Isoacoustics Gaia for Standmount Speakers?

andreweast

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 17, 2009
London (SE)
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Is it worth trying Gaia under the stands for stand-mount speakers, if I'm already using Iso-pucks on top of the stands?

I've seen various reviews using the Gaia under stands where the speakers are directly coupled, but not seen anyone using them both under and on top of stands.

I'm thinking of trying them on Tannoy Eaton Legacy, which are over 20kg each. I do experience a little bass overhang with these speakers in my room, and it may be naive to think that supports can ameliorate this. They can't do anything about my 40Hz room mode after all. But the Legacy have a slightly eccentric bass voicing, starting to roll off quite high but still going pretty low, so I find it quite tricky to hear what's happening with them. Anything that will tighten the bass a little could be welcome.

I'm in Canada at the moment where Iso-acosutics stuff is cheaper, so wondering whether to buy some here. I've seen the last couple of pairs of Gaia 3 have sold on here for £290. Is that a realistic second hand selling price if they don't do it for me?

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Is it worth trying Gaia under the stands for stand-mount speakers, if I'm already using Iso-pucks on top of the stands?

I've seen various reviews using the Gaia under stands where the speakers are directly coupled, but not seen anyone using them both under and on top of stands.

I'm thinking of trying them on Tannoy Eaton Legacy, which are over 20kg each. I do experience a little bass overhang with these speakers in my room, and it may be naive to think that supports can ameliorate this. They can't do anything about my 40Hz room mode after all. But the Legacy have a slightly eccentric bass voicing, starting to roll off quite high but still going pretty low, so I find it quite tricky to hear what's happening with them. Anything that will tighten the bass a little could be welcome.

I'm in Canada at the moment where Iso-acosutics stuff is cheaper, so wondering whether to buy some here. I've seen the last couple of pairs of Gaia 3 have sold on here for £290. Is that a realistic second hand selling price if they don't do it for me?
I use Gaias on the bottom of the stands with two of the speaker pairs I own. I use Atacama Gel pads on the top of the stands, and they are stiffer than Isopucks and much cheaper. I also use GIK T40 Scopus tuned membrane bass traps which are certainly a very effective way of dealing with 40 Hz room modes.

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just to say that whilst GAIAs are not meant to work non carpet we are using ours on a tiled floor with a 100% wool rug on top and it works well. It’s not a thick rug and has no underlay. Am still laughing my head off at the dramatic difference that it has made to my room. It stopped me from buying yet another temporary pair of speakers.

Reactions: ClassikFan

nomore landings

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 27, 2018
Dawson's Field
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
+1 for both GIK tri bass traps and GAIA - added to my Rubicon 6 floorstanders since new 4 years ago. Atacama gels, once redundant, are now used under a soundbar and my Node. Epicons don’t need GAIAs, but made a significant enhancement to the Rubicons. Believe they are Canadian so hopefully a better price on home turf.

Reactions: DomT

hearhere

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just to say that whilst GAIAs are not meant to work non carpet we are using ours on a tiled floor with a 100% wool rug on top and it works well. It’s not a thick rug and has no underlay. Am still laughing my head off at the dramatic difference that it has made to my room. It stopped me from buying yet another temporary pair of speakers.
But IsoAcoustic offer a shoe for the GAIAs specifically for those using GAIAs on carpets. Perhaps laugh louder with a set of these under your GAIAs! Peter

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use iso pucks under my tannoy eaton legacy with no problem . It grips the wood well . No bass problems at all . Its worth trying alternatives as long as it does not hurt the veneer

Personally i would be looking at the amps maybe

andreweast

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 17, 2009
London (SE)
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Incidentally what settings are the legacy on .

Level settings.

I have isopucks under the speakers. I'm just thinking about trying Gaia because I'm on holiday in Canada and they are cheaper. I'm thinking I can sell them on at little loss if they don't work for me, so it's worth a try.

Bass overhang may be not quite what I'm experiencing. I think I should post again when I'm back in the UK and actually listening. It's perhaps a slightly excessive scale and richness for my room, which may well be ameliorated by a few tweaks, such as changing input valves. First step is getting my amps serviced, then I'll try smaller tweaks, including these Gaia.

Reactions: hifinutt

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Level settings.

I have isopucks under the speakers. I'm just thinking about trying Gaia because I'm on holiday in Canada and they are cheaper. I'm thinking I can sell them on at little loss if they don't work for me, so it's worth a try.

Bass overhang may be not quite what I'm experiencing. I think I should post again when I'm back in the UK and actually listening. It's perhaps a slightly excessive scale and richness for my room, which may well be ameliorated by a few tweaks, such as changing input valves. First step is getting my amps serviced, then I'll try smaller tweaks, including these Gaia.
great . yes i have level settings . you may find a bit of difference from isopucks to gaia .. be very interesting if you do . the difference of course between the 3ls is that you cant screw them in so whether that makes any difference i dont know

andreweast

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 17, 2009
London (SE)
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
great . yes i have level settings . you may find a bit of difference from isopucks to gaia .. be very interesting if you do . the difference of course between the 3ls is that you cant screw them in so whether that makes any difference i dont know

Not quite sure what you mean about screwing them in. The Gaia 3 will screw into my stands, then I'll have the pucks on top of them.

I bought the Gaia today from the very excellent Distinctive Audio in Ottawa, as well as some supremely matched Gold Lion ECC82, so I'm ready for the first stage of my tweakathon when I get back to the UK. Or actually, the second stage, as I'm going to get my amps sorted first. Looking forward to it.

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
ah i understand thanks . i was just thinking there are no screw holes in the eaton as opposed to floorstanders

have to say that the F5 clones from joe henry just seem to get better and better with the eatons

Minicoupeman

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 21, 2015
Sittingbourne
AKA
Andy Andrews
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use them under ATC19’s on Atacarma stands on bamboo ‘tiles’. Yes. They not only work under stand mount speakers IMO they are essential.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles