Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi all I have a Concordant Exhillirant Vlave Pre . I bought this second hand about 12 months ago and it came with a full set of valves when checked all light up and all seem to work . However due to having to use quite a high volume setting I am now starting to notice a bit of hash/hum coming from the speakers.

When I got the pre I checked and noted all the valves it uses and over a few months bought a full set of replacements so that I had replacements . Most are what i sure would be called reasonable rather than top quality valves as I refuse to pay the really silly prices often asked for NOS or the like.

Would it be worth my while doing a complete valve swap for the new ones I have ? As the current ones still seeming to work could keep hold of them as back up and do a slow purchase agin of replacements til I have ful new set again .

Do you think this would address the noise issue ? Is it a good idea to replace full set in one go like this ? Any advice appreciated .

naxos10

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 8, 2009
Staffordshire
AKA
Alan
Valve amps can produce a range of wonderfull sounds (hash) through speakers when no music is being played. It is normally very low volume and not heard when the music is playing.

Is this what you are hearing?

Valvebloke

Wammer
Dec 3, 2009
Didcot, Oxon
AKA
Graeme
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Is the noise on both channels or just on one ? If it's just on one then it's likely to be due to a single failing component. It might be a valve, but it might not. Capacitors fail surprisingly often (well, after 30-40 years of seeing it happen it stops being a surprise, but you know what I mean ...). If I were you I'd swap the valves one at a time and write down each time whether the noise gets better or goes away completely or stays the same. With luck you'll find the duff valve. Then you can keep all the other spares knowing they're good too. If you change the lot you may fix the problem but you'll be left with a box of 'spare' valves, one of which is duff but you won't know which one.

VB

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for the aqdvice but due to the fact that the Concordant has a wooden sleeve over the whole unit and the restictive room were it is in my room/rack a one for one substitution is just not possible . So instead will have to go all out and replace the full set and see if this helps. Will drop a line when I have completed this to give those interested the results. Anyone around the North West who has Valve tester ? Could solve the issue of the valves taken out by a quick test on each of them .

vacdac

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2011
Manchester
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Andrew,

Just for while you do the one for one substitutions (Which does seem the most sensible approach:^) Couldn't you just temporarily re site the concordant pre on a a sturdy occasional table straight in front of your main rack, or summat similar & temporarily substitute a longer interconnect to hook up to the poweramp if needed.??? Just for whilst its in a temporary state of undress. :bouncey: :D

Thanks for the aqdvice but due to the fact that the Concordant has a wooden sleeve over the whole unit and the restictive room were it is in my room/rack a one for one substitution is just not possible . So instead will have to go all out and replace the full set and see if this helps. Will drop a line when I have completed this to give those interested the results. Anyone around the North West who has Valve tester ? Could solve the issue of the valves taken out by a quick test on each of them .

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Andrew,Just for while you do the one for one substitutions (Which does seem the most sensible approach:^) Couldn't you just temporarily re site the concordant pre on a a sturdy occasional table straight in front of your main rack, or summat similar & temporarily substitute a longer interconnect to hook up to the poweramp if needed.??? Just for whilst its in a temporary state of undress. :bouncey: :D
:^

What I would do.

budgetblown

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2009
Cardiff, UK
AKA
Leigh
What they said - a pain in the rear but only a temporary one, and it makes sense to try and isolate the faulty valve.

Pussycat

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
Norwich
AKA
Mike
'Due to having to use a high volume setting' suggests some incompatibility with your power amp's, or maybe you just like head-banging ! If the former, I'm not surprised you hear residual noise. Unless you have access to a valve tester, replacing all the valves in one go, though tempting, is counter intuitive, as all the posts above clearly say. The housing/support for you your pre. does appear to be overly cramped, esp. for a valve device; food for thought?

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had noise issues with a power amp and swapping all of the small signal valves eliminated all of the problems and has given me 18 months of uninterrupted music pleasure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles