Wammer
Dec 25, 2009
Devon
AKA
Shaun
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Hi, yes.. probably the 15 billionth thread about insurance.

I'm moving to a flat soon and will have to sort out contents insurance. I have *most* of the receipts for my hifi stuff but is any insurer going to take it seriously? Do you need to get it looked over by someone in the know first? (I was considering politely asking one of my devon friends in the business to just sign a printed word document inventory or something? :minikev: )

Never done this before so apologies if it's a stupid question. Wondering how much it'll cost a month and if they'll just laugh in my face when I say I want to insure a stereo worth a few grand :?

Cheers.

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It has been covered. IIRC there are differing opinions about this on the 'Wam :shock: I think Hifi is regarded as part of contents so the individual item limit is what you'd get. However for some insurers the whole hifi is a single item and you just add the value to the rest of the contents :dunno: I'd certainly check it and get it in writing if you go with one of the off the peg insurers.

If the bucks are there then Hiscocks seem to be pretty much universally well regarded, they broker for Chubb and do the high value homes and stuff like that. Depending on your situation this may be overkill. I use them and have asked two or three times and get the response above each time.

Others will know much more I daresay. Good luck with the move!

jon

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
, ,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm with Halifax (who aren't all that expensive). They cover 'high risk items' up to a max amount, which may or may not work out good value for you, depending how many things (inc hi-fi) you have that fall into this category.

When an amp of mine was damaged, the company they use first offered me an insulting amount (to cover an amp near the bottom of a manufacturer's range, with similar features/inputs/stated power output). I had to argue that the damaged amp was a better-quality bit of kit (pointed out measurable differences e.g. lower THD at high output levels) and was then surprised when they offered to settle for a very generous amount without even needing to see the damaged amp. I'm sure photos, receipts etc. can't hurt, though!

kernow

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2009
Devon
AKA
Shaun
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I'll look into it, I only really care about theft cover and not damage. Don't want to spend a massive amount per month but I want piece of mind for sure.

jon

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
, ,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'll look into it, I only really care about theft cover and not damage. Don't want to spend a massive amount per month but I want piece of mind for sure.
Insurance will generally cover both theft and damage (lots won't cover accidental damage, but will cover damage in floods etc.) Unless you're remarkably confident that - for example - your upstairs neighbour won't leave their bath to overflow, I don't think there's much benefit in looking for insurance that only covers on and not the other.

JVS

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 28, 2009
Ilford, Essex
AKA
Jim
When you fill in the form Shaun, don't say anything about being accident prone :nup: and definitely don't list grinders along with your hi fi in the electrical section :^

:D

kernow

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2009
Devon
AKA
Shaun
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
When you fill in the form Shaun, don't say anything about being accident prone :nup: and definitely don't list grinders along with your hi fi in the electrical section :^ :D
Hahaha duly noted :)

Pussycat

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
Norwich
AKA
Mike
Try John Lewis. There's no single article limit on hifi.
Yes, John Lewis are slightly unusual in having a no limit cover on contents (as well as buildings), and they're not expensive like bespoke insurers like Hiskox. Anyway, most insurers have a separate A-V section, which covers accidental damage, regardless of whether you have this on the other sections. Item limits don't usually apply, providing your A-V cover is relative to your entire contents cover.

simply taking pic's and serial nos. as a record is sufficient; they won't want to know unless there's a claim! They just want y'money !

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Louis_067