Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Looks like a pretty good room I'd say. That ceiling will break up standing waves and there's plenty of treatment as well as some 'live' surfaces. In other words, much like 'real' rooms rather than an acoustically dead space.

A touch larger than most of our listening spaces though ;)
I should qualify my statement. I don’t know the room and I don’t know how they intend to set up the HiFi but I assume full range speakers. For listening to playback in a treated studio the best place is going to be nearfield in front of the mixer. It’s unlikely that they will set up the HiFi speakers there and ask everyone to crowd around the sweet spot. Also the live room is huge and so
Looks like a pretty good room I'd say. That ceiling will break up standing waves and there's plenty of treatment as well as some 'live' surfaces. In other words, much like 'real' rooms rather than an acoustically dead space.

A touch larger than most of our listening spaces though ;)
I should clarify my comment. The best place to listen to recorded playback in a properly treated studio will be nearfield in front of the mix monitors. I suspect that the HiFi will not be set up there and everyone will not take turns to sit in the sweet spot. And so the speakers will be somewhere in the quite large live room. Hopefully it will be an interesting event for the attendees.

George 47

Subjectivist
Staff member
Jan 1, 2006
United Kingdom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The guys at Audio Consultants tell me there are still some spaces left in the additional session on the Sunday morning. Buy now or forever regret it.

Reactions: DomT and MVJ

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The guys at Audio Consultants tell me there are still some spaces left in the additional session on the Sunday morning. Buy now or forever regret it.
Just wish I was closer & not in lockdown 🤬

terrycym

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 6, 2011
North Hampshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Many thanks to the guys at Audio Consultants and Damon at Crescent Record Studio for a most interesting and enjoyable event. I learnt a lot!

Last edited:
Reactions: lazyscott

lazyscott

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 31, 2006
Chiltern Hills
AKA
Leo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Me too, I had a very enjoyable time. Damon is a very interesting person and happy to share his ideas.
Oh and the system that Stephen and Alex put together wasn’t to shabby either!

terrycym

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 6, 2011
North Hampshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The live music had a huge dynamic range especially the drums which was toned down in mixing. The double bass was brought up a bit to better match the piano and drums.
Some described the live music too tiring while the recording more enjoyable

Last edited:

George 47

Subjectivist
Staff member
Jan 1, 2006
United Kingdom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I and Mr Underhill will put together some more considered thoughts on the day but overall it was superb with lots of images.

Damon is obviously someone who knows his trade inside out with all his choices listened to, explained and used to advantage. There were no unnecessary fripperies. Even to the point where he accepts there are differences between cables and accepts his fellow engineers may not always accept that and will laugh about the observation. I have been to a Mike Valentine recording where there were 2 main microphones with a Jecklin disc between and a couple of spot mikes. This was very different with a big mixing desk and a lot of microphones, superbly mixed. And we will all receive the four tracks from the day on a nice CD.

Our two tracks sounded realistic on the system in the room after being mixed. The real event had (as you expect) huge dynamics and attack and as I was about 4 feet from a 9-foot grand, it was very powerful. The recorded mix had a better arrangement of the instruments as no one would record everything from 4 feet away. In fact, the audio system sounded so nice I had to blag the CD player from Audio Consultants. I only had to haul Stephen's arm half up his back. :D :D It should hopefully be here early next year.

Reactions: DomT

MF 1000

Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Excellento.......

Stephen has decided it would be best to use a system that people could actually afford so it may be below £10K. Still to be decided. I think it was because he did not want to bring along a 100kg speaker and a crane.
Only 100Kg and needs a crane …..not trying hard enough imho 😂😂😂😂

George 47

Subjectivist
Staff member
Jan 1, 2006
United Kingdom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use damping plates. If you have an ARC valve amplifier, tap the metal case...ring....add a damping plate (developed to reduce vibrations in helicopters) and it becomes a damped thud. Stops the amp case joining in (and a few other things).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online