= Matt49
Wammer
Apr 5, 2013
London
AKA
Matt
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
EDIT: Price reduction to £2,750 (before I put these up for sale on eBay at a higher price!)

For sale this pair of JBL 4429 speakers. £3,250.

IMG_4496.jpg

The 4429s are a pocket battleship version of the classic 1970s style of JBL speakers: a horn-loaded top end and large woofer, in this case 12" (300 mm). As such, they provide powerful, clean bass down to around 40Hz, whilst working well in the smaller living rooms we typically have in the UK. Specifications are here.

The speakers are in good condition. There are some small dents on a couple of the corners, but these are only visible up close. The speakers have done the rounds: they were demo speakers and before that were refurbished by JBL. However, their cosmetic condition is generally good, and they're sonically impeccable.

For more photos, please see the thread below.

I have the original boxes.

Also included in the price is a pair of custom-made stands that lift the speakers 240 mm off the floor, giving a total height of 875 mm (see photos). The stands have adjustable feet. They were made for me by Custom Design specifically for these speakers and they fit the speakers perfectly.

I've been extremely happy with the 4429s. In fact I own another pair that I'm keeping in my second system. The reason for selling this pair is that I've recently upgraded to their bigger cousin, the JBL 4367.

Collection only please. West London, close to junction 1 of the M4.

Last edited:

Gizza

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Mar 12, 2011
Sutton Coldfield
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have the 4365's, the older version of your 4367's and love them to bits. Until I heard them, I hadn't realised that JBL did such good loudspeakers. I guess they aren't marketed very well here in the UK. Anyone in the market for a good quality, dynamic, high efficiency loudspeaker should take a look (and listen) to these.
A review here
...https://www.thespeakershacks.co.uk/2019/09/jbl-4429-studio-monitor-review.html?m=1

Reactions: graham67

oldius

Staff member
Dec 30, 2008
Liverpool
AKA
Geoff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I have the 4365's, the older version of your 4367's and love them to bits. Until I heard them, I hadn't realised that JBL did such good loudspeakers. I guess they aren't marketed very well here in the UK. Anyone in the market for a good quality, dynamic, high efficiency loudspeaker should take a look (and listen) to these.
A review here
...https://www.thespeakershacks.co.uk/2019/09/jbl-4429-studio-monitor-review.html?m=1
I love JBL speakers, as do much of the world. It is a real shame that our hifi press never really gave non-British products the respect some of them deserved.

Good luck with your sale.

Reactions: Gizza

graham67

Wammer
Wammer
May 19, 2010
Yes I keep looking at these. I have old 4311 JbLs which I love. But would really like to hear their modern equivalents!

Reactions: jwg1749

jwg1749

= Matt49
Wammer
Apr 5, 2013
London
AKA
Matt
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A review here
Thanks Gizza, everything you say is true. These have great dynamics and are very versatile. The combo of horn-loaded compression drivers and big woofers is so good. The newer ones are, I think, even better, because some serious research has gone into the waveguides which means that the dispersion is very even through the crossover point.

Reactions: Tony_J and Gizza

jwg1749

= Matt49
Wammer
Apr 5, 2013
London
AKA
Matt
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I love JBL speakers, as do much of the world. It is a real shame that our hifi press never really gave non-British products the respect some of them deserved.

Good luck with your sale.
Thanks, yes, JBL speakers have a weird and quite unjustified reputation in the UK.

oldius

Staff member
Dec 30, 2008
Liverpool
AKA
Geoff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Thanks, yes, JBL speakers have a weird and quite unjustified reputation in the UK.
Indeed, in many countries, especially in the Far East, they are respected hugely and used across a wide range of musical genres, and they were for many years the largest supplier of monitors for major studios.

Reactions: Gizza and graham67

graham67

Wammer
Wammer
May 19, 2010
According to the guy who commissioned the refurb of the 4311s I now count myself lucky to own they were, ahem, liberated from CBS studios Chicago.

• Wow
Reactions: Gizza and oldius

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Staff online