on before selling anything.
That’s good advice, but I seem to use streaming almost exclusively when factoring in radio stations as well. I was wondering how best to upgrade the experience, possibly replacing the 4100s with a pair of pre owned 4200s

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I like the words "source first", but it does not have to be the Klimax DSM, there are some other options.
The OP already has an Akurate DSM and uses Exakt with an Exaktbox and MISOs. What other options are you thinking of, if not a Klimax DSM as a source first upgrade?

’troll

Reactions: akamatsu

quinn_t

Wammer
Wammer
May 21, 2022
San Francisco
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The OP already has an Akurate DSM and uses Exakt with an Exaktbox and MISOs. What other options are you thinking of, if not a Klimax DSM as a source first upgrade?

’troll
Yes, that is probably a good option if the OP wants to build his upgrade path based on what he already has.
Or he can re-start from scratch, there are a number of good alternative systems based around streaming.
I re-started everything from a completely Naim-based system, but right now the only Naim thing I currently have is the Naim Fraim rack.

Last edited:
  • Confused
Reactions: Moomintroll

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, that is probably a good option if the OP wants to build his upgrade path based on what he already has.
Or he can re-start from scratch, there are a number of good alternative systems based around streaming.
I re-started everything from a complete Naim-based system, but right now the only Naim thing I currently have is the Naim Fraim rack.
Or, there's the Selekt Edition hub. But I would think it would be better to stretch the budget to the NG Klimax DSM Hub. The OP mentioned the used market, which would be the old Klimax System Hub (or Klimax Exakt DSM). The Latter would be the least costly option. But I really think the NG KDSM Hub is worth going for.

jethanger

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 30, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I re-started everything from a completely Naim-based system, but right now the only Naim thing I currently have is the Naim Fraim rack.
Given that I have Katalyst in the Exaktbox I would trade my adsm/3 and lp12 for which KDSM ? Everyone is giving me great advice, thanks

uk030

DSM guy
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Berlin, Germany
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My advice would be to use only streaming for an extended period of time (6 months+) and see how you get on before selling anything.
And always remember that Streaming services may revoke access to any music at any time. Happened to me with e.g. the lovely Placebo MTV album. Was on Qobuz, nowadays you need to purchase it in order to be able to listen to it.
Physical media - they suck and they rock. At the same time.

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
And always remember that Streaming services may revoke access to any music at any time. Happened to me with e.g. the lovely Placebo MTV album. Was on Qobuz, nowadays you need to purchase it in order to be able to listen to it.
Physical media - they suck and they rock. At the same time.
I used to be really concerned about this aspect of streaming. Now, I just find something else to listen to. I did actually buy a download a couple of weeks back, but only because it’s unlikely to make it to Qobuz.
‘troll

jethanger

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 30, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I used to be really concerned about this aspect of streaming. Now, I just find something else to listen to. I did actually buy a download a couple of weeks back, but only because it’s unlikely to make it to Qobuz.
‘troll
I use Spotify and other internet radio stations, but I quite happily buy quality downloads , especially from Bandcamp which seems to do more than many to support the artists.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles