Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 10, 2018
North Somerset UK
AKA
Raymond
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Although I grew up in the 70s and 80s so have both vinyl and cds I have a real dislike of physical formats - much preferring to rip to PC and playback via USB to my Hifi. This is in part due to the storage issues that physical media creates and partly because I never actually listen to whole albums - much preferring to listen to music library on random or add a selection of albums to a playlist. That said I still do buy the odd CD but I have found that charity shops mainly sell the same old cr*p and the prices of used discs on eBay and Amazon etc has risen massively in the last few years.
I now tend to download albums from Bandcamp and add them to the library on my PC. That way you still own the music, you can either back up your library or download again if you lost it for any reason. Not everyone has space for loads of discs and vinyl cluttering up the place!

Reactions: Leif

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've tried but my records don't fit into my car's CD player.

Wenge1

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Sep 19, 2021
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I love to own my music and to have something to see and touch for my money. Vinyl is my first love followed by cd's. I usually play both formats in any one listening session and so both a turntable and a CDP will always be present in my system.

Tony T

Tony T
Wammer
Jul 14, 2020
London
AKA
Tony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Quite weird to be asking this as I have just bought a stable platter Pioneer cd player off Rabski. Will playing a disc in a cd player become the ritual of placing a vinyl record on the turntable ? Streaming to me these days is just so good so do we actually need the silver disc player anymore ?
I need records and CDs, it’s as much about availability as it is actually wanting a physical copy.

A lot of the music I like simply isn’t available on streaming platforms and because i have a niche taste I don’t believe much will ever be available.

Some artists simply have no interest in having their music available on any of the streaming platforms. The income a few thousand plays delivers is insulting to some artists so they plough their own path.
Some just release CD-R copies and some don’t even want to make their music available digitally. These artists will keep making physical copies until it’s unavailable or impossible to do so.

Idlewithnodrive

You should hear our version of Louie Louie
Wammer Plus
May 7, 2018
Virtually, everywhere
AKA
Mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I need records and CDs, it’s as much about availability as it is actually wanting a physical copy.

A lot of the music I like simply isn’t available on streaming platforms and because i have a niche taste I don’t believe much will ever be available.

Some artists simply have no interest in having their music available on any of the streaming platforms. The income a few thousand plays delivers is insulting to some artists so they plough their own path.
Some just release CD-R copies and some don’t even want to make their music available digitally. These artists will keep making physical copies until it’s unavailable or impossible to do so.
Sounds interesting. What do you listen to Mr T?

Ady

Shoebox Ady. United by a love of music & equipment
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I sold my Rega Saturn cdp about 6yrs ago and a friend kindly ripped all my cd's to a pc then to my nas drive. The cd's have been in the loft since. So obviously I will not be buying any more cd's. I rarely use the nas drive as vinyl is my preferred sound.
Cheers
Ady

Reactions: hiesteem

ChemMan

ChemMan
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Brussels
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm a streamer with two services. I'm less worried about them going out of business and more worried about getting the 1s and 0s. My internet was down last week for a couple hours each morning and I had a brand new DAC to test out. I'd never give my CDs and player up. NEVER. They, along with a coax cable, let me go on listening.

Rayymondo

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 10, 2018
North Somerset UK
AKA
Raymond
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My internet was down last week for a couple hours each morning and I had a brand new DAC to test out.
This is partly why I switched from network attached streamer (Linn) to USB DAC, can still play music from PC when internet playing up. No more pesky internet glitches and drop outs.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Availability cuts both ways, a lot music you can stream but is not available on lp or cd or at very high prices.

Paul68

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 30, 2021
West Lothian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Interesting answers . I have too much invested in cd's to even contemplate selling them . They represent part of my musical journey . With cd's or vinyl you can't really switch hit . You are committed to that piece of music . With streaming you can change your mind very quickly and change without getting out of your seat. That has pro's and cons .
The convenience of Streaming has led me to not buying cd's anymore. I suppose you become seduced into thinking that Streaming has a permanence when that may be entirely false.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Try scaring birds with a download...

Bird-control-1.png
I've got plenty of music that would scare birds. Come to that, I've got a fair bit that scares me :ROFLMAO:

jarvis

Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Devon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Some of us have a lot of investment in both vinyl and CD and do not trust the streaming sources to guarantee that what we want to listen to will always be available.
Case in point; Bollywood music is not to my taste but it could be your favourite band that gets dropped from your chosen streaming service next. Maybe the label and service disagree about something, or a band member has the wrong opinion... Hey presto, your music could be gone 😈

Reactions: audio_PHIL_e

Iceman 16

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 31, 2010
Swansea
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’m not ditching my cdp and cd’s as it still sounds great. Having some physical or tangible media is something that I can really call ’my own’. 😉

Ady

Shoebox Ady. United by a love of music & equipment
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
And the above video is the exact reason I don't like 0's and 1's 🤢

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Nothing weird about that, Edward, you've just scaled-up and modernised what many of us used to do as kids, taping the Top 40 from the radio on a Sunday evening. Brilliant!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles