Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It depends what exactly you mean by ‘useful reverb’ - we are discussing sound reflection decay time, and maybe you are discussing something else.

An ordinary furnished room is likely to have an excessive RT60 time. I don’t personally think RT60 is all that useful as there is more to treating a room than just ensuring it is below 600 ms or whatever anyway.
I recall watching a program about sound (A Sound Odessy I think it was called) and they took a film crew inside a decommissioned ww2 oil storage ‘tank’ at Inchdown near Invergorden. They are inside a mountainside and the concrete has heavily absorbed the heavy fuel oil that was stored in them making the surfaces totally inert and perfect reflectors as far as sound is concerned

at 112 seconds it’s the worlds longest reverb time ….and has no furniture or carpets/curtains in it ….QED

Reactions: DomT

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, I did the usual thing and Googled "What is RT60". The general consensus seems to be something along these lines:

"Reverberation time, or RT60, is a metric which describes the length of time taken for a sound to decay by 60 dB from its original level. "

So not quite your original definition, Mr. @newlash09 but along those lines. Decay by 60dB, not to 60dB

Le Baron

Fully exonerated
Wammer
Oct 18, 2020
Pays-Bas
AKA
Jean-Marc
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It depends what exactly you mean by ‘useful reverb’ - we are discussing sound reflection decay time, and maybe you are discussing something else.

An ordinary furnished room is likely to have an excessive RT60 time. I don’t personally think RT60 is all that useful as there is more to treating a room than just ensuring it is below 600 ms or whatever anyway.
I don't think this is a nomenclature discussion, but it could be. Normal furnished rooms (and I doubt anyone listening to a hi-fi in a room is sitting in some spartan room) don't have any very noticeable reverb. 'Reverb' is the build-up of sound reflections, you are talking about reverberation decay time and it will surely decay so quickly in room with lack of adequate reflection as to be hardly worth mentioning.

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't think this is a nomenclature discussion, but it could be. Normal furnished rooms (and I doubt anyone listening to a hi-fi in a room is sitting in some spartan room) don't have any very noticeable reverb. 'Reverb' is the build-up of sound reflections, you are talking about reverberation decay time and it will surely decay so quickly in room with lack of adequate reflection as to be hardly worth mentioning.
We are discussing the precise meaning of ‘RT60’ and whether on not John Darko correctly explained what it meant in the video linked to be the OP. Several of us have experience of measuring RT60 in our rooms with ‘Room EQ Wizard’ (or REW), and so we are not guessing about it being ‘hardly worth mentioning’ or not.

One issue that I haven’t noticed being pointed out so far is that an RT60 time is for a specific frequency, and so ordinary room furnishings might improve it at high frequencies, but not be so effective in reducing the RT60 time at mid range frequencies.

Reactions: newlash09

steve 57

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Dec 7, 2008
east yorks, , UK
AKA
steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
My lads sitting room has no carpets or curtains and lots of glass and is also quite a big long room.
The reverberation from just talking is quite noticeable and for me quite irritating.
Style over function?

Reactions: newlash09

Le Baron

Fully exonerated
Wammer
Oct 18, 2020
Pays-Bas
AKA
Jean-Marc
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
We are discussing the precise meaning of ‘RT60’ and whether on not John Darko correctly explained what it meant in the video linked to be the OP. Several of us have experience of measuring RT60 in our rooms with ‘Room EQ Wizard’ (or REW), and so we are not guessing about it being ‘hardly worth mentioning’ or not.

One issue that I haven’t noticed being pointed out so far is that an RT60 time is for a specific frequency, and so ordinary room furnishings might improve it at high frequencies, but not be so effective in reducing the RT60 time at mid range frequencies.
Well In that sense it's just overscrupulous nonsense. There's not much decay to measure in an unsuitable room. Put your instruments away.

• Haha
Reactions: DomT

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My lads sitting room has no carpets or curtains and lots of glass and is also quite a big long room.
The reverberation from just talking is quite noticeable and for me quite irritating.
Style over function?
If he wants to play a lot of organ or choral music and emulate the acoustic from a cathedral, no. Anything else, quite likely 🙂

In seriousness that does sound like a bit of a nightmare in audio terms, but then again a lot depends on placement, seating position, volume of replay and of course personal preference. Sitting nearfield and listening at relatively low volumes probably wouldn't show up so many issues as belting it out at concert levels and sitting 25ft away

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.