Linn Owners

Interview with Kevin Gray

VinylHabit

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 23, 2016
I saw this as well, good article.

I was going to comment on the other thread about Lingo 4, but this article gives a good example.

Absolutely what he said. :^

I've had many occasions where I've had a digital master LP and the same on CD and even the digital master LP on any level of deck completely trounces the CD on musicality and depth.

Keep it real. B|

There are in fact, very very few peices of music that you can compare on CD and vinyl. They have nearly always been mastered differently for each format.

Being able to find something that is 'actually' the same on each format is almost impossible. (Unless you know someone in the industry who can tell you for sure they are mastered the same)

So although we say we like one or the other, between analogue and digital, we are not comparing apples with apples!

Just play what you like 👍

Mr Kandid

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
May 29, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'd like you to prove that mastering is different for different formats.
If that was the case how many remixes would there have to be for reissues.
Are you seriously saying that original jazz masters are being tweaked for vinyl or cd or streaming independently.:eek:
More so a bit strange that you take my opinion from elsewhere and drop it here like I participated. :sneaky:

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ive read quite a few reviews of vinyl records with buyers complaining that the vinyl sounds the same as the cd. They used to be mastered differently bit I think some record companies are just putting the digital master on the records now. What Kevin Gray is doing is different.

Reactions: Nestor Turton

VinylHabit

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 23, 2016
I'd like you to prove that mastering is different for different formats.
If that was the case how many remixes would there have to be for reissues.
Are you seriously saying that original jazz masters are being tweaked for vinyl or cd or streaming independently.:eek:
More so a bit strange that you take my opinion from elsewhere and drop it here like I participated. :sneaky:

I would love to prove it, but I don't have a sound card to read back in the information from each format to present to you in graph format. Nor however, even if I had the equipment, could I be arsed!
My point was not to get hung up on what digital or analogue, just enjoy the music. You can google plenty of discussion on the topic.

I could have commented on the Lingo thread, but felt it was taking that thread off topic. This article is however about mastering.

Sorry if I have caused offense by quoting you. It wasn't a personal I was just usomg your comment as an example of an often common comment. 'Vinyl is better'

Mr Kandid

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
May 29, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If it sounds better it is better.
Don't quote me out of text.
If you picked this out to cause argument what's your angle ?
Or as you say just listen.

VinylHabit

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 23, 2016
No argument.
You seem very upset about this.

Comment was about mastering not you.

Shan't bother in future.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads