Linn Owners

Is the Customer Experience Alive and Well in Hi-Fi?

Craigas

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
Not sure what your thoughts are on the subject, but these days in the retail and service industries, the customer comes last, more so than any other time in history IMHO.

For example, you can see this in the extra fees being applied (e.g baggage fees on planes, no meals included). Tips on interact transactions and the list goes on. In Vancouver, the customer needs to pay for a bag to put the item they just purchased (or bring your own). So..., you buy this product, say for $1500, and the store clerk asks you would you like to purchase a bag for .65 cents. Really, are you kidding me, how about you keep it. Profits first, customer last it seems.

What are you thoughts, do you think the customer experience is still alive and well in Hi-Fi?

In many ways I think it is, but i did notice a reluctance for dealers negotiating on price when covid sales were high, and inventory low.

Reactions: Paulssurround

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I haven’t had any issues with any of the Linn dealers I’ve dealt with in 43 years. One of the industries where the customer still matters. If it doesn’t, then find another dealer.

Regarding your example of the 65 cents bag - in the UK, this results from the Government’s drive to cut down on plastic and to encourage the use of reusable bags. It’s actually law here, that retailers have to charge for bags (probably if they are bigger than a certain number of employees)

’troll

garn63

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
www.avfc.co.uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not sure what your thoughts are on the subject, but these days in the retail and service industries, the customer comes last, more so than any other time in history IMHO.

For example, you can see this in the extra fees being applied (e.g baggage fees on planes, no meals included). Tips on interact transactions and the list goes on. In Vancouver, the customer needs to pay for a bag to put the item they just purchased (or bring your own). So..., you buy this product, say for $1500, and the store clerk asks you would you like to purchase a bag for .65 cents. Really, are you kidding me, how about you keep it. Profits first, customer last it seems.

What are you thoughts, do you think the customer experience is still alive and well in Hi-Fi?

In many ways I think it is, but i did notice a reluctance for dealers negotiating on price when covid sales were high, and inventory low.
I live a long way from any Hifi dealers.
I wanted some ProAc spkrs, so I got in touch with my nearest stockist, Doug Brady of Warrington. A 3 hour drive away.
They sent a pair for me to try. I decided that I would prefer a diff model after a listen. I also wanted to trade in a very large set of spkrs too.
The kind folk at Doug Brady's drove to my house & delivered my new spkrs picking up the ones that I had to trade in.
Old school service. I really like that.
Big thx to all at Doug Brady for making it happen. (y)

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you walk through the door asking for a discount, don't be surprised if enthusiasm about your presence wanes a bit.

I've found that I get better service when I show up ready to spend some money. :)

Craigas

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
Regarding your example of the 65 cents bag - in the UK, this results from the Government’s drive to cut down on plastic and to encourage the use of reusable bags. It’s actually law here, that retailers have to charge for bags (probably if they are bigger than a certain number of employees)

Ahhh, so its the motherships (UK) fault we implemented it here. 😁

More seriously, I get that it's mostly an environmental issue and not the best example, but one that paper (renewable) bags would solve.

’troll

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It can also be the type of customer. In speaking with a dealer, an annoyance is the "hobbyist." That is, someone who is completely kit focused and think they know more than anyone else. Give them a discount and just get them out of the store. :)

Reactions: Moomintroll

Moomintroll

Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Paper bags have never been popular in the UK. Probably because it rains so often.

’troll

Reactions: Rayymondo

Moomintroll

Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Does it? Could do with some rain, hardly had anything for a month, about 1mm.

New York gets far more rain than London, almost double.
Wait till the “summer”…

’troll

Craigas

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
Rain or shine I'll keep coming back to the dealer who provides the best experience.

The good ones get the customers loyalty for sure. They will also put up with the customer who just wants to talk hifi, eventually they will buy, they are just not ready to at the moment.

Wenge1

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Sep 19, 2021
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Does it? Could do with some rain, hardly had anything for a month, about 1mm.

New York gets far more rain than London, almost double.
Depends entirely where you live in the UK. Here on the west side of West Yorkshire (up in the Pennines) we have had an awful lot of rain so far this winter. All of the reservoirs are now full again after getting very low at the end of the summer. But where you are in Suffolk - well that has been very dry (relatively speaking).

Reactions: Moomintroll

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Depends entirely where you live in the UK. Here on the west side of West Yorkshire (up in the Pennines) we have had an awful lot of rain so far this winter. All of the reservoirs are now full again after getting very low at the end of the summer. But where you are in Suffolk - well that has been very dry (relatively speaking).
Yes true, the west is a lot wetter than the east. I'm on the east coast. Last summer we missed all the rain that west Suffolk got, at least it was cooler. This winter pretty average until the last 4 weeks. At least don't need to water the garden much.
Always raining in England is a myth, it is a lot drier than many countries.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Service probably has gone down in the last 20 years or so. Dealers are getting fewer in my area. Difficult to demo different brands. But probably better in the UK, than many other countries. We also have more consumer protection.

Reactions: Wenge1 and Nopiano

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
HiFi was for many years divided between good personal service and advice on one hand, and "pile 'em high and sell 'em cheap" on the other. That has converged somewhat in the last decade or so, when the likes of Richer Sounds offer some of the best advice and the keenest prices. However, they are not Linn dealers!

Linn have always been in the camp of dealer installations and full price as an aim. The boxes even say must be installed by a dealer. Some offer unsurpassed service, and Cymbiosis is one of several Linn experts that is renowned for their service. But those of us here who have built a relationship and had a few discounts, or bought used and installed ourselves, maybe aren't typical. What I hate is the greedy ones who want RRP and expect me to pay shipping both ways - as I found when enquiring about Katalyst upgrades a couple of years ago. Or lazy ones who know less than I can find out via a quick email to helpline@linn.co.uk.

Outside of Hifi I deplore £29 flights where bags cost £50 and seat reservations another £50. Just charge me the £200 it really costs, and give me a bottle of water for free. It's all a con!!

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
HiFi was for many years divided between good personal service and advice on one hand, and "pile 'em high and sell 'em cheap" on the other. That has converged somewhat in the last decade or so, when the likes of Richer Sounds offer some of the best advice and the keenest prices. However, they are not Linn dealers!

Linn have always been in the camp of dealer installations and full price as an aim. The boxes even say must be installed by a dealer. Some offer unsurpassed service, and Cymbiosis is one of several Linn experts that is renowned for their service. But those of us here who have built a relationship and had a few discounts, or bought used and installed ourselves, maybe aren't typical. What I hate is the greedy ones who want RRP and expect me to pay shipping both ways - as I found when enquiring about Katalyst upgrades a couple of years ago. Or lazy ones who know less than I can find out via a quick email to helpline@linn.co.uk.

Outside of Hifi I deplore £29 flights where bags cost £50 and seat reservations another £50. Just charge me the £200 it really costs, and give me a bottle of water for free. It's all a con!!
Re flights, why should I pay extra for bags, I don't have. Never paid more than about £12 for a bag when I did have hold luggage and never paid for seats either. If want it included ten use a full service airline but even some of those are now charging to reserve seats.

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In general, I have found retail sales to continue to provide good service for me.

I usually chat up the sales people or waitresses that work there and ask them about their lives and how their day is going. They really appreciate that and want to be thought of as being valued by the customer and that their job matters. Showing an interest in them and respect has gone a long way towards changing my customer experience.

I have had great service from both of my Linn dealers in Vancouver, as I have steered many customers their way, and in some cases helped them find customers for their pre owned Linn.

Many of my HiFi purchases lately have been through a dealer here that allows me to try out everything in my system prior to purchase, to see if it improves my music listening experience. The advice I have been given has been invaluable to taking my Linn system to a level of performance far beyond what I ever thought possible.

I find that if I treat the sales people well that I am often offered a discount without asking. If it is an expensive item, I am not shy to ask for a discount.

My goal is always to provide a win-win for the store and myself.

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Was thinking about the discount demanders. If you walk in asking for a discount, you may be ushered over to the extremely high margin offerings such power conditioners and mains cables. This is where real discounts can be offered, and good profits still made. I was wondering why dealers carry this stuff. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles