In a bit of a spin with Ortofon moving coils......

fletchdirect

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 11, 2012
UK
AKA
Captain Japanese
Hi All,

Can anyone tell me what's really the best choice of the following, in terms of which is the best (to be used either with SP10+SMEV or TTS8000+OL Silver). I've been on WilliamThakker website and they have loads of Ortofon cartridges at good prices -

There's the Rondo Bronze, Rohmann, MC30 Supreme, Jubilee, Kontrapunkt B and MC70 Anniversary and MC5000 - all within my budget of about 700-1500 Euros. I'm not sure what would be the best sounding?

In your view, what's the best sound per se of this group, and what's the best sound per pound?

Cheers

Julian

vacdac

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2011
Manchester
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The first five are all pretty damn good, can't say really for the latter two as I have no real familiarity with these. Of the first 5 I'd have the Kontra B & Rohmann, Jubilee in ascending order as the pick of the bunch, although I reckon the Rondo Bronze/Kontra B would be pretty damn close & this would likely be a users preference as to which was nicest sounding.

pure sound

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 10, 2011
West Devon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Cadenza Black out of reach? I borrowed one for a while. A nice cartridge.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'd look at changing the Dino, or at least using a separate step-up.

Sorry, but top-flight MC carts deserve a separate SUT at the very least, or you will never realize anywhere near the performance they are capable of.

take5

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 17, 2008
lancs
AKA
brian
Ive no experience of any of the cartridges that you list, but I do have a Cadenza black, which Guy mentions.

It sounds really nice to me, and others who have heard it have also liked it.

Check it out.

Ps ( If you can wait until next years Scalford, you can come and listen to mine)

SCIDB

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 1, 2005
, ,
Hi,

I have heard all those cartridges at some stage. I have owned 3 of them, the MC30 Supreme, the Rohmann and the Jubilee. My favourite is the Jubilee. Going from one to another was a noticeable step up in performance. The Jubilee would be my choice. It works well in the SME V arm.

Another thing to note is that only the Rondo bronze is part of the current range. The others will be old stock.

The Jubilee is an excellent cartridge that got discontinued a few years ago. The current Cadenza Black looks similar and has the same spec, on paper, as the Jubilee.

SCIDB

huwge

Wammer
Wammer
May 11, 2007
Cymru
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Jubilee excellent, replaced a Rohman on my V and was a step up

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've had the Rondo Bronze, Rohmann & MC30 Supreme of those you listed. All fine carts in the somewhat upfront and powerful Orty way - but I keep coming back to (and am staying with, I think) an MC25FL - there's something "right" about the cart for me. Most of the Orty good bits, but less forceful, more musically flowing.

But, yep, get your Dino+ upped to a NCPSU - massive improvement.

Even better, a Minimax phono stage. Superb. :^

The Dino+ isn't anywhere near good enough for the fine carts you are considering.

Von Krolock

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 30, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Cadenza Blue replaced the Kontra B about 5 or so years ago & is excellent.

Quintessential Audio

Trade Wammer
HiFi Trade
Jul 13, 2012
Cardiff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I've heard the Rondo Bronze (and Blue) many times and personally think the Kontrapunkt b is a noticable improvement over both (hence why i bought one!). Would love to hear the Cadenza Black as it is supposed to be really rather special and another step up again!

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As above, if I had to pick from that lot, I'd buy the Jubilee (I've not yet heard a cadenza black) but that Dino+ would hold you back. It is a good phono stage and very good VFM, but a proper step up transformer if you choose a low output cartridge will be miles better, or a whole dedicated valve based phono stage (like the EE Minimax erry mentions) will allow you to really hear what a £1000 cartridge will do.

PS. Ortofon's newer range are better IMO, and Benz/Transfiguration/Shelter and Lyra all better VFM than those. Well, I prefer the sound balance.

take5

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 17, 2008
lancs
AKA
brian
As above, if I had to pick from that lot, I'd buy the Jubilee (I've not yet heard a cadenza black)
John, you heard my Cadenza Black this year at Scalford. I remember because you liked the Snells.

Maybe it was the cartridge that you liked. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles