Jico SAS - for old M75EJ - Good idea?

pealy

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2012
Lancashire
AKA
Neil
Hi! Just been through an upgrade cycle and ended back at the beginning (slightly poorer!). I thought chucking a load of cash at a newish Rega deck with Exact MM would be an improvement but on comparison I decided my trusty Systemdek 11x with modded RB250 and Shure M75EJ is just as good, if not better. I've sold the Rega and thought I might lavish some of the money on the 11x.

I really like my M75EJ cart, I've had it for at least 10 years (2nd hand when I got it) and just keep coming back to it. I love the openness, clarity and detail, the only thing I don't like is there's too much sssibiliance. It's not awful, about the same level as the Exact but the one thing I'd like to address, bass & power aren't high on my agenda at all. The stylus is probably more like 15 years old so I'm thinking a Jiso SAS replacement might be a good investment.

Is it a good idea to invest in the stylus for such an old cart? Do they deteriorate over time? I've seen a boxed-unused M75EJ Type II for sale elsewhere and wondered whether it might be prudent to consider that too.

Comments appreciated.

P.S. Wall-shelf, Acrylic Platter & Arm Re-wire all under consideration too.

themadlatvian

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 28, 2008
Huddersfield
AKA
John
Neil - have you got any evidence of stylus wear on your Shure? If not then you might be as well just carrying on with it. Shure cartridges are not everyone's cup of tea - they are mine, I have five of them including four varied V15s! - but if you like them then they can be very rewarding.

The JICO SAS stylus certainly wouldn't be a waste of money, and would undoubtedly improve your cartridge's performance, I just think it might not be necessary yet.

As to the NOS Shure you have seen for sale - probably you would not gain anything over your present cartridge, except perhaps a newer stylus!

Consider a Shure V15 Type III as a worthy upgrade. I use a Type V, but they are very expensive at the moment.

:^

bmtell

Wammer
Wammer
May 9, 2010
Northampton
AKA
Mark
Or try an MX97. They are supposed to be quite good.

The stylus profile of the Jico SAS is quite different from your M75 and will probably sound quite different. Have you thought about the normal Jico stylus.

I have a SAS on my VST V and it is quite good.

pealy

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2012
Lancashire
AKA
Neil
Neil - have you got any evidence of stylus wear on your Shure:^
Hi - the sibilance is the only thing making me wonder about the stylus. Other than that, I wouldn't know what to look for, I'll google around to see what I should be looking for.

A V15III has always been something I've thought about - perhaps I should get one to try out before I decide what to do.

..The NOS is cart only so wouldn't even gain that!

- - - Updated - - -

Or try an MX97. They are supposed to be quite good. The stylus profile of the Jico SAS is quite different.
Not come across the MX97 - will have a look.

Good point about the stylus - I do like the current sound so if "better" sounds different I could be disappointed..

bmtell

Wammer
Wammer
May 9, 2010
Northampton
AKA
Mark
Hi - the sibilance is the only thing making me wonder about the stylus. Other than that, I wouldn't know what to look for, I'll google around to see what I should be looking for.A V15III has always been something I've thought about - perhaps I should get one to try out before I decide what to do.

..The NOS is cart only so wouldn't even gain that!

- - - Updated - - -

Not come across the MX97 - will have a look.

Good point about the stylus - I do like the current sound so if "better" sounds different I could be disappointed..
It's very difficult to see wear on a stylus. Here's a link to a picture of a very worn M95E stylus I had.

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?92848-Stylus-closeup

If anyone is interested in an instrument to take pictures of their stylii then we have a used SEM here that you could have for £25k.

There are plenty of descriptions on the web about what to listen for with a worn stylus.

pealy

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2012
Lancashire
AKA
Neil
It's very difficult to see wear on a stylus. Here's a link to a picture of a very worn M95E stylus I had.
Not sure the kids' "My First Microscope" is going to be much use here.. Your pictures just look like weather maps to me anyway.. £25K to check-out a £80 stylus? Hmm not?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online