Incoming LP12 announcement?

Daveyf

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 12, 2018
San Diego
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A more massive object will have a characteristic (harmonic, resonant) frequency that is lower than that of a lighter object. So a heavier stand will vibrate at a lower frequency, and therefore, with more energy than a lighter one. Lower frequencies have more energy. This energy will be transferred to the component on the stand. With the heavy Klimax machined case, when the vibrations in the stand reach the case, they are damped quite effectively.
This is exactly why components benefit from superior isolation. Which also applies to the ARad.

Last edited:

dikki

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2019
Amsterdam
www.dikki.nl
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've been told earlier about this (probably also by you, @ThomasOK ?), so I'm still wondering if I should turn my ARad around to hear the difference. But what I do not get is why should what I can only think of as physical movement from outside the electronics have an effect on the electronic signal itself?

Can anyone here supply me with maybe a start of an explanation about that?

sktn77a

Audio Dinosaur
Wammer
Nov 11, 2014
NC, USA
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Energy is inversely related to frequency (lower frequency, lower energy) and directly proportional to amplitude (higher volume, higher energy). How this relates to the mass of isolation platforms, I'm sure, is a little more complicated.

StellanH

Wammer
Jun 12, 2020
I've been told earlier about this (probably also by you, @ThomasOK ?), so I'm still wondering if I should turn my ARad around to hear the difference. But what I do not get is why should what I can only think of as physical movement from outside the electronics have an effect on the electronic signal itself?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microphonics

• Thanks
Reactions: dikki and akamatsu

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
And the source of the movement are the sound waves in the air directly hitting the circuits. So these circuits should be held at a fixed point in space. Doing this creates another problem in that the stand used to hold the circuit steady is also subject to these airborne vibrations (sound). Lightweight, rigid, and stable will help by moving things in the direction of minimizing both paths of vibration from impacting the circuitry. Obviously, the circuit is anchored and not moveable. The stand will vibrate minimally, but with little energy as it is light and rigid. The smaller amount of movement would then be damped by the heavier case and the overall mass of the component.

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Also, I don't know this for a fact, but I suspect that the Klimax cases would function as sound proof boxes so that the circuitry would be isolated from the sound energy directly impacting. This is how Linn are able to mount the circuit boards in Klimax kit on rubber grommets, thus further isolating from vibrations in the case.

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This whole topic of vibrations is very fascinating to me, certainly as a mechanical engineer, but it is off topic. I plan on resurrecting my Rakk Hakk thread as I have more to add. Perhaps we could continue the discussion there. Stay tuned.

13th Duke of Wymbourne

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2018
Dana Point, Ca
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am sure the KRad came about for cosmetic reasons only. If not, Linn should be embarrassed that they could not solve a problem for less than a $3k adder. That would be poor engineering.
This is a case where differences between ARad & KRad should be measurable - the only job is to supply a constant DC voltage to the motor. So, setup a speaker near the Radikal box and measure how much the DC is modulated, if it is modulated.

• Upvote
Reactions: Daveyf

ThomasOK

LP12 Whisperer, Lejonklou importer
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes

Yes, you should definitely try it. That way you know whether you hear anything or not and it is free. As to why it works? Generally the best we can do is guess. One thing to think about is that all digital circuitry has clocks or in other words oscillators. Guess what oscillators do? Yep, oscillate! Now what happens if the chip that is doing the oscillating is oscillated by outside energy? Hmmm.

Personally I take a more pragmatic approach. If you can hear it then it is real. Why are Ethernet cables different? I don't know but they are. Why are they directional? I don't know but they are. Why do they sound different at different lengths? I don't know but they do. Why do different samples of the same Ethernet cable made by the came company the same way and the same length sound different? I don't know but they do. But some will say if you can't measure it it doesn't exist. Really? Atoms didn't exist before we could measure them? Gotta be careful about keeping an open mind...something might fall in!

Last edited:

sktn77a

Audio Dinosaur
Wammer
Nov 11, 2014
NC, USA
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Why do different samples of the same Ethernet cable made by the came company the same way and the same length sound different? I don't know but they do.
That's scary thought..................

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
And the source of the movement are the sound waves in the air directly hitting the circuits. So these circuits should be held at a fixed point in space. Doing this creates another problem in that the stand used to hold the circuit steady is also subject to these airborne vibrations (sound). Lightweight, rigid, and stable will help by moving things in the direction of minimizing both paths of vibration from impacting the circuitry. Obviously, the circuit is anchored and not moveable. The stand will vibrate minimally, but with little energy as it is light and rigid. The smaller amount of movement would then be damped by the heavier case and the overall mass of the component.
Thank goodness they don’t put circuits in loudspeakers then? Oh…!

saxo

Wammer
Jan 26, 2020
France-Bretagne
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Le boîtier fait toute la différence entre le Klimax et le modèle standard (Akurate). La seule chose qu'il semble que personne n'ait faite est un AB entre le cas Klimax en lui-même et le cas Akurate avec l'isolement de ce cas. Si le boîtier Klimax est seul responsable de cette amélioration, en raison d'une conception plus rigide, l'isolement du boîtier Akurate semble avoir beaucoup de sens, à mon humble avis.:ninja:

Bonjour,
Avec mon boitier Akurate Radikal c'était bien, je l'ai remplacé par un assemblé avec des plaques en aluminium épaisseur 10 mm. Avec cartes Radikal à l'intérieur du bloc aluminium(10kg) la musique est plus compréhensible, moins floue !
La masse en aluminium supprime les vibrations, et permet un meilleur isolement.

https://www.casimages.com/i/210126110203901293.jpg.html

Reactions: kryno and akamatsu

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Bonjour,
Avec mon boitier Akurate Radikal c'était bien, je l'ai remplacé par un assemblé avec des plaques en aluminium épaisseur 10 mm. Avec cartes Radikal à l'intérieur du bloc aluminium(10kg) la musique est plus compréhensible, moins floue !
La masse en aluminium supprime les vibrations, et permet un meilleur isolement.

https://www.casimages.com/i/210126110203901293.jpg.html
The photo looks very familiar. I'm thinking you posted on the internet about this project a long time ago. Yes, more mass would provide for a better vibration sink. It simply takes more energy to move a more massive object than a less massive one. This is basically the definition of mass.

saxo

Wammer
Jan 26, 2020
France-Bretagne
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Tu as un bon souvenir, en effet j'ai posté cette photo fin janvier 2021 sur Wigwam :
Amélioration : Akurate Radikal à Klimax Radikal (30 et 35)

Reactions: akamatsu

hodge555

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 6, 2018
London, UK
www.hoth.uk
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Here is a simplified skinny, I hope.

The new announcements are (all prices US):
1) Linn Arko tonearm at $3900 which replaces the discontinued Akito 3 (orders still accepted until July 15th or when stocks run out) and is supposed to be quite superior. Headshell, arm tube and bearing assembly all machined out of 7075 aluminum to improve resonance handling and rigidity. Improved bearings for smoother motion and a new counterweight design are included. Designed and manufactured by Linn.
2) Linn Kendo MC cartridge at $3640. Made to Linn's design by EMT and trickle down of the technology from the Ekstatik. Obviously the looks are very similar. The Kendo is a bit heavier lacking the honeycomb machining on the top of the body and has a boron cantilever with fine line stylus. It still features the bronze/aluminum threaded inserts for three point mounting and Linn claims that the Ekstatik and Kendo have the flattest frequency response of any cartridges Linn have made with no emphasis of any range. The Krystal remains in the line as does the Kandid - Linn looks at it as having two cartridges for each level of LP12.
3) Linn Koil MC cartridge at $1040. Linn cooperated with AT on a variant of the OC9 range built to Linn's specs with a change to the suspension said to take it to the next level of perfromance. It has a boron cantilever and nude microlinear stylus.
4) The Linn Krane tonearm is now available separately for $1755. I was informed that Linn is going to be bringing at least some of manufacturing of the Krane in house under license as Clearaudio is unable to make the number Linn needs to sell it separately.
5) The Majik LP12 will now be available with the Adikt for $4995 or with the Koil for $5180 with standard plinths (extra for fluted or custom colors).
6) The Selekt LP12 now replaces the discontinued Akurate LP12! The recommended package includes the Arko and Kendo and runs $14,350. The Selekt LP12 price is simply the total of the separate prices of the components, no package discount, just as the Klimax LP12 is. So you can configure it anyway you want - like substituting the Radikal for the Lingo 4 and the Adikt for the Kendo giving you a superior table for under $600 more (put on an AT VM95 series if you want the price to be less instead of more). The Majik LP12s are a package with significant savings over the cost of the components added together.
7) Linn is also offering a trade in on Lingos towards the standard chassis Radikal of $650. This is for any Lingo so it is quite a good deal for Lingo 1 owners.

One would think that the replacement of the Akurate LP12 with the Selekt LP12 might indicate future direction in the electronics ranges.

I haven't read through all the documentation yet but it appears that all these items are available to order immediately.
I've just finished adding the new LP12 kit into my Linn reference webpages, www.hoth.uk/LP12-FAQ.htm and www.hoth.co.uk/LP12-FAQ.htm, so thanks for this info.
I took the opportunity to do a bit more tidying up at the same time, to the LP12 page and the regular page www.hoth.uk/Linn-kit.htm and www.hoth.co.uk/Linn-kit.htm.
I also added in the stuff about the MSDM/4 not being able to support MCs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles