Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No, not had oral sex with them, setting up my squeezebox and connected it to the 'Out' which means everythong my Croft 7 has went into them. Ho hum. So, estimated damage and costs anyone ? I'll be phoning Harbeth towers tomorrow. Erm, sad face !

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Your Croft only has 50W, which shouldn't be anything like enough to damage the speakers. Or did you somehow mis-connect them? :dunno:

bandit pilot

Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm not sure what your saying Ian. Do you mean that the SB was outputting at the time you connected it and that the amp was open circuit? giving a very loud blast of output?

• Upvote
Reactions: Ian

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The HiFi was already set up and working, has been for ages. I was installing the Squeezebox anew after having it stored after moving. The Croft pre has an 'Out' next to the pre out and I connected it to that. I'll check the valves on the amps. and see if I can get the speakers connected to another system somewhere. Doug, help !! I'll PM you.

Bourney

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 28, 2006
stoke on trent
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sure your amp has gone into 'protection' type mode Ian? My rega monos did this a few years ago. Took my speakers to the dealers next day and by them the amps had reset themselves somehow. I dropped an interconnect while fiddling arou d without switching off.

bandit pilot

Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The HiFi was already set up and working, has been for ages. I was installing the Squeezebox anew after having it stored after moving. The Croft pre has an 'Out' next to the pre out and I connected it to that. I'll check the valves on the amps. and see if I can get the speakers connected to another system somewhere. Doug, help !! I'll PM you.
Nottingham?

Welcome here. I can put them on a tranny amp with relays to test them and go onto the tube amps after. Half hour up the road if I've got your location right.

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Are you saying you connected the power amp to the "OUT" (= full volume to the speakers) or that you connected the Squeezebox to the "OUT"? Either way, you shouldn't damage the speakers.

AmDismal

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2007
If you connected the SB to an output of the pre-amp, I doubt you'd kill the speakers.

If you have somehow managed to put a full volume signal into the speakers, you could easily damage the tweeters; 50W could also do some damage to the bass units as they are not designed for much power.

Can you describe more clearly exactly what you did, and what sound (if any) you are getting?

Nagraboy

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2014
Nottingham
AKA
Greg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Are you saying you connected the power amp to the "OUT" (= full volume to the speakers) or that you connected the Squeezebox to the "OUT"? Either way, you shouldn't damage the speakers.
I'm a bit confused too; hope the Harbs are ok Ian.

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Harbeth website rates them as 50W continuous, so a short burst shouldn't damage them, surely?

Bourney

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 28, 2006
stoke on trent
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
An amp out putting full power will be distorting and that's what will nadge the speakers. Still don't quite understand what connecting an input into an output will do to the speakers.

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Connected the SB to the out, loud distorted music. Played CD afterwards and just now and getting music but very distorted. It's either the speeks or a valve. I'll get the speakers connected to another system first and go from there.

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
sounds like one of those loud hum/bangs when shorting..huge peak of noise, but the actual effect might be more likely to have blown an amp fuse or, as someone said, tripped a protection circuit. Read the manual to reset it and test all the fuses then try again. GENTLY! :)

Aha,,we posted at the same moment.

That doesn't sound too clever. Good luck!

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Sounds more likely that you've damaged the pre by short-circuiting the output.

bandit pilot

Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sounds more likely that you've damaged the pre by short-circuiting the output.
My thoughts too. Ian is in my back yard so to speak, and I have enough bits here to sort the process of elimination. Including a s/s power that will handle a dead short without becoming a victim :^

undarra

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 1, 2007
Nr Portsmouth, Hants
AKA
Si
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Ian

Before you get too distraught check all of the fuses on the back of the crofts. There are three on the back of the power amp. I had a similar sound issue after a 'bang pop' moment and feared the worst. I contacted Glenn and he said check the fuses. Why I didn't think of this I don't know! They are a funny value 6.3 amp I think. I found some some at maplin though. If its that and you can't find any I could send you one. Fingers crossed for you!

Cheers, Si

• Upvote
Reactions: Ian

ridley

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 12, 2007
Leicester, , United
AKA
Simon
Ian, did a similar thing with my Croft once, it took out one of the fuses on the rear panel. The result was distorted music & wouldn't play at normal volume. I think/hope this is the problem.

Regards Simon.

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks Simon and Si, there's hope yet. Will report back of course. And thank you so much Rick, will contact you tomorrow. I'll either get fuses from Maplins (they're not 'normal' size) or check out my speakers fist.

The 'Wam helps the foolish ! If it's a fuse I'll be bloody relieved I can tell you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online