Passionate
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
"I had been introduced to Joss Stone's work by a fellow audiophile recently. Putting on her cd, one can hear her lips part...."

tongue.png

Read this if you want to know more:

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/digital/messages/113988.html

Actually, has anyone heard this cdp? Word 'on the street' says its very good. Build looks a bit suspect mind you...

Sony6million

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
United Kingdom
they must be sitting with their eyes closed, hearing what they want to hear. Its all psychological. Isn't she giving up singing to work in her local Spar or something?

Jezzer

Passionate
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Don't know.

I don't think she's very good anyway. Just seems to shout all her songs. Regardless of whether her lips were parting at the time or not...

dudywoxer

Looking for a bigger stirring stick
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have heard it (in France) and it is a better CD spinner than anything else in its price range, and more. It is noteably better then my planet 2000, and will probably be my next spinner. There will be the usual rubbish in the mags, does this better, that better,

blacker blacks, washers whiter etc, In my opinion it just plays music very very well. If you want more in your face, buy naim at twice the price, more bling buy a MF, again at twice the price or more. I heard it in a dealers in Northern France, he had a apollo, brio, and R'3 playing away, and If there is a better sounding £1200 system around I have yet to hear it. Why the build quality comments Jezzer, I have yet to have anything Rega break on me in anway, in 18 years of ownership of one box or another. The name does not make people drool and pose, but the way the kit plays music more buyers should hear it than do at the moment.

Jezzer

Passionate
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Dudy,

Facialooks a bit plasticky in the photos. But at the end of the day, it's all about the sound. Well, I was curious about the Apollo because James Wiggers recommended it over the Rega Jupiter.

I have read a few comments on other forums and they all seem to be good. I need a cd player which is smooth and has good resolution, which doesn't cost too much for now. I could spend around a £1000 but do I really need to?

Others I have considered: Arcam FMJ CD23/33, Copland CDA 289/822.... etc...

Want something with smooth treble and an analogue presentation (but not a Unico).

Curious about Audionet too.

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I heard it with a Mira 3 and R5 Speakers jezzer and it sounded really effing good to me. The build on Rega kit is very high quality IME. My old Mira amp was tank like.

On the basis that the old Planet was almost as good as the old Jupiter, i would say the new appollo could be an improvement on the old jupiter now. If I hadn't found my Copland at a good prie i would probably have an Appollo sat next to me now.

Jezzer

Passionate
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Tempted to get one on a home demo. There's an Audio T not too far from here. Might pop in at some point in the not too distant future.

Anyways, I have a Sony SACD player coming my way which I haven't even heard yet. Looking forward to listening to the one, solitary, SACD disc I own....

dudywoxer

Looking for a bigger stirring stick
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
the copeland has a different presentation to the rega, (I thought it was 1500 ish)

Heard one into a prima luna 2 when I was looking for amps. I don't think you need to spend a grand, find a rega dealer and have a damm good listen, if you want value for your 500 i think the appolo is it, if you are going for the £1k plus then I would wait for the jupiter replacement to appear before deciding. Other than that I really feel that you need to be well over the £1 mark to find a better spinner. Oh and yes the front is a bit odd to look at, but its bloody well screwed on.

On the presentation bit, the copeland is a bit smoother, bit better sound stage (may be)

but the rega has more balls, not hissy spitty, it just gets a hold of the music and plays it. Well defined bass, nice and open on vocals, especially female, when I heard it the guy was playing more jazz than anything, and the timeing was spot on, bear in mind this was through a £300 Brio, and I am well aware of the improvements I have heard in my planet since the Brio went, and the cursa/maia combo came in.

Jezzer

Passionate
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Don't worry Biccy! W&F and I know exactly where you're coming from....

Hence the '
tongue.png
' emoticon in my original post!

Anyway, the Rega Apollo is a tempting proposition at the price. Definitely worth a demo.

artsenna

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 4, 2005
Hanwell, London,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yeah, whats the Doug guy doing referring to Joss Stone in the same sentence as audiophile and in his review. bought her cd to see what the fuss was about. she can make some noise but definitely is not anaudiophile cd.

Ant

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2005
Hythe, Kent
AKA
Antony
I got this far

The very first thing I thought when I heard the Apollo was, "Vinyl is in trouble!" Same richness, live sound, but without the noise.

before I realised it was going to be a "I've got one it's great" thread

Jezzer

Passionate
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Yeah! Joss Stone over-rated. Completely.

Sycophantic rants are so last century. Most 'reviews' on audioreview.com are of that ilk.

Anthony

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 9, 2006
Edinburgh, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
dudywoxer wrote:

Heard one into a prima luna 2 when I was looking for amps. I don't think you need to spend a grand, find a rega dealer and have a damm good listen, if you want value for your 500 i think the appolo is it, if you are going for the £1k plus then I would wait for the jupiter replacement to appear before deciding. Other than that I really feel that you need to be well over the £1 mark to find a better spinner. Oh and yes the front is a bit odd to look at, but its bloody well screwed on. On the presentation bit, the copeland is a bit smoother, bit better sound stage (may be)

but the rega has more balls, not hissy spitty, it just gets a hold of the music and plays it. Well defined bass, nice and open on vocals, especially female, when I heard it the guy was playing more jazz than anything, and the timeing was spot on, bear in mind this was through a £300 Brio, and I am well aware of the improvements I have heard in my planet since the Brio went, and the cursa/maia combo came in.
was looking for new amp and cd player, and demoed the apollo with mira amp, then with primaluna prologue one. the difference b/w amps was night and day (maia a bit lifeless but competent), but in both cases the apollo was just superb and muscially/emotionally was way better than anything else i had heard (Rotel RCD 03, Arcam CD73 and CD192, MF A3.5, Creek CD53, Cyrus CD6). For £500 i thought it was phenomenal (and coming through the Primaluna amp it was something else). Meant i could spend more on a decent amp.

I was most impressed with the way it handled every type of music, and because i listen to such a broad range of stuff it was essential that it was competent in every area. to my ears, it was way better than competent in every area.

eventually found a nearly new primaluna prologue 2 with phono stage for less than primaluna one, and am now waiting for my apollo to turn up (apparently Rega have been inundated with orders and i was told i would have at least a 3 week wait). champing at the bit for it to appear
pray.gif.84955f3b1709939cd9186fd2e3d88a8e.gif

konig

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 26, 2005
Brentwood, Essex, ,
wow and flutter wrote:

Jezzer wrote: Sure it wasn't Sharon Stone :minikiev:
:raoflmfao::raoflmfao::raoflmfao:

Joss Stone - dont like.

Another one is Katie Melua - she is one of the only artsists that I would immediately switch off - dont know what is is about her music but it really grates...

Avoid the 'stunning debut album' brigade....

Jezzer

Passionate
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Now that is interesting...

Sounds like a damn fine cd player. Will definitely have an audition.

3 week waiting list eh?

roll_with_it

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 16, 2005
Middlesbrough, Cleve
Hi all, sorry to but in here. I know it is nice to have a dedicated CD player, but I personally am still trying to work out why we are spending so much on CDPs when we can get a similarly priced DAC which should blow the CDP away in terms of sound qualty. Or is this not alltogether true?

As I am relatively new here, I am just wondering, do most of you have a dedcated CDP or a DAC/cheaper transport combo?

I use a Sony DVD player as transport and a MF X-DAC, and the performance is far better than I would expect from a £300 - 500 CDP.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hczxynbvtr