Interference from appliances; dramas with mains

scottyscottster

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 21, 2011
Nottinghamshire
I have read a bunch of threads on whether or not a mains conditioner/filter/regenerator is a good idea and (whilst I am better informed) I am no nearer deciding what I should do. This might be because I am thick.

In short, switching on other appliances (washing machine, hairdryer etc) causes a nasty background hum. Re-wiring the house is not an option and when other appliances are not in use the mains supply seems pretty good (quiet, constant). I am unlikely to buy a new/expensive conditioner so an extended demo from a dealer is unlikely; I will probably buy a used item (isotek minisub? fidelity audio filter?) and shift it on if things sounds worse.

Naim seem to place a lot of store on refining power supply so the idea of adding a component that messes around with the power before it gets to their electronics does seem a little inconsistent. That said, the chances of me listening to my system when all other appliances in the house are switched off is very, very low so some kind of compromise seems in order.

Without wanting to re-start old arguments, I'd welcome some advice on the least worst options (accepting that the time for trying harder in school in order to understand how electricity works has probably passed).

Thanks

M

MallyMad

Tacima cs929 at £30 or they do one at £18 as well. Probably worth a try. There's also a BT mains conditioner with two plugs on eBay for £24. Try them before you get into mad expensive stuff. Could also be worth buying a decent mains lead £25/30 and there's also cheap ferrite rings you can use £3.50 that clip onto cables.

I,also,am stupid as mince so someone who knows better will keep you right.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hmmm.

Pops and clicks and miscellaneous noises are one thing. Frankly, seriously audible background hum with other appliances does suggest that regardless of whether re-wiring is an option or not, you might want to get the earthing checked just to be on the safe side.

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What about suppressing the offending items? I've never really researched this myself, but are there effective suppressors?

Russ Andrews? :minikev:

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You can add supressors to switches and the like, but serious hum is something a bit different. Really, it simply shouldn't happen unless either something is ridiculously sensitive or faulty, or there is an inherent earthing issue.

Personally, in view of potential safety issues, I'd eliminate the possibility of the latter before doing anything.

Seriously, turning something on somewhere in the house really shouldn't produce noticeable hum in the system.

browellm

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
Indeed, £70odd for a proper sparks to have a look sounds like money well spent to me. :nerves:

Joelsim

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 3, 2009
London
AKA
Joel
Definitely try the BT mains conditioner. I bought one on eBay and am very pleased with it. Plus if it doesn't work then you just pop it back on eBay and get your money back.

Worth a try.

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Heere's a vote against the BT conditioners. First you have to be careful that it has sufficient power capacity - a lot are 250W max load which isn't much, second you have to presume that it will do anything other than isolate the mains as they are isolation transformers, not mains conditioners/filters. Thirdly they are officially the property of BT and not for resale should that be a concern to you. Fourthly and most significantly their self-noise as in humming and buzzing is likely going to be worse than what you're trying to cure, they are very far from silent! Oh, and the raft of negative reviews around suggest they don't get rid of pops and clicks either. I would also add as an afterthought but not with any certainty that isolation transformers might be isolating the load side neutral from the earth (which should be at the same potential if your mains is halfway decent). If you have an earth problem this could conceivably make matters even less safe for you.

My advice is read Rabski's post and find a way to pony up for a sparks to nip round and check. Isn't there a 'wam services' thread that might point to someone local and sympathetic?

Mine just sits in the heap of crap I'm too lazy to eBay.

Pussycat

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
Norwich
AKA
Mike
If you own your own flat/house, with that kit, I'd seriously consider having a dedicated radial circuit or two put in, if feasible. However, the hum problem should first be analysed/solved, as Rabski says. Clicks and pops okay, but hum caused by other appliance(s) on the ring? Naim trannies do hum from time to time, as they're susceptible to changes in mains supply, but not like you've described.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Heere's a vote against the BT conditioners. First you have to be careful that it has sufficient power capacity - a lot are 250W max load which isn't much, second you have to presume that it will do anything other than isolate the mains as they are isolation transformers, not mains conditioners/filters. Thirdly they are officially the property of BT and not for resale should that be a concern to you. Fourthly and most significantly their self-noise as in humming and buzzing is likely going to be worse than what you're trying to cure, they are very far from silent! Oh, and the raft of negative reviews around suggest they don't get rid of pops and clicks either. I would also add as an afterthought but not with any certainty that isolation transformers might be isolating the load side neutral from the earth (which should be at the same potential if your mains is halfway decent). If you have an earth problem this could conceivably make matters even less safe for you. My advice is read Rabski's post and find a way to pony up for a sparks to nip round and check. Isn't there a 'wam services' thread that might point to someone local and sympathetic?

Mine just sits in the heap of crap I'm too lazy to eBay.
Bloody hell. some common sense. What is the world coming to.

Obviously, not much. But thank you James and Paul for acknowledging that a few quid spent on some basic testing might not be that dumb.

Mind you. Why bother eh? You could far better spend that on a cable burn-in service or similar which is bound to make more difference :doh:

scottyscottster

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 21, 2011
Nottinghamshire
Belated thanks for the advice. We had an electrician round before Christmas; no safety issues so no immediate action but this year we had the main switch consumer unit replaced. The cost of installing a dedicated radial circuit for the hi-fi was not too expensive (significantly less than a mains conditioner) so we had that done as well - no clicks, no pops, no worries.

If anyone is looking for an electrician in the North Notts area I can thoroughly recommend Carl Noble; really happy with the service he provided.

The Strat

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 17, 2005
Buckingham, UK
AKA
Lindsay
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Scotty my experience entirely. Every time the boiler or any other appliance on the downstairs circuit fired up pop,bang etc. Put in the radial not as much as a click.

V

Voice_Coil

This place was re wired a few years ago, all the sockets up and down are on separate fuses, as are the switches and the big appliances, no pops or clicks here , and NO separate spur :)

Pussycat

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
Norwich
AKA
Mike
............. but this year we had the main switch consumer unit replaced. The cost of installing a dedicated radial circuit for the hi-fi was not too expensive (significantly less than a mains conditioner) so we had that done as well - no clicks, no pops, no worries.
Well done. Doesn't sound like you've gone the full monty with a separate c.u. but every little helps. Have to confess that I don't know what a 'main switch consumer unit' is, though.

wizmax

"Inestimable" Reel to Reel expert
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2010
Hayling Island
AKA
Robin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think he means fuse board, which now days are called consumer units.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles