Impulse H2 in a small to med narrow room ?

malcesine

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 13, 2010
Central Scotland
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sorely tempted by Killie99's H2's in the classifieds and not too far from Ayrshire but think I know already (?) they would be too big for my wee room.

Any thoughts on how they might behave in a 2.8m x 5.5m long thin room that is very bass sensitive ?

Speakers at narrow end and can be placed anywhere I like.

I have used a sub in nearly all my setups to date as I can place it near the middle of the room to negate large peaks/troughs.

For a reference point my Proac 2.5's had just a little too much low end and MA RX8's waaaaay too much bass

Any thoughts welcome.

C

cartman

My friend had a pair in a small room, although it was slightly wider and quite a bit shorter than yours. His room isn't unduly sensitive to bass, but he was overpowered by them. They have a huge sound, the biggest I've ever heard and they sound magnificent. I kinda agreed with him that they were just too much in his room, but I'd have kept them a lot longer than he did. Heck, they sounded so good, I'd have contemplated an extension!

Pussycat

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
Norwich
AKA
Mike
Bit surprised you had that result with the R2.5s, as none of the original Response range had either overblown or particularly deep bass. I only had the 3s, 3.5s and 4s, but listened to 2.5s at Billie Vee's in London and elsewhere. I suppose thay were on decent spikes and preferably on a solid floor.

I used my 3.5s and 4s in a 9' wide living room with no prob's, as I could place them 2/3 down the room. I'm not sure what the Impulse horn-loaded speakers prefer as regards side walls, although they should be happy fairly close to a rear wall, albeit in a bit. The width of your room is likely to restrict dispersion (imaging, soundstage) but to my recollection, those Impulses were not really about that aspect of presentation. I remember seeing/hearing them a number of times at Heathrow, and HiFi Answers' (I think) Jimmy Hughes was potty about the H2s, and even swore they sounded better arse about face; just one of his strange exhortations !

If I were close enough, and hadn't changed from moving coil speakers, I'd be very tempted to give these a go. Certainly very little depreciation factor there !

RobHolt

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 28, 2006
East London
AKA
Rob
I ran H2s for about 8 years in my small 14x11 room and they worked better than many small-dedium ported stand mounts, which all tend to set the room droning.

They go very low but are also very clean, controlled and use the room boundaries to good effect.

Everyone should experience H2s!

So I say go get them :)

One of the best loudspeakers you can get IMO.

gjm

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 6, 2007
NZ & loving it!
AKA
Graham
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Go for it. I would, if I was in the UK.

H2s do have a huge sound, but you can really benefit from this in a smaller room. I'll not suggest they will be entirely without problems, or an immediate perfect fit, but they are such good speakers and the judicious use of some room treatment will definitely resolve this.

So, there may be some work required to get the best results, but make that effort and you will be very happy.

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
H2 are great speakers - and their bass is very sensitive to room loading, ime - pull them away from nearby walls and the bass can plummet - so I'd expect you to be able to match them well to your room given the positioning freedom you have, although the side walls may prove more problematical.

Are you an audiophile purist, Alan? If not, then something like a Behringer DEQ2496 equaliser used in pure digital mode where it is surprisingly transparent (I note you don't have any analog listed in your system, Alan) would almost certainly sort any remaining issues.

Yep, go for it! :^ :)

malcesine

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 13, 2010
Central Scotland
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
thanks for the feedback guys...

Not averse to DRC (had a Tact at one time) but room acoustic panels etc would be a much bigger deal for me.

I have a rubbish room, perfectly rectangular, suspended but very robust floor and hard surfaces everywhere - (im)perfect for room modes etc

Being able to put in/near the corner is a plus

If I had to use a sub would I be taking away the a big part of the reason to buy H2's in the first place ?

Pussycat

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
Norwich
AKA
Mike
thanks for the feedback guys...If I had to use a sub would I be taking away the a big part of the reason to buy H2's in the first place ?
I'd say that the H2s and use of a sub are counter intuitive. With the relatively prodigious bass of the H2, why would you need a sub?

malcesine

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 13, 2010
Central Scotland
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'd say that the H2s and use of a sub are counter intuitive. With the relatively prodigious bass of the H2, why would you need a sub?
Only as a last resort to work around room modal issues and avoid bass boom

Who Cares?

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 22, 2012
thanks for the feedback guys...Not averse to DRC (had a Tact at one time) but room acoustic panels etc would be a much bigger deal for me.

I have a rubbish room, perfectly rectangular, suspended but very robust floor and hard surfaces everywhere - (im)perfect for room modes etc

Being able to put in/near the corner is a plus

If I had to use a sub would I be taking away the a big part of the reason to buy H2's in the first place ?
Suspended floor and hard surfaces are easily resolved, as you should be well aware.

Who Cares?

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 22, 2012
How do you resolve suspended floor issues?
I use concrete paving slabs, 450mm2 x 40mm thick, 1 under each speaker and covered with the same carpet as on the floor and 2 under the rack, those covered with a multi coloured cloth provided by the wife.

The joists under this floor are 150mm deep, those with less deep joists could use larger and thicker slabs.

This is a lounge which is in an unusual form of house, in that the lounge is, in effect, on the first floor, with garages underneath.

Those with a suspended floor at ground level could do what I have previously suggested and that is to, put simply, cut a hole in the floor and build a plinth on the oversite concrete or earth.

Pussycat

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
Norwich
AKA
Mike
Those with a suspended floor at ground level could do what I have previously suggested and that is to, put simply, cut a hole in the floor and build a plinth on the oversite concrete or earth.
Simples !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles