Linn Owners

Is a Majik Exaktbox-i a worthwhile upgrade for Majik DSM/2+Majik140?

JensA

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Oct 12, 2018
Hamburg, Germany
AKA
Jens-Michael Arndt
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've been super happy with my Majik DSM/2 for 5 years and now have a pair of Majik 140s (and a REL sub) for more than a year.
So all the prerequisites for EXAKT are there, but I'm not sure if this is the right route to take.

A few thoughts:

- The Akurate Exaktbox-i alone costs almost as much as the rest of my system.
- from time to time used Majik Exaktbox-i's turn up on the 2nd hand market. of course they are much cheaper and I could upgrade to katalyst (a hefty 3,000 euros, are they worth it?) later with a fresh 5 year warranty.
- If I decide to buy a Majik Exaktbox-i, it would be very tempting to "exchange" my Majik DSM/2 for an Akurate system Hub (2nd hand values of both devices are very similar and I would get HDMI 2.0 as an upgrade).
- the question remains if it would be smart to go the "Akurate" way at the very moment Linn stops production

Any ideas and recommendations?

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would say, go for it. That would include getting the Akurate System Hub as well. I actually saw an ASH available for under $1000! To me, Exakt is fantastic and brings more than Space Optimisation and a DAC improvement (Haven't listened to an Organik equipped system yet.) But Exakt does rely on a very precise system setup to work optimally.

Reactions: ashhadk and Piercro

Dasher

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
OK, as I have both systems (Majik DSM/2 and ASH/Exaktbox-i Kat) and as the MDSM is easy to unplug, I've just run this as a demo for you. I'm using Kehlidhs and not 140s, but they can easily resolve the difference. What I can.t do is put the Kelidhs onto the MDSM - so I've run this with Katans instead. Firstly the streamer source makes huge difference - the ASH/EB-i is a significant improvement on the MDSM as the front end. This is not a small difference it is instantaneous . Using the MDSM as a source/pre amp into the AEB-i and then Katans is a step up on passive with Katans. It's not actually massive - but there again the Katans are pretty good passive whereas the Keilidhs active via EB-i are a different world to Keilidhs passive. I have run my MSDSM (both active and passive) with Katans and a 5125 - pasisive with a 5125 is a step up (significant) on the MDSM as an integrated unit.
What I can't comment on is what 140s sound like passive - never heard them in this configuration.
If I had the budget I'd go ASH/AEB-i Kat - no question at all. The MDSM is really for those that want a one box solution. Don't get me wrong - it's good, but the ASH/AEB-iK is in a different league that is instantly noticeable.
If you are happy passive then the MDSM is greatly improved by the use of an external amplifier.
Finally, there is a world of difference between a Katalyst Exactbox-i and a non-K version. I've had both and the K version was probably the biggest single upgrade that I've ever made (and I've made quite a few)!
The AEB-i K is getting expensive - it was a lot cheaper only 18 months ago and there will no doubt be comments that going Selekt is a better long term route. That may be, but a used ASH is cheap as chips (relatively speaking). I also suspect that one day soon the AEB-i will become SEB-i and get Organik and whatever the latest named PS is (and if this happens then upgrades may also be available).

JensA

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Oct 12, 2018
Hamburg, Germany
AKA
Jens-Michael Arndt
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@akamatsu and @Dasher

Many thanks!
Doesn't make it easier, as it's tempting :p

2 further questions:

- I totally forgot about the REL T9i sub 🤒

If I want to continue using the sub, I have to buy an Exaktbox-sub, correct?
But the T9i is not one of the supported subs and REL have this weird cabling...
But perhaps I would not even miss the sub😉 and the rest of the family would also be happy to get rid of this big black speaker in the corner o our living room...

- Distance MDSM to 140s is about 6m and 1 pair of speakercables have been laid under plaster sofar. With an MEB-i / AEB-i it would probably be easier to bridge the distance with one single CAT5 cable and put the exaktbox closer to (i.e. between) the 140s in order in order to avoid a speaker cable mess, correct?

• Upvote
Reactions: akamatsu

Dasher

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I can't answer your sub question. Mine are both firmly in the 'analogue' system and triggered from the Kisto! I've never even considered a sub on the Exakt system - the room is 'bass-live' to say the least! Also, with Keilidhs, going active extends the bass by about 10Hz.

To your cable question: I have my EB-i to one side and so have three sets of K400 to the speakers. There's a door (to the outside) sitting between them ! I do have conduit below the door (being an outside door it has a raised threshold) - so it is neat. If I had the choice I would do as you suggest - site the EB-i between the speakers and use short runs of cable to the speakers themselves (as you have 4 drivers to feed on each speaker).

You should've kept the Kelidhs from your vintage system - they are just brilliant on the end of an EB-i!

JensA

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Oct 12, 2018
Hamburg, Germany
AKA
Jens-Michael Arndt
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You should've kept the Kelidhs from your vintage system - they are just brilliant on the end of an EB-i!
:D The supply situation for Keilidhs in very good condition is excellent so I am not worried at all...plus the new Owner of my Keilidhs is a very nice older gentleman who really appreciates the Keilidhs, so they are in good hands...

• Love
Reactions: akamatsu and Dasher

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It appears that you may be able to operate the sub-woofer with the Majik DSM and without an Exaktbox sub as the Majik DSM has analogue out. Going to the Akurate System Hub would require the Exaktbox sub (no analogue out).

silkie

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 9, 2018
Saffron Walden
AKA
Jon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It appears that you may be able to operate the sub-woofer with the Majik DSM and without an Exaktbox sub as the Majik DSM has analogue out. Going to the Akurate System Hub would require the Exaktbox sub (no analogue out).
I tried running an ADSM/3 & Akurate Exaktbox-I (with Katans) using an RCA line out from the DSM to run a sub. The sub was out of time, noticeably. With the Exktbox-Sub that evened out.

entdgc

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Congleton, England
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I tried running an ADSM/3 & Akurate Exaktbox-I (with Katans) using an RCA line out from the DSM to run a sub. The sub was out of time, noticeably. With the Exktbox-Sub that evened out.
I don't have Akurate and have never run a sub! Is there nowhere to adjust the timing in either the DSM or sub?

silkie

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 9, 2018
Saffron Walden
AKA
Jon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't have Akurate and have never run a sub! Is there nowhere to adjust the timing in either the DSM or sub?
Apologies if I've veered off topic. I didn't settle with Exakt in the end and went for Active cards in amps. Looking back I think I might have been a little hasty. I didn't look for timing adjustments either. It felt to me an Exaktbox-Sub was essential in an Exakt system if subs are your thang.

Reactions: entdgc

Ahultin

Wammer
Dec 31, 2018
It's been a while since I visited the forum, but I just wanted to give my thoughts on whethwe you should get an Exaktbox-i or not:
Just do it!
I had M140s and Majik DSI & M6100 driving them aktiv - and went to AEDSM and Exaktbox-i - it was a massive upgrade. The clarity of the music, to follow a tune. Just wow....
Just to say - if you get the chance to grab one, just go ahead and do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles