Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 23, 2013
Liverpool
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Recently upgraded my speakers to PM1's and now I am not sure which way to go next.

I know I am not really happy with my amp Arcam A28 during my speaker audition the A19 was used and the speakers sounded great.

Don't get me wrong they do sing but I have to crank up the amp and my wife is always telling me to turn it down lol

I have just discovered FLAC and am currently playing the files from an external hard drive connected via USB through my oppo with the right recordings these sound amazing

So question 1 would a dedicated music streamer improve the sound

I also have a Project Debut Carbon which I think punches well above it weight Vinyl is my first choice of listening medium

So question 2 should I try a dedicated phono stage or upgrade my amp I am leaning towards the amp

I should imagine some people will think upgrade the turntable but on my speaker audition I also had a listen to a£2200 rega turntable running through Naim amps and the jump in quality was not as huge as the speaker jumps as the price increased.This could have been due to the fact that Naim amps apparently don't gel so well with B&W

thanks for looking

Simon

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Lots of points!

Firstly I doubt a music streamer will do anything to improve the sound, it might be more convenient but once you have lossless digital you have lossless digital, trhen it is up to the DAC and I don't believe there is much difference between the DACs in certain price ranges, if you are getting good results with what you have then look elsewhere for upgrades.

The amp/speaker combination is important but your A28 should have no problem driving the PM1.

If vinyl is your preferred source then you don't mention the most important bit, what cartridge are you using?

The biggest bang for buck in upgrades are always the transducers, which means cartridges and speakers, you have upgraded the speakers, look at the cartridge.

luckysim0n

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 23, 2013
Liverpool
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Its just the basic orfton red 2m been thinking about the blue or a high output MC

oldius

Staff member
Dec 30, 2008
Liverpool
AKA
Geoff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
This is a difficult one. As I understand it you have a pair of 2k speakers; a £600 amp and a budget deck.

The first thing I would do is consider how much time I spend listening to vinyl against digital. If it's relatively equal then I would be looking at changing your amp. If it is massively in favour of vinyl then a deck upgrade would be next for me.

Decide on your budget and organise a bake off for the kit you decide to upgrade. Listening at home is key.

myrman

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 26, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Its just the basic orfton red 2m been thinking about the blue or a high output MC
The 2M Blue is substantially better than the Red. If I were you that's the very first thing I would upgrade.

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Don't get me wrong they do sing but I have to crank up the amp and my wife is always telling me to turn it down lol

Simon
I don't know these speakers, but could they be one of those that NEED to be played loud to sing?

luckysim0n

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 23, 2013
Liverpool
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
At the moment it's quite equal between digital and vinyl I have got it in my head that I don't like the amp which is approx 1000 new if I remember

I also am working on a Thorens TD160 which is slow going but will be eventually my main deck

Think I might keep my eyes open for a different cart because at least I can trf that across

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

oldius

Staff member
Dec 30, 2008
Liverpool
AKA
Geoff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Do you "enjoy" the sound you're getting from one source more than the other?

luckysim0n

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 23, 2013
Liverpool
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Do you "enjoy" the sound you're getting from one source more than the other?
That depends on the recording if I am honest there are a couple of albums that I don't think could be beaten,also couple of sacd Black Sabbath for example that I cant imagine being beaten

I enjoy touching and looking at the vinyl and I think that would be my prefered route

silencio

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 12, 2010
Sofia, Bulgaria
AKA
Chris
Borrow a few other amps to try in your system first and see if one of them gives you the "right" sound. Either through dealers, or hols a an "amp bake off". Then the rest, but my advice would be not to buy, until you figure out which component would give you the right sound.

unclepuncle

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 11, 2007
Northants
He has joined the Wam, of course he will change everything, but you don't normally tell newbies that straight away! :)
I like to see it as a form of 'speed-dating' for the Wam. Lets be honest it's the only form of dating there is likely to be on here as well. :roll:

luckysim0n

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 23, 2013
Liverpool
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
ok guys thanks for the advice will have to hold out for a bake off local dealer wants cash up front before allowing home demo

I know an audition in shop gives you an idea but not many people have a perfect square room at home

Toe rag

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 17, 2009
Paignton, , United K
AKA
Chris
He has joined the Wam, of course he will change everything, but you don't normally tell newbies that straight away! :)
Heehee the Wam is so naughty. Just plunge in buy try sell in the classified be quick Crimbo is coming and I would like.......

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I sort of guessed that
Does that mean that you have made your mind up that the problem area is the amp?

- - - Updated - - -

ok guys thanks for the advice will have to hold out for a bake off local dealer wants cash up front before allowing home demo I know an audition in shop gives you an idea but not many people have a perfect square room at home
A perfect square room is the last thing you want.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Before you spend barrow-loads of cash changing things to no overall benefit, get your arse to a few bakeoffs and try to get some idea of the path you want to go down.

Seriously, we could all advise loads of ways for you to spend fortunes, but they really do depend on the sort of presentation that you like.

We've all been here.

Relax and take some listening time. Work out where you are going, before you start spending.

I'm not alone in saying that if I'd done that first, I'd have saved a bloody fortune.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles