Jazz Club

pmcuk

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Kensington, London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This thread is going to cost me a fortune, but at least it will be an ideal 'what do you want for Christmas' solution 😁
Check out Clifford Jordan. Very soulful and lyrical. He made some wonderful albums. The best known is Glass Bead Games, but also check out Firm Roots, Live at Ethels and the live albums with Cedar Walton, Sam Jones and Billy Higgins.

pmcuk

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Kensington, London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
On the subject of soulful sax players, there are a couple of unique albums made by Archie Shepp with pianist Horace Parlan. I have a soft spot for these two albums not just for Shepp but because I had the great good fortune to do a small Scandinavian tour on bass with Horace and US guitarist Paul Weeden, whose bands I played in for a number of years. Horace was a lovely guy, partially crippled by polio - he walked with a limp and only had part use of his right hand. He made up for this with the most exquisite chords and voicings, as you can also hear on the records he made with Mingus.

These two albums are spirituals, blues and similarly soulful pieces, including the theme from Dvorak's New World Symphony - Goin' Home. That track will melt your heart.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Check out Clifford Jordan. Very soulful and lyrical. He made some wonderful albums. The best known is Glass Bead Games, but also check out Firm Roots, Live at Ethels and the live albums with Cedar Walton, Sam Jones and Billy Higgins.
Anything that combines jazz with one of my favoutite books from teenage years has got to go on my 'must listen' list.

Reactions: JamieMcC and pmcuk

culturecrammer

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 14, 2010
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Fun fact - the highlight track on Glass Bead Games, 'John Coltrane' was written by the bass player, one Bill Lee - who is Spike Lee's dad.

Reactions: pmcuk

culturecrammer

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 14, 2010
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
On the subject of soulful sax players, there are a couple of unique albums made by Archie Shepp with pianist Horace Parlan. I have a soft spot for these two albums not just for Shepp but because I had the great good fortune to do a small Scandinavian tour on bass with Horace and US guitarist Paul Weeden, whose bands I played in for a number of years. Horace was a lovely guy, partially crippled by polio - he walked with a limp and only had part use of his right hand. He made up for this with the most exquisite chords and voicings, as you can also hear on the records he made with Mingus.

These two albums are spirituals, blues and similarly soulful pieces, including the theme from Dvorak's New World Symphony - Goin' Home. That track will melt your heart.

Wow, you worked with Horace Parlan? Amazing 😍

Reactions: deggie and pmcuk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles