Sheva

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 4, 2006
Chiavenna
AKA
Sheva
I’m freaking out big-time …

At the start of August an act of God destroyed my Audiolab 8000A, and since I already had the 8000CD, I just purchased the new 8000S to plonk in its place. Within a couple of days it was sounding just like the old 8000A used to, with not so much in the lower bass region but clear midrange and treble which really sounds good with a lot of the electronic music I listen to. Occasionally I would hear a bit of detail which I thought I hadn’t heard before, but overall it met my expectations in that it would be a very slight improvement over the old model.

Last week, the sound started to oscillate a bit, and sounded particularly trebly, but it then settled down again. Then at the weekend I thought I was getting a some deeper bass through, in fact on a thread about the Heathrow show I wrote that it was maybe just a psychological improvement having heard a lot of expensive dross on Saturday. Monday afternoon was really weird, at first I thought the left channel had almost gone completely, and then I thought the tweeters were damaged since all I was getting was a mushy bass. Infact, I was on my knees with my ear close to the tweeter to hear if there was any at all. Eventually it sort of stabilized to its average level, but then when I started to listen to some music later in the evening, it was as if I had a completely new system. Not just night and day changes, but seemingly extraterrestrial and bigger-than-the-second-coming (I AM NOT EXAGGERATING).

The depth of the bass and scale of the sound is light years ahead of what I was getting for the previous 6 or 7 weeks of the 8000S, or 15 years of the 8000A. The levels of detail are astronomical in comparison. In some previous threads I have made derogatory remarks to people who have claimed to suddenly be hearing additional information from their discs, but not any more.

I am really freaking out. I’m pretty damned certain it must be burn-in of the new amp. Some Russ Andrews literature that I picked up on Saturday actually identifies that for cables, the process isn’t a gradual improvement, but goes through cycles, and this fits in.

I’ve done some checks: the speakers are in exactly the same position as always, and haven’t suddenly moved to the corners of the room without me noticing; there are no large lumps of wax on the pillows. Maybe there was a loose connection to the speakers? The only potential external factor is that the flat below has been completely rewired in the last couple of weeks, and maybe something has happened to the mains… this is a crazy suggestion?

If my new amp were from a different manufacturer or were a lot more expensive, I would be able to correlate the thoughts currently in my head and make sense of it all… but its not… it’s effectively the same model isn’t it? Is it possible that the previous amp never burnt in? I’m freaking out again (cue music from The Twilight Zone).

I don’t want this thread to be an examination of my system or my ears, however if anybody is very familiar with Audiolab, I would be very interested in their view of the relative merits and sounds of the amps.

What does really fascinate me now though is the burn-in process and its effects. I remember reading on the forum that somebody with ProAcs is getting changes in sound after a number of months. Has anybody else got sudden monumental changes like myself? Please enlighten me before I freak out again.

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
sheva...sounds like a combination of things..amp burn in is a possibility, as is, mains fluctuation, as is paranoia after visiting hifi show/worrying about amp burn in!
smile.png

best advice is take a holiday and leave it on whilst away. Come back in a positive frame of mind, put on your fave album and smile:)
smile.png
:)
smile.png

E

earl of sodbury

Sounds like burn-in.

I'm still not sure about wire :Not Sure:but some components like capacitors can take yonks to burn-in. Something I read a while back suggested that the most important component of their burn-in wasn't music playing through them, but charge/discharge cycles - in the same way that the performance of brand-new rechargable batteries improves after the first couple of charges.

Of course charge/discharge, especially in the power supply,may only happen at switch-on/switch-off, so if you don't do itthat often, it could take many moons.

It may be that AND your neighbours' rewire of course - mains matters IME.

churz, eofs

Sheva

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 4, 2006
Chiavenna
AKA
Sheva
i'm alreadyin a positive state of mind, because the sound is so much better than ever... and am listening to all fave albums again...

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Does mains matter?

.......oh yeah!

Do quality mains conditioners improve the sound of your hi-fi?

........OH YEAH!!!!!!!!!!

Anthony

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 9, 2006
Edinburgh, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sheva wrote:

I’m freaking out big-time …Monday afternoon was really weird, at first I thought the left channel had almost gone completely, and then I thought the tweeters were damaged since all I was getting was a mushy bass. Infact, I was on my knees with my ear close to the tweeter to hear if there was any at all. Eventually it sort of stabilized to its average level, but then when I started to listen to some music later in the evening, it was as if I had a completely new system. Not just night and day changes, but seemingly extraterrestrial and bigger-than-the-second-coming (I AM NOT EXAGGERATING).
:djermaica::djermaica:
00001664.gif.f3a6986ade705efb256520e3dde6edd1.gif
:djermaica::djermaica:

the all too familiar crazed ramblings of a toker/mushie fiend:p

mosfet

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Richard
With any hi-fi system the component with the most variables is the organic one on the receiving end. After that, I’d say variations in mains quality and, speculatively, time changes in the dielectric of capacitors. Cable burn-in is nonsense and Russ Andrews is a muppet.

Sheva

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 4, 2006
Chiavenna
AKA
Sheva
earl of sodbury wrote:

Sounds like burn-in.I'm still not sure about wire :Not Sure:but some components like capacitors can take yonks to burn-in. Something I read a while back suggested that the most important component of their burn-in wasn't music playing through them, but charge/discharge cycles - in the same way that the performance of brand-new rechargable batteries improves after the first couple of charges.

Of course charge/discharge, especially in the power supply,may only happen at switch-on/switch-off, so if you don't do itthat often, it could take many moons.

It may be that AND your neighbours' rewire of course - mains matters IME.

churz, eofs
Theres some Russ Andrews literature that says that cables can take upto 500 hours to burn in, so i assumed wires may be the same. Mosfets obviously agrees with your initial view. So which components do take time to improve, just speakers ?

If its not the amp, it mustbe the mains, but i find it very difficult to believe that some rewiringin the flat below can make such a difference to my supply
71_71.gif.90e48c720ca56a2d2fa0532dd3380cc7.gif

PS Earl, can you make sure that Andi is forcefed the hottest curry possible at your bakeoff, there's a drink in it for you. Cheers.

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
sigh...

over time, an aged man once told me, the crystals in a cable reorganize themselves to lie more sympathetically along the path the flow of electrons is taking, thus smoothing that flow and improving the sound we hear. Russ knows this takes time, as does the annual migration of the wandering albatros, and the great herds of Bison that roam the plains, but they too are guided by mystic forces that we little understand at present.

And the aged man charged me £100 a foot for his cables, so what he said must be true.

wwwwoooooooooo:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles