jumpers?

roll_with_it

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 16, 2005
Middlesbrough, Cleve
Is it worth changing my speaker links for short runs of decent speaker cable? Im using DNM Reson solid core cable. Would this be suitable??

I recently tried Chord Rumour, but no real difference, so im sticking with the DNM for now.

technobear

Ursine Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2005
Glastonbury, UK
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
An easy way to see if there is a difference is to move the speaker cable to the other set of binding posts. That is, if the speaker cable goes into the bass posts, move it to the treble posts and vice versa. The difference in sound will show you how awful (or not) your links are.

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Do you mean you're still using the metal bar links?

If so then cut some short lengths of the speaker cable and use that instead.

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
I use the same cable as the speaker cable.

Even if the cable has been factory terminated most HiFi shops will sell you (or give you if you ask) a small offcut.

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A true audiophile speaker has only single-wire terminals.
knobhead.gif.1aeed4448a75af39cdfcbc1c618d08b5.gif

Dyns, AVI:), Vienna Acoustics:cool: ... you get the idea

Borats Baby

Wammer
Wammer
May 2, 2006
Boredsville, , Unite
roll_with_it wrote:

yeah, I think i'll try the DNM cable. I'll let you know the differences, if any!
I think the differences one hears with this sort of 'upgrade' is minute. Thats not to say it dont exist, just maybe inaudible.

I recenty made myself a few mains cables and a 4 way gang using really thick armoured cable becausea mate gave me it for free. Until then, I'd always used whatever cables came with kit. (mains anyway)

After I'd plugged everything back in with my new cables, hey presto . . . . .

No difference at all..

However, for one reason or another, I turned the volume all the way to the max when a cd was on pause. . . . . Silence. Where there was a hiss and hum at that volume before, there was now silence.

So while these upgrades appear to do nowt, they are doing something..

roll_with_it

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 16, 2005
Middlesbrough, Cleve
Borats Baby wrote:

roll_with_it wrote:
yeah, I think i'll try the DNM cable. I'll let you know the differences, if any!
I think the differences one hears with this sort of 'upgrade' is minute. Thats not to say it dont exist, just maybe inaudible.

I recenty made myself a few mains cables and a 4 way gang using really thick armoured cable becausea mate gave me it for free. Until then, I'd always used whatever cables came with kit. (mains anyway)

No difference at all..

However, for one reason or another, I turned the volume all the way to the max when a cd was on pause. . . . . Silence. Where there was a hiss and hum at that volume before, there was now silence.

yeah its always worth trying these things. Actually, I bought a Nordost power cable from a member here a while back, and it definately improved things. Also, i've tried a fair few ICs and speaker cables, all of which have made noticeable differences. For instance the DNM speaker cable gives a lot more detailed, brighter soundthan the Black Rhodium cable I had (in my system anyway).

Mains cables have made the least difference though. I think this generally depend on the quality of your mains.

icehockeyboy

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Torquay Devon. UK
AKA
Craig
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Have to agree, just shove your existing cable thru both holes, i couldnt detect a difference when replacing my chord odyssey jumpers, for Frontloaters "better" ones........

thrunobulax

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 3, 2006
derby, , United King
Borats Baby wrote:

roll_with_it wrote:

No difference at all..

However, for one reason or another, I turned the volume all the way to the max when a cd was

on pause. . . . . Silence. Where there was a hiss and hum at that volume before, there was now silence.

Exactly, i think its RF, and i notice it on my system with the inky blacks, i found the same thing happened when i fitted Kimber 8tc speaker cable too, the first CD i put on after fitting it was John Mcloughlins Remember shakti and i knew immiediatly it was a worthwhile spend.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zlatan