Internet hub/router

chrismckay

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 30, 2014
Is there any truth in the following information I just read on google.....

It is claimed that having you rrouter in the listening room can cause interference in your hi-fi system...apparently the wi-fi signal is the culprit.

Is nothing straight forward in this hi-fi game?

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Nope!

The Wi-Fi signal is pretty similar all over the house, unless you have a very large space. More likely, though not what is suggested by your quote, is that the cheap wall wart most modem/routers connect to might inject a bit of noise into the mains. Most decent kit won’t bat an eyelid, and of course many pieces of Hifi gear now rely on wireless signals for streaming.

chrismckay

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 30, 2014
Nope!

The Wi-Fi signal is pretty similar all over the house, unless you have a very large space. More likely, though not what is suggested by your quote, is that the cheap wall wart most modem/routers connect to might inject a bit of noise into the mains. Most decent kit won’t bat an eyelid, and of course many pieces of Hifi gear now rely on wireless signals for streaming.
That would make more sense, as you say streamers may rely on wi-fi.

Same Google site claims ethernet cat6 patch leads should be a minimum of 2m / 6ft long.....claiming that on very short connections that the signal can "bounce back"...anybody else heard of this. I am interested as I have just had fibre broadband installed and I am re-arranging the whole network and I was going to use short patch cables where possible , thinking shorter was better.

Chris...

Last edited:

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That would make more sense, as you saym streamers may rely on wi-fi.

Same Google site claims ethernet cat6 patch leads should be a minimum of 2m / 6ft long.....claiming that on very short connections that the signal can "bounce back"...anybody else heard of this. I am interested as I have just had fibre broadband installed and I am re-arranging the whole network and I was going to use short patch cables where possible , thinking shorter was better.

Chris...
It's cobblers.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Whoever wrote the 'bounce back' stuff may have picked up on information from other things and assumed it applies universally. It doesn't. S/PDIF can suffer from attenuation due to signal reflections, as can other transmission methods. However (and it's a massive 'however') to cause any problems, the ratio of reflection to signal has to be high enough for the receiving end to 'see' the reflection as a possible signal. In the vast, vast majority of situations, that is not going to happen. With LAN it's a complete non-issue.

daccordimark

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 16, 2009
Huddersfield
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That will be a No then .

That would make more sense, as you saym streamers may rely on wi-fi.

Chris...
In the dim distant past I remember being told that patch cables should be a certain minimum length but I can't for the life of me remember what that length was. Half a metre springs to mind. I think the reflection issue is only relevant with half-duplex connections and all modern stuff should be full-duplex so you should be okay with shorter cables.

Having said all that I only use cables at least 0.5m long for device to device connections. My patch panel cables are 0.25m for neatness because the premises cable is tens of metres long and it's the total cable length that counts.

parcelmonkey

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 6, 2013
Dover - Kent
AKA
Ade
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In the dim distant past I remember being told that patch cables should be a certain minimum length but I can't for the life of me remember what that length was. Half a metre springs to mind.
That corresponds with Blue Jeans cables minimum length, although they are happy to do custom lengths. 50cms was the shortest length available on their cart.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.