stormyuklondon1

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 10, 2006
AKA
Scott
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
cracking show last year, the Ross Halfin exhibition was a particular highlight. really looking forward to next weekend, I haven't said that about  a hifi show in a long time, tbh.

graham67

Wammer
Wammer
May 19, 2010
Yes a good show this one.  Unfortunately  I was a bit slow on the free tickets mentioned above.  Does anyone know of any other discount codes to this event?

many thanks

graham

AlmaAtaKZ

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 29, 2012
London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Visited today, tried some headphones and ordered some wireless earbuds with custom shells. 

sunbeamgls

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 19, 2011
North Wales
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
i enjoyed the show last year so heading to it again today.
Don't miss (but not necessarily for good reasons, I'll let you choose):

Yamaha NS5000M

KEF Q Series ATMOS

Emotiva

Ophidian (ask them to play the tiny speakers)

Pearl Acoustics

Wire on Wire

See if you can get a demo of the CAD high frequency noise sink in the ear magazine room

IsoAcoustics (in the Focal room)

Kudos

Unfortunately I ran out of time and managed to miss the Kii room, much to my annoyance.

graham67

Wammer
Wammer
May 19, 2010
Another good show, plenty to see and hear.  I really enjoyed listening to lots of kraftwerks 3d on the 11 speaker kef system with accompanying visuals via projector. Just ask them to put it on if they are playing something else, it's worth it!

The top of line active PMC professional speakers (over two metres high) were also excellent so i ended up listening to most of DSOTM as i didn't want to leave.

Longdogs system using LS 5/9s and lots of MFA gear was lovely with real energy not often found in a BBC system.

The yamaha ns5000s were impressive but out of reach price wise for mere mortals.

The new PMC Cor integrated amp looked and sounded good, would love to hear it in my system!

It was not too busy today so it was mostly easy access to the rooms. I was there about 5 hours so can't argue with the vfm.

If in doubt, do give it a go, its got the makings of a really good show.

Blackmetalboon

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 1, 2015
Brighton
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Don't miss (but not necessarily for good reasons, I'll let you choose):

Yamaha NS5000M

KEF Q Series ATMOS

Emotiva

Ophidian (ask them to play the tiny speakers)

Pearl Acoustics

Wire on Wire

See if you can get a demo of the CAD high frequency noise sink in the ear magazine room

IsoAcoustics (in the Focal room)

Kudos

Unfortunately I ran out of time and managed to miss the Kii room, much to my annoyance.
Thanks for the heads up, popped into most of those rooms.

Blackmetalboon

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 1, 2015
Brighton
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
[SIZE=11pt]Enjoyed the show again today. Popped into pretty much every room, if only for a quick look/listen.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]The Good...[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]KEF - The KEF room playing Kraftwerk 3D was great fun, stayed in there for several tracks, I would have loved to experience a movie through that system. The Wireless LS50’s sounded nice too.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Amphion - Had a good chat with the guys in their rooms, deceptively large sounds coming out of some rather small speakers. I almost felt like lifting up the table cloth under the equipment to look for a sub when listening to the smallest speaker in the range![/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Yamaha - I agree with everyone else’s comments regarding the NS-5000.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Chord Electronics - I was looking forward to hearing the Blu MKII, DAVE & Mezzo Amp (I’m a massive Chord fanboi), these were set up with a pair of Neat speakers which I no experience with.  Sounded good even with my choice of CD’s, although I’d like to hear them again with a larger speaker. The Hugo 2 and TToby sounded excellent although I can’t remember what speakers they were paired with.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]CAD - Walked into a cover of Billie Jean playing (The Civil Wars?), I’ve no details of the kit used but some fantastic sounds coming from some pretty ugly speakers! [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]The Bad...[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Devialet - After the massive disappointment of the Devialet room last year, where the Phantoms sounded harsh and technical problems meant I didn’t get to hear their Amps through the KEF Blades, I ventured inside. Well, the Phantoms sounded better but I’m still underwhelmed by them. Next I finally got a chance to hear the Amps with a pair of Wilson speakers (another first for me), unfortunately the surface noise of the vinyl that was playing was so bad I left.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]The Chord Company - Everyone loves a cable demonstration! The demo started off with a few technical issues which was blamed on bad electricity before descending into the biggest loads of BS and cringe-worthy salesmanship I ever come across. I could go on but the post might need to be moved to the Pub Car Park.[/SIZE]

Shadow

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 25, 2014
Berkshire
AKA
Brian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I visited the show yesterday.  Very interesting how some demonstrations seamed to get things right and others so very wrong.  I agree with the posts above, the KEF Q series Dolby Atmos demonstration was great fun and sounded good.  Compare this to the Arcam room, where they had a huge rack stuffed with Arcam amps and a processor and a full compliment of far more expensive KEF Reference speakers.  This was a big room, but I would say about 90% of the sound power appeared to be emanating just from KEF Reference centre speaker.  The main front speakers were KEF reference 5's and I could hardly hear them.  Maybe an issue with the mix on the Blu ray disc they were playing, but hey, they chose the disc as well!

I too listened to the Devialet Phantom golds, but cannot really give much of an opinion of them because they were absolutely hammering them.  OK, for sure they go loud and produce lots of bass (which I am guessing was the point of the demo), but I don't think any system in the building would have been listenable at that volume.  By contrast, I dropped by later and listened to the Devialet 1000 Pro driving Wilson Sasha II's, this was a much better demo, and just about the best I have ever heard the Saha's.

Another disappointment was the Vertere Acoustics room, which featured the RG-1 Reference Motor Drive turntable, FM 123 Phono Linearizer; FM Preamplifiers and FM 108 Mono Power Amplifiers. FM Inspiration XS-III Loudspeakers.  Apparently this was £500,000 worth of kit.  OK, not something I was interested in seriously evaluating because it is a little expensive, but I was curios as to just how good it might sound.  I arrived at the room just as one track was finishing, and sat down to hear what might be played next.  Things then got slightly comical, the person demonstrating sorted out the next record, and at the same time was engrossed in conversation with a small group sat at the front of the demo area.  About six times he move the record towards the turntable, then stopped and re-engaged in conversation.  We were sat there watching, each time it was 'will he play it this time?....  No!'   Eventually the record was queued up and music flowed.  I am not sure what the recording was, it sounded like something from the late 50's or early 60's, but the thing is, it was not a particularly good recording, so half a million quid's worth of kit ended up sounding no better than a Sonos or similar.  Very strange.  I am not criticising the kit, I am sure that in different circumstances it would sound sublime, it's just that if you are going to lug half a million pounds worth of kit to London, why not pay a bit more attention to how you demonstrate it?  I would have stayed to listen to the next track, but it was by this time getting late and it had taken 15 minutes for the first track to actually get played.  In fairness to our man demonstrating, the group at the front may have been interested in making a purchase and if I had some folk interested in making a £500,000 purchase, I would give them my full attention also.

I too spent some time listening to the Yamaha NS5000M's.  Was it the best sounding room in the show?  Probably not, but I simply sat there for a while and really enjoyed having a listen.  Plus I now have a very good idea of what the Yamaha's are capable of, which is more than I can say regarding the Vertere Acoustics kit.

As a final observation, for a show in west London on a Saturday, it was very quiet indeed.  I walked into some rooms and I was the only person there apart from the company reps. (which is great if you are interested in what is in the room and want to arrange a demo with music of your choice, but a little awkward if you wander in and find nothing of interest and have to make your excuses)  Considering the costs of an event like this, I cannot see that it is fanatically viable to be honest.

• Upvote
Reactions: arb70sok

Metatron

Aurally Satisfied
Wammer
Jan 15, 2009
Remote
AKA
Varies by deed poll
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Everyone loves a cable demonstration! The demo started off with a few technical issues which was blamed on bad electricity before descending into the biggest loads of BS and cringe-worthy salesmanship I ever come across.
Isn't that standard for any cable demo? ;)

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
'Bad electricity'.

Love it.

'Naughty electricity. Bad boy. Do not do that again'.

• Haha
Reactions: orangeart

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.