Wammer
Aug 10, 2018
India
AKA
Y.Manohar / mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi all :)

I've always believed that reverb time , or RT60 as we call it, is the time that a musical note takes to diminish below 60db in volume, from the original note. In smaller rooms like mine it is RT30.

Then I saw the below video on darko audio today, where he states that the reverb time, is the time lapse after which the original note reflects and returns to the listening position to interfere with the direct sound, causing comb filtering. Iam pretty convinced iam right. But considering that darko is a well respected reviewer, I thought I'd give him the benefit of doubt, just incase iam wrong. Thanks in advance for any clarifications.

The topic starts at the 5 min mark :

https://darko.audio/2022/08/a-long-film-about-room-reverb-and-how-its-messing-with-your-hi-fi/

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi all :)

I've always believed that reverb time , or RT60 as we call it, is the time that a musical note takes to diminish below 60db in volume, from the original note. In smaller rooms like mine it is RT30.

Then I saw the below video on darko audio today, where he states that the reverb time, is the time lapse after which the original note reflects and returns to the listening position to interfere with the direct sound, causing comb filtering. Iam pretty convinced iam right. But considering that darko is a well respected reviewer, I thought I'd give him the benefit of doubt, just incase iam wrong. Thanks in advance for any clarifications.

The topic starts at the 5 min mark :

https://darko.audio/2022/08/a-long-film-about-room-reverb-and-how-its-messing-with-your-hi-fi/
When I watched the video I thought he explained it exactly how you in your first paragraph above, and I don’t remember him explaining like you do in your second paragraph. I think the main problem with the video was that he completely missed explaining about diffuser panels were for, although about half the panels in his room are diffusers.

newlash09

Iam deaf at the ears, but way more dumb in between
Wammer
Aug 10, 2018
India
AKA
Y.Manohar / mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
At least a couple of the acoustics experts at ASR say that RT60 is of no use for small domestic listening room Acoustics
I would beg to differ sir :)

Small rooms need treatment more than big rooms. As the reflection times are much shorter, and will interfere with the direct sound, more than in bigger rooms with a larger reflection time.

The above said sir, let's please try to avoid mentioning ASR :(

Edit : for small rooms we measure RT30 and not RT60, could be that the so called experts were referring to this.

• Upvote
Reactions: DomT

newlash09

Iam deaf at the ears, but way more dumb in between
Wammer
Aug 10, 2018
India
AKA
Y.Manohar / mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When I watched the video I thought he explained it exactly how you in your first paragraph above, and I don’t remember him explaining like you do in your second paragraph. I think the main problem with the video was that he completely missed explaining about diffuser panels were for, although about half the panels in his room are diffusers.
I might have got the video timing wrong sir :)

But I definitely remember Mr.Darko associating reverb time with reflection time of sound waves. And I stopped watching then and there. So could possibly be, that he corrected himselves later :)

garn63

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
www.avfc.co.uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Oh you've mentioned ASR this thread will now have to be closed.
No it won't ? Think what folks are objecting to are links to their site. Which is fair really imo as they object having folks on there that don't agree with their "approach" ?
It seems on the WAM that some people have adopted ASR as their team & defend them to the last. It's not football, it's a bit of hifi chat & discussion.
As we get older our views can change either through knowledge or simply having a diff taste ? Banging a drum blindly and without consideration that it's only your point of view, and others are entitled to theirs, is the formula for a contentious debate. The worst threads on the WAM go this way. Who wants to see/read that ?
ASR is more like a cult than a forum imo. You must be enjoying more freedom on here to express your opinion ..rather than having to agree & repeat the "party line" of ASR ? ;)

Miller-8

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 6, 2005
Midlothian, UK
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No it won't ? Think what folks are objecting to are links to their site. Which is fair really imo as they object having folks on there that don't agree with their "approach" ?
It seems on the WAM that some people have adopted ASR as their team & defend them to the last. It's not football, it's a bit of hifi chat & discussion.
As we get older our views can change either through knowledge or simply having a diff taste ? Banging a drum blindly and without consideration that it's only your point of view, and others are entitled to theirs, is the formula for a contentious debate. The worst threads on the WAM go this way. Who wants to see/read that ?
ASR is more like a cult than a forum imo. You must be enjoying more freedom on here to express your opinion ..rather than having to agree & repeat the "party line" of ASR ? ;)
No I like to listen to both sides of the argument. Banning ASR is just plain bullshit imo.

Reactions: Shadders

garn63

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
www.avfc.co.uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No I like to listen to both sides of the argument. Banning ASR is just plain bullshit imo.
You don't listen do you ? Did you read my post ?
"Banning ASR" ? "Bullsh*t ? It could be said that some tend to like a row rather than try to learn anything..about anything ? Maybe you think the WAM is here as your very own "vent" to let off steam. Your not offering anything that most reading the thread would find even mildly interesting. Am done. 🥁🎤

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Listen to both sides there then!!
When you own your own forum, you can do what you like!
Until then, respect the Administrators and Moderators decisions.

And you are thread crapping which is banned.

Le Baron

Fully exonerated
Wammer
Oct 18, 2020
Pays-Bas
AKA
Jean-Marc
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Unless a room is empty with no absorbant surfaces (even wallpaper) there is no reverb.

Reactions: garn63

garn63

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
www.avfc.co.uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
And you are thread crapping which is banned.
You know if you "just land" on a thread, and your old.. & your humour/irony is old too, and you then decide to just put up a Pop tune, or say.. an inappropriate Video ?
Is that thread crapping ?
*Asking for a friend. :)

Last edited:

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You know if you "just land" on a thread, and your old.. & your humour/irony is old too, and you then decide to just put up a Pop tune, or say.. an inappropriate Video ?
Is that thread crapping ?
*Asking for my mate. :)
The thread was ruined on his first contribution. Sour grapes because his thread was closed. Move on, nothing to see here..

@newlash09, hopefully you can carry on with your questions 😊

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Unless a room is empty with no absorbant surfaces (even wallpaper) there is no reverb.
No, only an anechoic chamber with total absorption on all surfaces doesn’t have any sound reflections and hence an RT60 of zero. An empty untreated room will have a lengthy RT60, and a treated room should have an RT60 of 600 ms or less depending on its size.

Reactions: newlash09

Le Baron

Fully exonerated
Wammer
Oct 18, 2020
Pays-Bas
AKA
Jean-Marc
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No, only an anechoic chamber with total absorption on all surfaces doesn’t have any sound reflections and hence an RT60 of zero. An empty untreated room will have a lengthy RT60, and a treated room should have an RT60 of 600 ms or less depending on its size.
No. An ordinary furnished room has no useful reverb. This is not debatable.

• Wow
Reactions: DomT

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No. An ordinary furnished room has no useful reverb. This is not debatable.
It depends what exactly you mean by ‘useful reverb’ - we are discussing sound reflection decay time, and maybe you are discussing something else.

An ordinary furnished room is likely to have an excessive RT60 time. I don’t personally think RT60 is all that useful as there is more to treating a room than just ensuring it is below 600 ms or whatever anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles