In the Sunday Telegraph (better than Guardian)

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
Some £28,000 amplifiers hit the right notes for the best-selling author John McLaren

When it comes to sound equipment, many people are rather irrational. They will spend £70,000 to £80,000 on a sports car or £10,000 to £15,000 on an elaborate holiday, but suggest that they spend £5,000 on a hi-fi and they think you are mad. But anyone who is serious about music, listens more than an hour a day, and uses their equipment regularly over the years, will get far more from it than a holiday that's come and gone.

svturnon199.jpg

I chose Audio Note because I think they're wonderful. I was one of [Audio Note founder] Peter Qvortrup 's first customers in the mid-1980s. It's not just that when you listen you enjoy it more - you can hear more detail, more tonal accuracy and so on - but that you listen much more often than you would do otherwise.

I judge my hi-fi empirically. I don't care what laboratory measurements say. The difference between a good valve-based system such as an Audio Note and one that uses transistors is that the first sounds far more like real musicians playing real music with acoustic instruments in a real space. By contrast, solid-state systems always sound a bit synthetic. I listen to classical music about 80 per cent of the time, but I do listen to some pop and jazz.

I've come across people who sold or made hi-fis who have boasted about their wonderfully tonally accurate products, but the result has sounded nothing like a violin or a cello. It's just been a big, loud noise. And the only thing I can deduce from that is that they've never been to a concert in their lives. But Peter Qvortrup is seriously musically knowledgable and there is a tonal consistency to all Audio Note products.

[*]John McLaren founded the Masterprize music competition. Audio Note's Kegon amplifiers cost £28,000 a pair; http://www.audionote.co.uk
t.gif

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/mai...p;menuItemId=-1&view=SUMMARY&grid=P28

imp.gif

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2006/01/22/svturnon22.xml

A

adam

If something is someones hobby,I don't think they need to justify to anyone how much they spend on it,as long as they can afford it.

Holidays,and exoctic places may indeed come and go,but the memories don't,they can be priceless.Cars,couldn't careless for.

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
adam wrote:

If something is someones hobby,I don't think they need to justify to anyone how much they spend on it,as long as they can afford it
Plenty of posters here have to "justify" to other half swmbo
rofl.gif.57a0859802223cfb25763a5f876a4be6.gif

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've heard them. I want them. I'm poor.

He's one lucky, lucky bas...d.

Imagine them with a Rock reference and the silver wired Art's.

(am just off to .....)

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
supercapman wrote:

If that isn't willy waving I don't know what is.:flasher:
Quite so. He would have been beter off just whopping it on the desk and saying "look at it". JUST FUCKING LOOK AT IT!

P

purplepleaser

hifiwigwam wrote:

supercapman wrote:
If that isn't willy waving I don't know what is.:flasher:
Quite so. He would have been beter off just whopping it on the desk and saying "look at it". JUST FUCKING LOOK AT IT!
I hope its a cold day and he misses the desk

Lee:D

Polarbear

Old bear
Wammer Plus
Jul 24, 2005
AKA
PB
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was thinking £28k for an amp thats outrageous but then thought 552 and two 500's :lmao:

P

purplepleaser

I want a proper system instead of a lifestyle system

Lee:)

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
purplepleaser wrote:

I want a proper system instead of a lifestyle systemLee:)
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif

borrox is that a lifestyle system. It sounded seriously good, and I think in a bigger room all you would need would be some bigger speakers.

G

Willy waving or not there is something he said that we should all take note of

"I judge my hi-fi empirically. I don't care what laboratory measurements say"

Amen brother.

Now where 's Stebbo:p

garyi

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2005
, ,
Its totally astounding how a thread started about a guy from the telegraph talking about audio note, lands up with a slagging of naim, you guys are muppets. As for the original thread, it sounds like an advert. Is it an advert?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online