Is digital dead as a physical medium .

AndyCC72

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 4, 2021
Bexley, Kent
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It’s dead to me, I’ve over 1k CD’s and they never get played. Streaming on tidal sounds just as good to me.

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It’s dead to me, I’ve over 1k CD’s and they never get played. Streaming on tidal sounds just as good to me.
PVC pipes 1.jpg
This is vinyl. My vinyl is leaking.

Too many Smarties again eh.
I’ve never gone into a builders merchants and asked for some vinyl down pipe , it’s always been “ plastic “ down pipe

Reactions: jkbmusic

naka

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 24, 2015
Not to me.
The pleasure I get from visiting records stores will always maintain my preference for CDs, also I really like the sound, the booklets and the size-practically-portability.
Even searching on Discogs is a pleasure, with the certain that 99 out of 100, I will get exactly what I buy, from whatever country it comes from.

oldfidget

New Wammer
Dec 28, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In a word Roon.
I have ripped 2000 cds on a nas + quobus.
Roon is the cement that digital storage and streaming needed. All the meta data ,links, and information .
For me it makes all other forms of music somewhat disjointed and reliant on my memory....Which is not a good thing!
Roon is like an exciting voyage of discovery every time you pick your tablet up.
I get all the other points of view and all have merits but this is where I am.

Reactions: Rayymondo

tkimages

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 14, 2006
St Helens
AKA
Tillman
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In a word Roon.
I have ripped 2000 cds on a nas + quobus.
Roon is the cement that digital storage and streaming needed. All the meta data ,links, and information .
For me it makes all other forms of music somewhat disjointed and reliant on my memory....Which is not a good thing!
Roon is like an exciting voyage of discovery every time you pick your tablet up.
I get all the other points of view and all have merits but this is where I am.
Same here, Roon and Tidal HiFi are all I need. 30+ years of CD ripped to HDD and no new ones bought for ages. Still have a CD player as it’s an integral part of my Meridian processor but I rarely use it as the differences between CD, ripped CD and Tidal aren’t with worrying about, though Tidal MQA can be a big improvement. Still have some of my 58 yrs worth of vinyl collection, though it very rarely gets played as it’s SQ is below par compared to my digital.

dari

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 1, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I stream but I still play whole albums, unless it is some new music and I don't like.

If I know the album, then it is just the same as playing the cd.

I don't have any playlists.

The difference is choice, I have a library of millions of albums, not just a few hundred I own.

If l discover an artist, I like, I can then play their other albums, read reviews etc. On Fridays, I can check out all the new releases.

CDs bought too many lemons, in the past, because could not hear before buying.
That's pretty much what I do. I have my 'sources' where I discover new music (NTS Radio, Bandcamp + few websites I visit weekly), then look up on streaming, read more about artists I like and follow.
I listen full albums. If I have to skip songs it means I don't like the album.
I download and own what I really like.
I like and listen all my previous purchases and still discover a lot of new music.
I have music on all day, even when I study.
I have a copy of my favourite albums on SD card in my car and on my phone for wireless headphones on the move.
At home it's Mac Mini with Audirvana to play my music library + Tidal into a dac.
I love it.

Reactions: MVJ

theadmans

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2007
Hertford, , United K
AKA
Adam
I have had Qobuz Hi-Res for quite a few years now.

I started with vinyl in the early 80s - not that impressed.

1984 - University Grant - Philips CD 104 - this is pretty good!!!

Now - I have thousands of CDs (many early 80s masterings).

In the 2010s people started streaming - I got a Squeezebox Touch - very, very good!

But you know what?

During the Covid lock down I returned to a CD player through the same DAC as streaming...

...and on my setup a CD player is better.

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well I bought a CD this week that I never knew existed on CD until this week. I am so happy as I have owned it on LP since 1983 and it’s rather worn out and it’s not on streaming services. Happy days.

Reactions: Colinjg

eddie-baby

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 28, 2009
Pembrokehsire
AKA
Eddie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well I bought a CD this week that I never knew existed on CD until this week. I am so happy as I have owned it on LP since 1983 and it’s rather worn out and it’s not on streaming services. Happy days.
A new release vinyl of it will sound better than a CD :)

Andrei

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 28, 2013
Napier
AKA
Andrei
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve bought 1 CD in the last 5 years. I stream whilst I’m working and listen to vinyl for the rare times I get to sit down with it.

We have 2000+ CDs boxed up in the garage, I’d like to rip them but it’s never going to happen whilst I’m still working.

CDs will dwindle away but there will be some market for them for a long time to come, there are so many in the world.

Cheers BB
Don't keep us in suspense dude! What was that one-in-five-year purchase?

(PS if it was by Donnie and Marie Osmond, I will request the mods to ban you :-> )

Headcoat

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Feb 15, 2006
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Is digital dead as a physical medium? Of course not. CD's are still released en masse, every week.

Might it decline a little, possibly. Might it decline a lot, possibly.

Might it have a revival it in 5, or 10, or 15 years etc Possibly.

No doubt people will go off it, people will get back on it, and some will stream too.

Increase in vinyl costs might just drive some of those who like owning the music back to CD. I'm considering exactly that.

Bigger question for me is when will the UK, as with the rest of the world, make ripping CD's people own legal? Absolutely bizarre it's still, on paper, illegal to rip a CD in the UK....

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A new release vinyl of it will sound better than a CD :)
Well I would be delighted if you would arrange a pressing for me as I prefer LPs. The last pressing of this album was in 1979. I would be happy to pay £30 which apparently is the current going rate. 👍🤪

t1no

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 22, 2014
North West
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Having looked at the Deezer site the only £6 per month offer is the Student Plan at 50% . Is this what you are getting ? If so are you indeed a Student and what do you have to do to prove that to get the offer ?
As mentioned by @StingRay Deezer does £5.99/month offers for previous subscribers. I’m also on that deal and I’m long past being a student.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online