Internal or External HDD/SSD for Streamer?

MotherSky

The stone that killed two birds
Wammer
Jun 5, 2010
Shropshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That's interesting to hear. Aurslic charge £100 for the internal hard drive kit (no hd included) which is just ridiculous considering similar hd installation kits can be had for £5! Save myself some money and go with external then!

Did you compare an ethernet connection against wifi - with having the router so close by i was going to connect with ethernet as I believe this to be better than wifi. I have a dual band router so could do similar but my experience sways me to want to use ethernet over wifi.
I can't pretend that I fully understand all the variables, so you might have different results, but I tried the following: direct connection to the router; connection to the router via a Cisco ethernet switch powered by a linear power supply; and finally WiFi connection using the 5G band as described - the latter setup definitely sounded consistently better to my ears, but as this allowed me to have the router and accompanying paraphernalia sited elsewhere, this may have been a factor - I didn't really expect this result, and did go to a fair amount of trouble to optimise the ethernet connection - I even acquired some Supra ethernet cable for the final link to the Auralic, which did make an audible improvement, but ultimately found wireless connection to be preferable - YMMV as ever...
MH

Reactions: Smonks

Smonks

Wammer
Dec 12, 2022
Leeds, Yorkshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I can't pretend that I fully understand all the variables, so you might have different results, but I tried the following: direct connection to the router; connection to the router via a Cisco ethernet switch powered by a linear power supply; and finally WiFi connection using the 5G band as described - the latter setup definitely sounded consistently better to my ears, but as this allowed me to have the router and accompanying paraphernalia sited elsewhere, this may have been a factor - I didn't really expect this result, and did go to a fair amount of trouble to optimise the ethernet connection - I even acquired some Supra ethernet cable for the final link to the Auralic, which did make an audible improvement, but ultimately found wireless connection to be preferable - YMMV as ever...
MH
Thanks Mother Sky - that's interesting to hear and will experiment myself. Is your 'MotherSky' name inspired by the Can track per chance? :)

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
With regard to FLAC storage I have around 63000 tracks on a 2tb SSD and there is about 256gb left . This is about 4500 Albums so quite a a decent size .

Reactions: MartinC

MotherSky

The stone that killed two birds
Wammer
Jun 5, 2010
Shropshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks Mother Sky - that's interesting to hear and will experiment myself. Is your 'MotherSky' name inspired by the Can track per chance? :)
Yes indeed - I thought DownTheBakerlooLineWithAnne was a bit cumbersome ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Smonks

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have an Aurlaic Altair G1 and you are right that Auralic recommend external drives. But I have to say that I have compared this to other streamers and it sounds rather good. I also have an Innuos Zen Mini with internal SSD drive that also sounds rather good. Maybe there would be a difference with an external drive but I wouldn’t worry about it unless you have a very very revealing system and are very sensitive to any digital ‘noise’.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles