Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Can we stop calling records vinyl? It's not a vinyl, it's a fuckin record and they are not just PVC.

VINYL-RECORD.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: MVJ

Tony T

Tony T
Wammer
Jul 14, 2020
London
AKA
Tony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sounds interesting. What do you listen to Mr T?
Predominantly House and Techno, Avant Garde & Experimental & Industrial and all the other kinds of associated music between such as Ambient, Krautrock, Contemporary and Musique Concrete.
Or as my wife calls it all, crap.

Reactions: Tony_J

Tony T

Tony T
Wammer
Jul 14, 2020
London
AKA
Tony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Availability cuts both ways, a lot music you can stream but is not available on lp or cd or at very high prices.
I honestly never knew this was a thing, are many artists ditching physical media entirely or just certain releases like Live or Deluxe editions?
I have only purchased one download thus far and I lost it on a corrupt drive. The artist then decided to release it on CD so I had to buy that. Lesson learnt.

Case in point; Bollywood music is not to my taste but it could be your favourite band that gets dropped from your chosen streaming service next. Maybe the label and service disagree about something, or a band member has the wrong opinion... Hey presto, your music could be gone 😈
Has happened before but afaik it’s always then been available elsewhere so not gone, just relocated. If I didn’t buy records or CDs a subscription to two major streaming services wouldn’t be out of line financially at all, it’d only be around the price of one album.

Strider

Show me your Fooses
Wammer Plus
Jan 16, 2006
Here and there
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I must confess that I stream music and couldn't remember when I last played a CD.
Last weekend the boss asked if she could play a particular Spear of Destiny album, I don't have it on a HDD and spent half hour trawling through 500 CDs to find it.
Then had to go through the rigmarole of connecticting the CD player up...
We then spent the rest of the day spinning up some silver discs and I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed my CD collection and how good my Cambridge Audio 840C sounds.
My bint Wholeheartedly agrees because when I got home last night she was playing music for the first time in years because she has no idea how to use the streamer.
She's happy, I'm happy and cashing in the brownie points...

Hifimad1

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 28, 2007
United Kingdom
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have just gone back to playing CD’s full time.For the past year or so I tried to get on with a file based Roon system comprising of an Intel Nuc as a Roon (Rock) controller with its usb output cleaned up via a Mutec MC3 USB (I ripped my CD’s to WAV Files to a USB SSD). This then going into a Metrum Acoustics Pavane DAC. I tried for months to get this to sound as good as CD but couldn’t ! The ripped versions always sounded like a poorer copy with slightly less dynamics and somewhat softer presentation in direct comparison to the actual discs. I’m going to stick with CD the way they were meant to be heard (Red book standard) as to me, the original disc trumps a copied WAV version from a computer drive.I have a large collection of CD’s and I’ve also missed having that direct connection with my collection. I love my CD collection and happy I own the physical original discs.

Last edited:

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I honestly never knew this was a thing, are many artists ditching physical media entirely or just certain releases like Live or Deluxe editions?
I have only purchased one download thus far and I lost it on a corrupt drive. The artist then decided to release it on CD so I had to buy that. Lesson learnt.

Has happened before but afaik it’s always then been available elsewhere so not gone, just relocated. If I didn’t buy records or CDs a subscription to two major streaming services wouldn’t be out of line financially at all, it’d only be around the price of one album.
Releasing cds for artists is expensive, yes some don't have releases or very limited numbers. Even some more mainstream artists may just do an album as download only. When new cds are not avail then prices shoot up for used, I have seen used cds for £400, for an artist I found, went to buy the cd. I never import cds now, costs are too high and you can usually get the download for about £10.
Looking at one I was playing last night, no new cds available, only used and cheapest was around £70.
Can buy the download on Bandcamp for £6. Downloads I would back up on a usb stick or cd.
With cd sales falling, I see this trend growing.
I play £6 pm for Deezer, of course can still buy the music as well.

Reactions: Tony T

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Having looked at the Deezer site the only £6 per month offer is the Student Plan at 50% . Is this what you are getting ? If so are you indeed a Student and what do you have to do to prove that to get the offer ?

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No you got that wrong Whisky or Whiskey is always needed .
I'd agree with the need for whisky, but TBH I've never seen the point of whiskey, a poor substitute in my experience. YMMV...

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I know that some agree with you Tony but my Irish blood (McBride) and for that matter Viking blood ( who knew ? ) has a real taste for Irish malt such as Redbreast has made me a convert a touch on the expensive side these days but if you get a chance give it a try . if you do not like I will buy it off you at the Wam Show , go on you know it makes sense.

savvypaul

NVA Hi-Fi
HiFi Trade
Jan 11, 2017
Durham Uk
nvahifi.co.uk
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Whack for me daddy
I'm a rock'n'roll paddy
Whack for me daddy
I'm a rock'n'roll queen
Whack for me daddy
I'm a rock'n'roll paddy
Stick another record
in the record machine

paddy.jpg

I had my first Paddy when I was 11.

Reactions: Tony_J and bigrod

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Having looked at the Deezer site the only £6 per month offer is the Student Plan at 50% . Is this what you are getting ? If so are you indeed a Student and what do you have to do to prove that to get the offer ?
No, it was a special offer, nothing to do with students, and not on their site, probably finished now, I started in November. It was annual contract but I can cancel at any time.

On Deezer site it says: "Starting from £5.99" is that student offer?

Deals come and go all the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles